News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guinea Bissau Coup d'etat

Started by jimmy olsen, April 13, 2012, 03:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

West Africa's going through a rough patch lately
http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/2012/04/13/soldiers-take-over-in-suspected-guinea-bissau-coup-2/
QuoteSoldiers Take Over in Suspected Guinea Bissau Coup
Posted Friday, April 13th, 2012 at 1:55 am

Eyewitnesses say Guinea-Bissau soldiers have taken over the streets in the capital, Bissau, in an apparent coup attempt.

Soldiers attacked the home of front runner presidential candidate Carlos Gomes, Jr, the outgoing prime minister.

His whereabouts are unknown.

Witnesses say soldiers also arrested politicians and took control of the ruling party headquarters and national radio station while shots and rocket fire were heard in the capital.

The West African bloc known as ECOWAS announced it condemns any attempted coup d'etat.

The U.S. embassy in Dakar, Senegal, which also covers Guinea Bissau, issued an emergency message to U.S. citizens in the neighboring country to stay away from the downtown area of Bissau. It says the reported violence in the city could be a result of a coup d'etat or a coup attempt, and that an increased potential for political instability and civil or military unrest remains high.

The incidents took place on the eve of the start of the electoral campaign for the runoff presidential election in Guinea Bissau.

Guinea-Bissau's opposition — led by second-place finisher Kumba Yala — has called a boycott of the April 29 runoff vote and warned against campaigning. Yala was one of five candidates that claimed the first-round vote was rigged.

The candidates were vying to replace the late president, Malam Bacai Sanha, who died in January after a long illness.

Since winning independence from Portugal in 1974, Guinea-Bissau has struggled through a dictatorship, three coups and the 2009 assassination of a president.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Where?? They got to have pop bigger than 2 mil to be news worthy. That's like the coup attempt in Seychelles in '81. Who gives a hoot.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 13, 2012, 03:23:06 AM
If by 'lately' you mean 'since the end of the colonial era', I agree. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Duque de Bragança

Just a time-honoured tradition in Guinea-Bissau. Cape Verde is much more stable in comparison.

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2012, 05:07:11 AM

by lately with respect to west africa I mean "since the evolution of Sahelanthropus Chadensis"
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2012, 05:07:11 AM
It had been much more stable than usual in the last decade.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on April 13, 2012, 03:33:08 AM
That's like the coup attempt in Seychelles in '81. Who gives a hoot.

Yeah, but that one was fun.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2012, 06:26:42 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 13, 2012, 03:33:08 AM
That's like the coup attempt in Seychelles in '81. Who gives a hoot.

Yeah, but that one was fun.

True, Mad Mike's high drama.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2012, 09:24:52 AMBy lately he means the last 500 years.
But West Africa's doing better in the last ten years than for a while.  End of the civil wars in Cote d'Ivoire, Liberia and Sierra Leone - each replaced with relatively democratic and reasonably competent governments.  Ghana and Senegal still the great democratic successes in sub-Saharan Africa.  Nigeria's always in difficulty but even there Goodluck Jonathan is better than recent Presidents.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Things are getting better but come on Shielbh it is a pretty fragile situation.  It is almost like people were just exhausted from the decade previous and everybody took a break.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2012, 09:31:22 AM
Things are getting better but come on Shielbh it is a pretty fragile situation.  It is almost like people were just exhausted from the decade previous and everybody took a break.
But you can't say they're going through a rough patch when it's been the best and most optimistic patch since the hopes of independence.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

I see a bright future for West Africa.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Damn, yet another unfortunate development for Guinea Bissau.