News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Razorcrypts--a DF AAR

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 16, 2012, 02:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

The board could be better with the width of the pictures.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Solmyr

MadImmortalMan

fahdiz commemorates that poor guy getting fired with a statue and Ed commemorates the statue in a wall engraving. Languish: Assholes since 2003.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Is Dwarf Razgovory okay?  Don't let him get eaten by Dwarf Vampire Berkut.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2012, 09:49:04 AM
Is Dwarf Razgovory okay?  Don't let him get eaten by Dwarf Vampire Berkut.

He's fine. Here he is planting some crops. As you can see, he can take care of himself.

As a side note, the dwarves have totally and completely solved the food production problem. Our stockpiles have food stores: 3138, drink:460. The only thing we have at zero is fish, because all the water on the map is frozen year-round. Didn't stop the Mountainhomes from sending us a plethora of fishermen though.  :glare:

Lots of the dwarves who now have other careers started as fishermen. Solmyr, Eddie teach, Tim and Jaron all were.

Jaron

Is that some kind of cruel joke? Exiling Fishermen to remote corners of the world where they can no longer fish?

Tonitrus

I am surprised DF doesn't have ice fishing...dozens of dwarves huddled over little holes drilled in the ice.  :P

MadImmortalMan

15th Limestone 115, Early Autumn

After the party, Tonitrus did some excellent business with the humans, picking up a lot of wood to keep the furnaces running as well as several new types of human booze. They gave us a good deal this time. Perhaps they are grateful for our aid against the goblins. He is now a legendary broker/Appraiser too.

Tonitrus has an idea to excavate the roadway and add some traps to enhance our defense. It sounds good, so he's off to do that with Admiral Yi as soon as the caravan's business is done.

14th Timber 115, Late Autumn

Alarm! Another goblin ambush is upon us.

They charged up the newly-built causeway, setting off traps.

The Crystalline Hides come charging down the causeway to eliminate the remaining threat, but the foolish goblins that managed to avoid the traps in the first place can't keep their concentration with the dwarves bearing down on them and they all wind up in traps anyway. The Hides never have to swing an axe.

I think sbr is a little disappointed that his squad didn't get bloodied this time.  :lol:

15th Timber 115 Late Autumn

The caravan from Stizashkogan has arrived along with another liaison.  This time the ambush came before the caravan?

Nope.

Sound the alarm! Oh no, they've got Wags surrounded already! he must have been out for a stroll in the clear crisp lung-slicingly cold air when they arrived, and now he's vulnerable. There will be no siege or waiting for traps to take the gobbos. There's no telling what dwarves might be the quickest to be able to respond, so we activate all squads and order them to attack.

Now a second ambush squad of goblins appears just to the south and begins shooting at Wags! Time is of the essence.

Run!

Wags is running, bleeding, toward the gates as several armed dwarves are already charging down the causeway to save him.

Perhaps thinking to involve the newly-arrived caravan's guards in the fray, Wags takes a left turn rather than bolting straight for the door. Katmai, Queequeg and Legbiter are now tumbling into the goblin lines.

Once the majority of the goblins are engaged with the military and the caravan guards, including all the archer goblins, Wags turns south into the hills with two goblin spearmen chasing him. He deftly loops back north keeping them out of the fight for a time, and when he finally reaches sight of the causeway, the plain is littered with dead goblins. Wags has been wounded in the arm, leg and head, so hopefully he will be on his way to doctor Viking shortly. Seeing the carnage before them, the two spearmen give up in despair and flee.

The battle was epic. Dwarves able to respond were: Capetan Mihali, Brazen, Jacob, lustindarkness, KRonn, Ed Anger, Kleves, FunkMonk, Pedrito, Malthus, Peter Wiggin, Octavian, vonMoltke, stjaba, Razgovory, Alcibiades, Faeelin, Josephus, Queequeg, Legbiter and the entire contingent of caravan guards from Stizashkogan.

Casualties suffered: 2 caravan guards dead, Wags injured.

I'm sure many commendations will be awarded today. Katmai is dubbed with a new cognomen.

Legbiter's combat style seems to be stab-then-twist. :P

Here is a transcript of the action from the perspective of Queequeg: http://i.imgur.com/nDu5A.jpg

Notice, he got promoted to Hammer Lord half way through and then celebrates at the end with a bit of triumphalism by biting a goblin's nose off.

PDH

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 22, 2012, 06:30:47 PM
I am surprised DF doesn't have ice fishing...dozens of dwarves huddled over little holes drilled in the ice.  :P

Dwarves would try to build ice-huts made of granite, and that wouldn't do well on the ice...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 22, 2012, 06:30:47 PM

I'm sure they could channel the ice, but our lakes are frozen all the way to the bottom.  :P

MadImmortalMan

This aar has 215 images so far...

Jaron