Main Menu

Razorcrypts--a DF AAR

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 16, 2012, 02:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

Quote from: Maximus on April 17, 2012, 08:12:23 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on April 17, 2012, 07:24:44 AM
Which tileset are you using?

It makes the game look playable instead of a pile of ascii charachters devoid of any meaning. I may even give it a try.  :hmm:

L.
:mad: Ascii has a hell of a lot more meaning than inscrutable shapes.
That's surely why someone invented graphics in videogames  :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

MadImmortalMan

MIM: So, what are our options?

PDH: Well, there is the time-honored tradition of appointing him to be your immortal accountant...

MIM: In no time he'll get himself elected mayor and be demanding a fresh baby for breakfast every morning. What else?

PDH: Zoo?

MIM: What, like for kids?

MIM: Can we use him as cannon fodder? Maybe send him on an expedition all by himself into the caverns--to "secure our water supply" or something.

PDH: He might get suspicious. He's smart.

MIM: Yeah and he's such a nice guy too...Just the other day he offered to guard little Monoriu's bed while he slept because the kid was having nightmares about keas, and...oh man.

Can we just appoint him to a special office of fortress dragon-fighter and keep him locked in a room until he's needed to, you know, fight dragons? Will he still try to run for mayor then?

Brazen: We could let him be in charge and try to make sure he only eats losers and dead weight?

CdM: We could all drink his blood and build an army of undead superdwarves?

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Octavian

This is great. Keep them coming!
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

MadBurgerMaker

I look forward to seeing the horrible way my dude dies.  Maybe find some magma so he can try to drink it after he goes insane?

Grey Fox

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 18, 2012, 01:02:55 AM
Man, don't even bother me with it unless one of them is a...

Finally!

That's right motherfuckers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

PDH

Dwarven democracy.  I look forward to being walled into a room and crazily writing the chronicle of how this all went wrong.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

11th Timber 113, Late-Autumn

Finally, the caravan from the Mountainhomes has arrived.

26th Timber

Zoupa is taken by strange mood just like Malthus did. I hope he comes out of there with some cool artifact and not in a murderous rampage.

Well that was his own forge he "took over", so I guess we all go on with our lives while he rants and raves in there. I have some modifications to the Dwarven Constitution to draw up...

Tonitrus picked up some seeds we had run out of, some booze and various foods. But the biggest profits came from our lately-hatched platinum crafts industry. We were able to get a few high-quality weapons and armor from those sales.

Zoupa came out fast enough. He seems in fine spirits!

Quote from: Urollisid, "Closeclash", an iron ring  (value 28,800)
This is an iron ring. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with rectangular claystone cabochons and encircled with bands of cave spider silk. This object menaces with spikes of iron, claystone and mountain goat bone.

Sounds like it would be good in a bar fight.  :)

Let's keep it safe from the birds, shall we?

Perhaps more importantly, Zoupa is now a legendary metal crafter.

The platinum crafts he made before this were fetching a nice price when the merchants were just here. I'm guessing next year's haul will be pretty sweet.

MadImmortalMan

The Berkut Question

The dwarves have convinced Berkut that he's so awesome, he needs his very own luxury estate. So Toni and Yi dug him one to the southeast. Then Syt and Slargos helped him make it into an impenetrable fortress to ensure his safety. It has been dubbed "Rochester Castle" in his honor.

Berkut...I mean "Vabok" inspects the fortifications.

Vabok decides he is going to make Rochester Castle the most awesome estate in Dwarvendom, so he gets to work on some stuff to trick out his new digs.

MadImmortalMan

Our resolution to the constitution has passed.

Lots of decent fighters in the last batch of immigrants, so they are assigned to bolster the squads.

Work resumes on the archery tower out front now that Slargos is safe, and a new training dojo has been dug adjacent to the barracks. It's not ready yet, Ed is smoothing the walls and floor to make it awesome.

sbr

Nice updates.

Glad to see my complaining finally got a weaponsmith here.

Did you know that craftsdwarf is typed with just the left hand?

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

MadImmortalMan

And that brings us to the end of year two at this Armok-forsaken icehole called Razorcrypts.

Here's a shot of the progress on the meeting hall.

The dwarves are congregating there now instead of at the frozen wagon down the hill, which I gave orders to dismantle. I haven't checked to see if it's been done. Soon, there will be a kitchen adjacent to the hall so dwarves won't have to go far for their meat and mead. I built another well on this floor as well. You can make as many wells in the same channel as you want--I guess they don't get their ropes tangled.

Here is our fortress' cv for the end of the second year:

We're a bit more wealthy, but still lagging.

Here are our hunters. Still not formed into a squad of any sort.

MIM is not yet legendary at shooting, but he's taking a back seat to let the others get kills.

Kill counts:

MIM--33
valmy--12
Ide--1
Tamas--3
Alci--0
Tyr--4 +1 notable (goblin)

The biggest contribution to defending the fort so far are Neil's dogs.  :P Nothing has gotten in that can't fly, and even most of them don't get out again unless they've stolen an epic artifact warhammer that would be incredibly cool for dispensing justice.

Babies:

Children:

5 Legendary Dwarves:

The diamond is the legendary skill.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadBurgerMaker

I demand that MadBurgerMaker Zimkelasob be allowed to adequately make some lye.  :mad:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jaron on April 19, 2012, 12:31:57 AM
Where the eff is Jaron?

He's right here! Asleep on the dining room floor with his trusty pet duck Erush Craftsglade watching over him. He's taken a new trade, as you can see.