And we're back!

Main Menu

Razorcrypts--a DF AAR

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 16, 2012, 02:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on April 16, 2012, 08:47:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2012, 06:20:24 PM
I like how Jaron has not a single skill that he's competent at.

I"m still finding my place in the world. -_-

Apparently I'm an herbalist so I sound like I'm fucked up with weed all the time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

We now have 15 dwarves to feed. The food stores are really low, and the beer is gone.

fahdiz saved us from dying of thirst. He finished building the well just in time. sbr and Yi were mere minutes from dying when the first water-laden bucket arrived. Later that week, Caliga's first brew rolled from the fermenting racks. We are saved.

We need to accomplish two things very soon. First, we need to make some trinkets to trade to the merchants so we can get some supplies. We're behind on production because up until now our craftsdwarf was also our architect, so he kept getting interrupted to go design buildings. We are poor. Tonitrus can understand the heathen elves foul speech, so he's going to be our broker. We have a dedicated gemcutter now, so hopefully he can get all of the stuff we've gathered so far cut before the merchants arrive. Even so, there is not going to be enough time left for us to build up much wealth. Our trading will be meager.

Second, we need to finally move our camp and supplies indoors. I don't like the way those polar bears are looking at the chickens. Our complete lack of farms so far is also an unforgivable omission. Especially since we apparently can't produce enough to trade for food either.

Just before the caravan came, however, we got yet another batch of mouths to feed. The Mountainhomes must be emptying the jails by exiling every dangerous psychopath in the realms to Razorcrypts. Only four new ones this time, though.

We had to build a bunch of new beds in the barracks room because that Ed guy was always hogging the one we had. I've never seen anyone sleep so much. Once in a while he bothers to smooth some walls and clear rocks from the road, so I guess he's all right. A smith would be nice though. Surely there is a murderer or rapist somewhere in the Mountainhomes who knows how to make a sword, right?

Brain has begun our rudimentary fortifications while we wait. We have a lot of bauxite around here, which looks the color of fresh blood. I figured that would make a fitting building material. The contrast of the blood red against the frozen white of our surroundings would stand out like the sucking wound Razorcrypts really is upon the earth. At first he wasn't excited about the project, but I told him to think of the entire fortress as a monument to his personal greatness and he obliged.

When the heaving wagons from home arrived stuffed with supplies with which to taunt us, we had amassed a grand total value in trade goods of roughly five hundred dwarf bucks. Pitiful. Most of that was cut gems finished by grumbler at the last minute. I blew it all on booze.

And that ended our first year in the frozen wastes. Amazingly, nobody is dead yet.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

sbr

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2012, 10:20:24 PM
I blew it all on booze.

:lol:  How dwarvenly.  And thanks to fahdiz for keeping me from dieing of thirst.

MadImmortalMan

garbon

I've no idea what those colors mean but look how happy I am! :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

You need to scroll down I don't see Valmy dwarf there. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

The plan for food production is to dig out under the ledge where the wagon sits rotting in the snow. The soil there is suitable for growing. There is also a lake out there, but I have never seen it thaw.

I try to spend most of my time outdoors away from everyone. You could call me antisocial, I suppose, but it seems safer to be in the wilds hunting ravenous beasts than indoors with those crazy dwarves. I've taken a couple of yaks and a number of mountain goats. Once, I was ambushed by a coyote who wanted to steal my goat and I got him too. Just barely got my crossbow reloaded before he was right on top of me. I blasted one of fahdiz's bolts made of yak bone right down his throat. I could use a couple more trained dogs though. I should think about setting up the kennels soon. I wonder if anyone knows how to train dogs...

Tonitrus and Yi rip through that sandy loam like hot butter. Those two are getting good at this. I've noticed lovely cave mold beginng to take root ever since we breached the caverns below. Our well project will end up providing unexpected extra bounty before too much longer. We may be able to grow tower caps for wood indoors at some point.

Toni takes his job as broker seriously, hauling his trading ledgers with him everywhere he goes, even while mining. Maybe he doesn't want anyone else to examine the books, I don't know. I'd rather not see the embarrassing figures in there anyway.

A duck has adopted Jaron as his master and follows him everywhere he goes.

MadImmortalMan

19th Granite, Early Spring 113

More migrants already? Wait, what? 19 of them?

The population of the fort just doubled. We're barely able to feed ourselves now, and Caliga can't brew fast enough to keep away the sobriety as it is. I think my death may come at the hands of a hungry, angry, sober mob---and soon. Can someone find out if any of them know how to work a forge?

Oh, the insanity.

We do have a couple bright spots here though. One of the new guys is an animal trainer, so I'll get my hunting dogs and war dogs after all. We have a decent amount of fighting skill across the board with this bunch, but none of them have any skills in persuasion or negotiation of any sort--so I'm fairly sure none of them are secretly vampires. We finally have a doctor, as well.

Strangely, the broker informs me that one of these new guys actually came here by choice. What prompted that particular bout of insanity, I don't know. But he says the guy really loves the harsh forbidding frozen wasteland. He may be the most insane of us all. He is, however, a good mechanic and engineer. He can take that duty so Yi can focus on his mining.

We're all going to die. I think what we need now is a border patrol.

MadImmortalMan

And no. None of them can work a forge. I think I might just give the job to Jaron.

MadImmortalMan

Pedrito

Which tileset are you using?

It makes the game look playable instead of a pile of ascii charachters devoid of any meaning. I may even give it a try.  :hmm:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maximus

Your tileset hurts my eyes. I don't know what all those shapes are.

Maximus

Quote from: Pedrito on April 17, 2012, 07:24:44 AM

It makes the game look playable instead of a pile of ascii charachters devoid of any meaning. I may even give it a try.  :hmm:

L.
:mad: Ascii has a hell of a lot more meaning than inscrutable shapes.

PDH

Trapper PDH.  I see me getting eaten soon.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Pedrito on April 17, 2012, 07:24:44 AM

L.

I'm using the Phoebus pack that comes with the Lazy Newb kit.