Started by MadImmortalMan, April 16, 2012, 02:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

So the Vamp was some scrub? :unsure:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: katmai on April 28, 2012, 06:47:10 PM
So the Vamp was some scrub? :unsure:

Yes, some newb who showed up in the last wave of immigrants. Not even impressive like Berkut.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

20th Limestone

The huge goblin force still seems to have no taste for fighting us. The squads have been rotating between watching the gates and being off-duty. The army Neil built remains ever vigilant.

The Helmed Meteors stand guard

-----------------------------------------------

12th Sandstone

A while passed, and we wondered what the goblin force had been up to. Sadly, the news was not good. Ten dwarves had gone out to take the livestock inside from the meadow where they had been grazing. While they were out there, a goblin advance scout had seen the group. In haste, the dwarves gathered the animals and took off for home. Unfortunately, the goblin horde had quickly put together a raiding party and were on their way up the hill. The dwarves were not going to make it, but one dwarf volunteered to screen their retreat and delay the pursuers.

The pursuing force consisted of twelve goblin hammermen and a voracious cave crawler, and just as they were cresting the ridgline, chipwich slammed headlong into them and caught them off-guard.

Most of the group fell down the hill in a mass tangle of bodies, and the ones who didn't get caught in the charge quickly turned to chase the others back down. The result was a bloody spectacle that lasted for what seemed like an eternity, as chipwich whirled and spun with his spear, goblin body parts flying in every direction. The goblins were seemingly unable to hit him at all. Most of chipwich's energy had been spent dodging and blocking the incoming blows until he got tired, and one of the goblins got lucky.

A hammer blow to chip's upper arm caused him to drop his shield. He was able to hold them off a bit longer, whirling his spear to block the hammer blows, but then he was forced to drop his spear when the cave crawler bit on to his leg and would not let go. The voracious cave crawler thrashed so hard it came away with chipwich's separated leg still in its jaws. Finally, chipwich passed out from blood loss. Only then, were the battered goblins able to finally strike him cleanly in the head as he lay unconscious. chipwich died a hero's death and saved the lives of all the livestock, plus ten dwarves.

The fort is in an uproar, and I believe if I urged further patience in waiting out the vile force of darkness the dwarves would turn on me in their rage. The council will likely give sbr the go-ahead to destroy this goblin army immediately.

sbr

MadImmortalMan

13th Sandstone

The order is given, and The Helmed Meteors and chipwich's old unit The Lances of Breath are mustered at the kennels. Once the squads are assembled, they are given the order to attack and The Walled Treasures are called up to stand guard while they are off. As the attack force approaches the goblin position, they see the goblins have broken rank are are in full-blown pursuit of Joan Robinson and Wags, who had apparently been up on top of the cliff tossing rocks down into their camp. Wags didn't learn his lesson last time, apparently.

Down the hill is a dead goblin--did they get a lucky hit? (Wags and Joan have no kills, so he probably died from bleeding out a wound chipwich gave him earlier).

The dwarves charge down the hillside smashing the goblins over the side with them. The battle is over in an instant as goblin bodies explode into shreds flying in every direction. The cave crawler catches Scipio in midair just as he takes down another goblin, causing him to bleed out from the wound. Only the cave crawler does not break and run at the charge, and a second later, Malthus ends the fight by taking it down.

Participating:
Acli
Pedrito
DGuller
Siege
KRonn
FunkMonk
Razgovory
Fireblade
Buddha
DSB

Kills:
Brazen 1
Malthus 1 cave crawler
DisturbedPervert 1 (dp has 9 elf kills from a previous fort-awesome)
Kleves 1
PDH 1
Jacob 1
Scipio 1

Casualties:
Scipio

All of the other gobbos either ran away or died of bleeding chipwich wounds. The battle was literally on the edge of the map. A body count is not yet complete, but there are six confirmed kills from the onslaught and one more up the hill, plus one dead cave crawler with Malthus'spear through its head. All other corpses we find will be attributed to chipwich.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

No blood for plump helmets!

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 28, 2012, 09:38:53 PM
Participating:
Acli
Pedrito
DGuller
Siege
KRonn
FunkMonk
Razgovory
Fireblade
Buddha
DSB

Kills:
Brazen 1
Malthus 1 cave crawler
DisturbedPervert 1 (dp has 9 elf kills from a previous fort-awesome)
Kleves 1
PDH 1
Jacob 1
Scipio 1

Casualties:
Scipio

I like how I got a kill without even participating. How did I manage that?

PDH

I think the kills are "participating and then some"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: PDH on April 29, 2012, 09:50:26 PM
I think the kills are "participating and then some"

Curse your reading comprehension skills!

Well, at least I got a kill. That's better than reading comprehension.

Oh... you got both reading comprehension and a kill. I'd offer you my vomit stained cloak as a sign of respect, but I believe the vomit has all worn off by now.

Pedrito

To console myself of Neil's demise I went to Munich and drowned my sorrows in abundant quantitites of (rather excellent) beer   :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on April 30, 2012, 12:36:54 AM
I'd offer you my vomit stained cloak as a sign of respect, but I believe the vomit has all worn off by now.

I'd say that's a problem any dwarf could solve pretty much on demand.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Work is proceeding on Berkut's castle. He's getting a bit weak and not working much on his own, so we're bringing him some supplies and some weapons.

18th Timber 116, Late Autumn

It never gets dull here.

The enemy consists of ten goblin lashers led by a mace lord, each of them riding either a cave crawler, elk bird, cave crocodile or jabberer. They've approached from the north and appeared just outside the walls. They took us unawares. Dwarves are outside. The alarm is sounded immediately. Hopefully we can rescue the dwarves before they get caught.

All squads are activated and ordered to the dog pile, and archers to the tower.

To add to our problems, a contingent of trolls arrives from the west!

And another force of goblin spearmen led by a goblin swordmaster as well, also all riding monsters. Oh boy.

The only dwarf missing at the moment is legendary engraver Ed Anger. He's currently taking a nap in Berkut's castle. Raise the drawbridge!

Oh no, Tamas was across the bridge shooting at trolls when the bridge went up!

What should we do?

Tonitrus

With the bridge up, can they even breach the fortress?  Or is it a siege now?

MadImmortalMan

The trolls can break stuff like doors. The entrance is a level up from the ground though and there's no ramps. I don't think anything on the battlefield can actually get in. Including Tamas of course. I am worried they might decide to go kill Anger and Berkut though. I think the trolls could get in there.

Edit: It looks like the enemy have no archers. Which is good.