News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Razorcrypts--a DF AAR

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 16, 2012, 02:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I feel like whenever I show up, the forge problem will be resolved.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lucidor

PDH

Lucidor Dwarf needs to be a guard.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jaron

Lot of Slavs in that last immigrant wave. <_<
Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadImmortalMan

7th Slate 113 Mid-Spring

A child has been posessed by evil spirits. He is mumbling and ranting and has taken over a workshop and begun raiding the supply stocks. We are already haunted by the minions of evil, it seems.

In the meantime, Habbaku has finished setting up a couple farms in the growing area. Alexandru offered to help him.

11th Slate

Word has reached me that after three days of non-stop babbling and furious activity, that insidious child who shoved garbon out of his workshop has come out with a wonderous artifact! He took the bones of those beasts I've been hunting and made a warhammer out of them. Strange, but also cool.

Brain takes Katmai, Syt and Slargos to train them in the arts of fortressbuilding. He wasn't particularly interested in this new duty until I referred to his new partners as his "slaves". Neil is beginning the dogs' training regimen. We've got a wood furnace built to make charcoal out of sbr's felled trees.

17th Felsite, Late Spring

A caravan has arrived from the elven lands to trade. They will hate us if we offer them anything made of wood because they like to corner that market for themselves. We do have some rock crafts that Brain has been making in his spare time. I wonder what they'll think of the vast field of fallen logs strewn as far as the eye can see outside as they pass through on their way to the fort.

Tonitrus gets us a new rope, various berries and a bunch of booze, and manages not to get them angry enough to declare war on us.

With so many dwarves, we can't really keep sharing the barracks anymore. We've got random dwarves sleeping on the floor and healthy drunk dwarves sleeping in the hospital beds. They are also

still hanging out at the old dilapidated wagon rotting under the snow on the plain below in their spare time. They need a place to hang out and some real living quarters. We've laid out a plan for a new dining room/gathering hall and some dwarven apartments several flights of stairs below the crafting level.

12th Malachite 113, Mid-Summer

Malthus has gone nuts and kicked grumbler out of his jeweler's workshop. I can't tell if he's been posessed like that feral child or if he just wants a turn at the wheel.

16th Malachite

Another wave of invaders err... migrants. Ten dwarves and four children. One of them neglected to check in with PDH and seems to be acting suspiciously. For now we'll just put his name down as

"Scipio".

-------------------------------

-------------------------------

It's that funny-looking beard that gives me the creeps. That, and the dogs all bark at him.

Meanwhile Malthus finishes his secretive gemcutting.

Quote from: Salvesuns The Untamed Glosses
This is a perfect prase. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of prase.

Malthus is now a legendary gem setter. That should help.

But I noticed something. I don't see our epic bone warhammer anywhere.

What the FUCK is a kea?

That??? A shit-colored parakeet took our awesome warhammer?!

And what the hell is that thing?

Oh hell.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Excellent use of the cliffhanger!   :cheers:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

We need the Night Stalker!!!!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

MadImmortalMan

That finishes up last night's session. Malachite is still mid-summer, so there's lots of year 2 to go. It's starting to get more dangerous out there on the icy wastes. I need to start training up the military, so I'll be creating a squad or two asap. I also got valmy to begin hunting as well after the previous migrant wave came in. I don't need more yak bones, I just want them to get better at shooting. Both hunters have two dogs. I got another hunter in the last wave, but no dogs for him yet. Lots of puppies are around though.

At the rate the migrations are coming, I will be ripping through everyone on Languish all the way to ussdefiant.  :P

Notice I STILL didn't get any smiths. We are getting a decent smattering of fighting skills in the migrants. Scip's dwarf does not show up in dwarf therapist. *cue ominous music* But he's still on the team for now. If he kills somebody, he will be sanctioned. Of course, I'm gambling with the life of at least one of my comrades...

Legendary dwarves:

Tonitrus: Legendary Miner  (Yi is going to hit it too shortly after I un-pause)

Malthus: Legendary Gem-setter

Mono: Legendary bone carver, even though he's a child and cannot work.

And Scip is innocent of vampirism. I've seem him eating and sleeping.

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 17, 2012, 09:10:08 PM

Oh hell.

"Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."

:o

MadImmortalMan

Sound the alarm! It looks like a lycanthrope lizard. Sucks to be cold-blooded all the way up here, but ok. We haven't bothered to build a military until now, but being a werelizard, we might be able to wait until he reverts to a weaker form and then kill him while he's weak. valmy and I wait in the gatehouse behind the cage traps hoping to get a lucky shot as we watch this bizarre creature tear a baby reindeer apart in a spray of blood on the opposite hillside.

We wait it out and the creature turns into a human. And then wanders off to the east---farther up the glacier and away from our fort. As we pull up our stakeout, I glance down and notice one of the cage traps has a kea in it. Maybe we caught it trying to escape with the warhammer--so I think I'll release it in the barracks and let the hammerdwarves take care of it or something. Still don't see the hammer. I fear it's gone.

The barracks is on the ugly floor. The lever in the corner operates the drawbridge outside.

sbr has created four squads of melee troops divided by weapon type.

Axedwarves (The Crystalline Hides):
sbr
Ed Anger
Eddie Teah
Katmai
Zoupa

Hammerdwarves(The Walled Treasures):
CdM
grumbler
Fireblade
Neil

Swordsdwarf: Caliga. Since he's alone, he is put in The Walled treasures to train. He'll probably lead his own unit later if he becomes good.

Macedwarves(The Helmed Meteors):
Sheilbh
HMBob
Dguller
Martinus

Speardwarves(The Lances of Breath):
Brazen
lusty
KRonn
DSB
Malthus
PDH
Queequeg
Raz

Now if they only had weapons...

The four squads will take turns training in the barraacks rotating off every month, with each squad training three times a year. Hopefully that will give them a chance to keep up production too.

sbr has left the archers to me, but there are only three of us right now. Hunting is the best training at the moment, since we don't have an archery range.

Things seem to have gotten started. I found Gully practicing in there this morning while sbr slept and Ed kept busy detailing the floor. hmmm

sbr

Hey boss, you might get the Mountainhome on the horn and get them to send a motherfucking smith or two up here, like now.

I ain't taking the fall if these weak-assed civilians get killed because they ain't got any weapons or armor.

MadImmortalMan

15th Galena 113, Late Summer

A Human caravan has arrived from a place called Dur Pena. Sounds dirty. The crafting has picked up but we still don't have much of value. I'm sure we can get a couple things though. Maybe axes.

...We ended up buying booze.

I'm giving a pick to Jimmy Olson. The miners just can't do everything fast enough.

Not sure how this happened, but Slargos looks like he's gotten stuck on top of the wall when the builders were building a little tower.

The indicators show he's hungry and thirsty. I don't know how long he's been up there, so we'd better try to rescue him quickly before he dies of thirst.

It's Syt!

He's building a stairway up to Slargos.

Slargos immediately heads for a barrel of beer and gulps furiously.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

9th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn

Another wave of migrants arrives. Yay.

Man, don't even bother me with it unless one of them is a...

Finally!

...Hey wait a minute, who is this guy?

Hey, man. He's got mad skills! I think we should put him in charge of the fort and go take a vacation someplace without glaciers--what do you say?

What did he say his name was again?

:unsure:

PDH:  :secret:

:berkut: