John has a long mustache - Edward the Asshole plans to invade Normandy

Started by Ed Anger, April 08, 2012, 06:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 15, 2015, 04:16:14 PM
I believe there are actually more Americans of German descent than English/Anglo-Saxon descent. :cool:

I don't know. Here's what wiki has to say (for whatever that is worth...):

QuoteSelf-identified German Americans made up 17.1% of the U.S. population, followed by Irish Americans at 12%, as reported in the 2000 U.S. Census. This makes German the largest, and Irish the second-largest, self-reported ancestry groups in the U.S. Both groups had high rates of immigration to the US beginning in the mid-19th century, triggered by the Great Potato Famine in Ireland and the failed 1848 Revolution in Germany. However, English-Americans and British-Americans are still considered the largest ethnic group due to a serious under count following the 2000 census whereby many English and British Americans self-identified under the new category entry 'American' considering themselves 'indigenous' because their families had resided in the USA for so long or, if of mixed European ancestry, identified with a more recent and differentiated ethnic group.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on June 15, 2015, 04:37:03 PM
I don't know. Here's what wiki has to say (for whatever that is worth...):
LOL, "American". :D

I guess that could be correct, but tons of earlier settlers to the colonies weren't Anglo-Saxon either.  My German ancestors were all here by 1740, and pretty much all of Pennsylvania outside of Philadelphia proper was settled by Germans and Scots-Irish (cannon fodder for the French and Indians on the frontier. :cool: )  Also, there was a big Moravian settlement in North Carolina prior to the Revolution as well.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Surely you don't think Scotch-Irish have no English blood. 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2015, 09:59:44 AM
He is neither an Angle or a Saxon. He is German ok? Geez learn something about ethnicity people.
Where do you think the Saxons and Angle's originally came from? :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2015, 06:30:17 PM
Where do you think the Saxons and Angle's originally came from? :hmm:
The Angles came from Denmark IIRC, and the Saxons came from NW Germany.  My peeps came from much further south.  If you want to identify my ancestors with an ancient German tribe, it'd be the Alemanni.

Ed Anger

I ate a Croque Madame today.

I know I'm going to get a beak in these eggs from a farm a bit down the way.

Caliga

Every time I see this thread I hear that line. :lol:

John has a long mustache.

...and then that old dude starts to cry and shit.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on June 15, 2015, 06:36:58 PM
Every time I see this thread I hear that line. :lol:

...and then that old dude starts to cry and shit.

And the old woman steals his soup.  :mad:

Caliga

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger