News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Razorcrypts--a DF AAR

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 16, 2012, 02:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 22, 2012, 06:33:17 PM
Here is a transcript of the action from the perspective of Queequeg: http://i.imgur.com/nDu5A.jpg

Notice, he got promoted to Hammer Lord half way through and then celebrates at the end with a bit of triumphalism by biting a goblin's nose off.

:lol:  I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

The Hammer Lord latches on firmly!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jaron on April 22, 2012, 06:52:04 PM
Is Jaron's duck okay?

Yeah I usually see it standing by Jaron's forge hanging out or following him around while he goes to eat or whatever. I looked just now and couldn't find it at first. Then I looked in the duck pen and found it hanging with other ducks. Probably getting her duck on.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Ed misses seafood.

Caliga's is titled "The Rat of renown".  :lol:

MadImmortalMan

I thought Wags would be in the hospital a while, but I just found him in his workshop. He's still injured, but it looks like he'll be all right.

PDH

Diary of PDH, dwarven historian

'We are doomed, and I knew it from the beginning.  The constant ice and snow, the demonic possessions, the traders bringing in wave after wave of gobbos...I should have taken up that position as 2nd book-keeper at Livercrypts, but I had to have the life of adventure.'

'Sure, things seem alright now, but how long til one of the boys opens up something that should have been left alone down below?  How long til those gobbos who run away come back with something BIG in tow?  How long til that damned vampire whittles himself a key and persuades us all to donate blood?'

'Oh, I'll play it smart, pretend to be fine with everything.  Still, in a century or two when this gets found out, know that "I TOLD YOU SO!"'

'p.s. it sucks having to carve my diary each day in stone blocks so they will last.'
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

After Action Report

Razorcrypts
1 Moonstone 115

I wasn't able to finish the report on the Summer battle before the goblins showed up again the in the fall.

Summary:

The Summer battle went well for the soldiers that bothered to show up.  Thankfully the human traders brought some worthwhile guards along to help pick up the slack from those too busy to defend their own homes.

Peter Wiggin and CountdeMoney showed particular bravery in meeting the enemy and preventing the goblins from entering the fort.

The Fall battle didn't go nearly as well.  In the first wave all of the goblins were caught in traps.  I tried to talk the boss out of this cowardly idea but he wouldn't budge.  He seems to think the safety of the fort is more important than the glory of the Army.  I have to slightly disagree; this Army will keep this fort secure without needing to hide behind walls or tricks.

Thankfully the second and third waves of goblins were met in the field .  One of the civilians, a Legendary Stonecrafter, was caught in the open but in true dwarven spirit didn't run for the walls or behind a line of traps.  He was able to lure the enemy into a trap by the Caravan Guards from the Mountainhome.  I would like to see Wags' bravery cited but as a civilian that is out of my jurisdiction.

Once the squads reached the battle the army showed how much the new training program has helped.  Everyone seemed properly equipped and I didn't hear any rumors of unorthodox tactics (outside of Queequeg gettign a little carried away after things had already been decided).  The War Dogs were fantastic.  I hope the breeding and training program is expanded.  Unfortunately the pastures are still exposed and we lost more livestock.  I may have to look into assigning a permanent garrison there if the boss won't do anything about it.

Awards:

Granite Star-for meeting and killing the enemy:

Peter Wiggin
vonMoltke
CountdeMoney 
Capetan Mihali
Brazen
Jacob
lustindarkness
KRonn
Ed Anger
FunkMonk
Pedrito
Malthus
Octavian
stjaba
Razgovory
Alcibiades
Faeelin
Josephus
Queequeg
Legbiter

Microline Star-for exceptional bravery in battle

Peter Wiggin
katmai

Pitchblende Heart-for suffering a wound in the face of the enemy

Wags

A Citation of Merit to Neil, for his work with the war dogs.

And lastly and heartfelt thank you to human and dwarven the Caravan Guards that helped us defend our home.  It would be nice if they could keep the goblins from following them here, but at least they are willing to stand and fight with us.

MadImmortalMan

16th Moonstone 115, Early Winter

Tonitrus just completed a trade with the Mountainhomes worth 88,690. We got literally everything they brought with them that was of any use to us, including all of their food. And a lot of things we don't need. We even got a big batch of fish, so maybe Ed will be happier. In addition, he snagged a big stack of iron and steel armor and some weapons, various trinkets and luxuries and a couple oddities as well--like huge serrated discs and spiked iron balls the size of a human. I'm not sure what we can use those for, but if we can't be creative enough they can always be melted down and reforged into other things.

I'll ask that engineer Barrister what he thinks of them.

The traders are leaving two guards lighter, but very wealthy.

I'm sure the goods that left here today will make us renowned in the Mountainhomes and their lords will be especially eager to annex Razorcrypts for glorious tribute. I will need to discuss the matter in council. The dwarves have understandable ambivilance toward the homeland for sending us to this frozen hell in the first place. The only place we can get warm is at the forges. Is it any wonder the dwarves spend countless hours there lingering over every detail of their crafts?

I've had an ominous feeling recently, and a strange tingling in my beard.

Ah well. Back to work. While Tonitrus has been occupying himself with trading, parties and digging a new area above the crypts to use for a jail, Admiral Yi has has a different digging project going. He's set out to find the next cavern layer below the one where we get our water. He's found a safe location to dig a shaft and has made his way below. On the way, he found several marble layers, which is a flux stone and valuable for many things.

Ed's work continues to impress, as he commemorates our excellent trading.

Berkut

Berkut is becoming bored, and needs a purpose. Can he go down and help Yi explore the caverns?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

MadImmortalMan

I need to find a law enforcement dwarf soon.

Jacob

I'm glad I finally got a chance to mace a goblin or two.

As for the vomit on the cloak, it's a memento from the ex-girlfriend who got me exiled to begin with (do I still have the cloak?)

MadImmortalMan

Yeah, but the vomit is washed off. The description now says "this item is showing signs of wear".  I don't think it is getting thrown away though.  :)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2012, 10:33:49 PM
Berkut is becoming bored, and needs a purpose. Can he go down and help Yi explore the caverns?

Possibly. Yi is not going in now though. I need to find a good way to get Berkut armed to the teeth and ready before making him do something that might get him killed. I'm thinking a vampire airlock of some sort in Rochester that I can use to bring him supplies.

Edit: Supplies like worthless nobody dwarves to eat...   :menace:

Syt

What's Syt-dorf up to these days? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

Quote from: sbr on April 22, 2012, 10:09:06 PM

Awards:

Granite Star-for meeting and killing the enemy:

Pedrito

:huh: :yeah:
I didn't even know I was arrived! I think in your last report about new arrivals you've posted double Benedict arnold's profile and did not post mine.

What's the profession of my dorf?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: