News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Washington Named Britain's Greatest Foe

Started by Faeelin, April 15, 2012, 05:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2012, 07:56:57 PM
I think he managed time and again to withdraw while preserving the fighting strength of his army which is never easy and seems particularly rare in the 18th century.

Even in the 19th century with increased mobility, TEH MOST REVEREND Robert E. Lee, Lord Protector of Dumbfuckistan, couldn't even manage to do it all the way to the end.

Ideologue

What's so Goddamned great about the Boers?  You realize that, were they alive today, Boers would be Republicans, right?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

stjaba

Quote from: grumbler on April 15, 2012, 07:43:13 PM

George Washington understood war.  So did Napoleon (who considered Washington the only general superior to himself).

That's interesting- do you have a cite for that? I'm not skeptical, just curious as to the sourc.e

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on April 15, 2012, 07:16:45 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2012, 07:12:53 PM
Hey now, those were Maryland boys.  :(

I blame the subordinates.  Washington did have a big weakness and that was relying on people whom he felt would be alright in the long run - he didn't have that instinct to weed out the chaff.  A well dug in army in the 18th century should have been able to humble an attacker, but too many of the colonial leaders were ready to break and run too fast.

Washington also had a big problem in that his officer pool was a lot of chaff. The military tradition was all on the British side. He ended up letting a lot of senior positions go to Europeans, in some cases with sketchy backgrounds and a language barrier, because hardly anyone else over here knew what they were doing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 08:49:44 PM
What's so Goddamned great about the Boers?  You realize that, were they alive today, Boers would be Republicans, right?

Because the Boers wrote the fucking book on asymmetrical warfare against a military fighting it with the last war's army.  Sound familiar?

Ideologue

If people listened to me and we fought every war like the one against Japan, that problem wouldn't really come up.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 09:03:46 PM
If people listened to me and we fought every war like the one against Japan, that problem wouldn't really come up.

Hard to provide logistical support to massed bomber fleets in the 1700s. Horses just can't carry that much fuel.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 15, 2012, 10:29:42 PM

Hard to provide logistical support to massed bomber fleets in the 1700s. Horses just can't carry that much fuel.

I'm pretty sure he meant Vietnam and Iraq, Mr. Smarty-Pants.
Kinemalogue

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2012, 06:44:14 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 15, 2012, 06:20:02 PM
I don't get why Washington's role at Yorktown is being discounted. Without Rochambeau it wouldn't have worked, but without Washington's army there wouldn't have been a siege.

I'm confused.  I thought Washington brought some regiments down from the north after Cornwallis had been bottled up by Gates.
"Granny" Gates wasn't involved after his debacle at the battle of Camden.  Greene was in charge of the Southern Army at that time.  Also, A large portion of the officers in the Continental Army received their commissions and advancements due to friends in Congress, not the actions of Washington.  He was hamstrung on numerous occasions by his favorites being passed over or neglected by political opponents.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Indeed.  Global Naval Power FTW!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Japan's defeat was not caused by massed bomber fleets.  It was caused by massed naval fleets.  The bombing offensive against Japan was ineffective until the last eight months of the war, when it destroyed factories and workshops that weren't producing because they had no materials with which to produce.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2012, 04:48:51 AM

Japan's defeat was not caused by massed bomber fleets.  It was caused by massed naval fleets.  The bombing offensive against Japan was ineffective until the last eight months of the war, when it destroyed factories and workshops that weren't producing because they had no materials with which to produce.

No, Japans defeat was caused by massed naval fleets supported by massed bomber fleets destroying japans of lesser magnitude massed naval and bomber fleets which enabled the massed land armies to concentrate to destroy certain outposts which enabled massed bomber fleets to destroy the japanese homeland while the massed fleets prepared to transport the massed armies to japan.

Had the US had a bomber capable of bombing japan from bases in alaska in August 1945 all of this would have been unecessary.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

HisMajestyBOB

It's even harder to put a flight deck on a ship-of-the-line.
Or make it water-tight and submersible. Torpedoes could probably be done, however.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on April 16, 2012, 04:57:33 AM
Had the US had a bomber capable of bombing japan from bases in alaska in August 1945 all of this would have been unecessary.

All those houses and factories made of teak wood and rice paper would've burned just as quickly sooner than later.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on April 16, 2012, 04:57:33 AM

No, Japans defeat was caused by massed naval fleets supported by massed bomber fleets destroying japans of lesser magnitude massed naval and bomber fleets which enabled the massed land armies to concentrate to destroy certain outposts which enabled massed bomber fleets to destroy the japanese homeland while the massed fleets prepared to transport the massed armies to japan.

And if the US had nuclear tipped ICBMs the war would have been over by December 10th.  The Aluetians proved to be a poor staging area for bombers anyway.  There really wasn't a good place to bomb Japan from till late '44.  Interestingly, one of the most effective uses of US bombers in the Japan was mine laying.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017