Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Started by derspiess, April 04, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Yes
31 (62%)
No
14 (28%)
Only Jaron
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2012, 06:23:19 PM
You expect serious policy discussions on this subject, when the general Republican m.o. is one of scapegoating, disenfranchisement and/or neglect? I'd think the first order of business would be for the Republicans to show that they're at all interested in addressing the problem constructively... or, you know, acknowledge that it's a problem at all.

It sounds like you're saying a precondition for serious policy discussion is for Republicans to accept Democratic priorities as their own.

Caliga

@garbo Does your mom look like Robin Quivers? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 05, 2012, 07:00:36 PM

No my mother does not look like a black woman.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 06:58:04 PMThat's what the Republicans on Languish do? I'm not even sure we can have a discussion if you're going to start from that assumption.

I apologize and withdraw my comment. It's sometime hard to navigate the alternating posturing banter and serious discussions here on languish.

What is your take on the problem, and how would you address it?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2012, 07:00:30 PM
You expect serious policy discussions on this subject, when the general Republican m.o. is one of scapegoating, disenfranchisement and/or neglect? I'd think the first order of business would be for the Republicans to show that they're at all interested in addressing the problem constructively... or, you know, acknowledge that it's a problem at all.

It sounds like you're saying a precondition for serious policy discussion is for Republicans to accept Democratic priorities as their own.

They're American priorities, you partisan hack.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Admiral Yi

IIRC grabon's mom is a Hindustani.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2012, 07:02:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 06:58:04 PMThat's what the Republicans on Languish do? I'm not even sure we can have a discussion if you're going to start from that assumption.

I apologize and withdraw my comment. It's sometime hard to navigate the alternating posturing banter and serious discussions here on languish.

What is your take on the problem, and how would you address it?

Fair enough.  As to the problem, I'm not really sure. I mean I think it breaks down to several things.

1) Lack of awareness about potential long-term health issues from bad diets.  I think strides are being made on this one. NYC is constantly running ad  campaigns about this sort of issue, especially as far as obesity, though I'm not sure how effective those are.

2) Even if it isn't lack of awareness, there's that whole time/cost component. It is unfortunate that bad foods are often cheap and easy (ready to go*). I never followed up on it but I believe Walmart had been testing out offering produce at below market rates in order to provide individuals with cheap healthy alternatives (though the caveat was that they'd pull the plug on the program if they didn't see an uptick in sales).  That's part of the issue but time is also a factor. When you are off hustling to make ends meet, is the time there to prepare the healthy meal or is it easier to get your kids some fatty food from Boston Market?  I guess really here there needs to be an attitude shift about how one really does need to make the time as the constant "non-meals" are akin to feeding your child a steady diet of poison. Maybe attack this issue in a similar way to that which got public attitudes to change on smoking.

3) Those two above are really about generating business for the supermarkets so that it makes business sense for them to operate in a neighborhood.  There's probably a safety component to though as if the neighborhood is hard scrabble enough with insufficient patronage, why would a business bother?  I guess you could here as Seed has suggested try to have some sort of government interference or incentive for businesses but I'm not really sure how you get around the overwhelming fiscal disincentive.

*a friend of mine did her undergrad thesis on trying to create affordable ready to go fruit options that could sell at bodegas along side all the unhealthy foods. She was aiming at trying to make the packaging engaging to children so that they'd also want to reach for it in a store.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 07:01:59 PM
No my mother does not look like a black woman.
Oh I forgot that it's your dad who is black. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Yes, I agree with photo IDs for voting. I think at least half, and maybe most states do have that now. I also agree that the states will provide the ID for free, which they usually do, so it's not some kind of backhanded poll tax.  There are ways to do it even handedly, and my understanding is that state laws do it well, so that those without means are not prevented from voting.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on April 05, 2012, 07:26:47 PM
Yes, I agree with photo IDs for voting. I think at least half, and maybe most states do have that now. I also agree that the states will provide the ID for free, which they usually do, so it's not some kind of backhanded poll tax.  There are ways to do it even handedly, and my understanding is that state laws do it well, so that those without means are not prevented from voting.

Why introduce all this though if we don't have evidence that voter fraud is a widespread and rampant problem? Why waste money and create more bureaucracy if we don't need it?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2012, 07:00:30 PM

Well, I don't think Republicans as a whole are interested in serious policy discussion on this (though individuals are). My impression of the Republican position on most areas of social policy that intersects with poverty is:

1) Minimizing free riders and system abuse is a top priority.
2) As is minimizing costs to the tax payers.
3) People in difficulties are best helped by not coddling them. That will encourage them to pull themselves out of their difficulties. If they don't, it's likely because they're not sufficiently motivated.
4) Social assistance is best handled through private charities, such as religious charities, as it will be cheaper for the tax payer.
5) Introducing private profit motives into social programs (for the dispensers of the programs, not the recipients) is a recipe for improving efficiency and saving money.
6) People should have freedom of choice, and if population groups are consistently mired in bad social circumstances it is primarily because they're making bad choices. They should make better choices. The best way to affect that is through threats of punishment such as withdrawing social programs. This will encourage them to make better choices.
7) People mired in bad social situations are most likely there because they've developed a culture of dependency on social assistance.

While I may be clearly displaying my own bias, I do not think it's terribly inaccurate to summarize that as "scapegoating, disenfranchisement and/or neglect".

Do I have the wrong idea of the Republican approach to social issues, or do you take issue with my summary as being inaccurate?

garbon

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2012, 07:28:36 PM
While I may be clearly displaying my own bias, I do not think it's terribly inaccurate to summarize that as "scapegoating, disenfranchisement and/or neglect".

Do I have the wrong idea of the Republican approach to social issues, or do you take issue with my summary as being inaccurate?

If you're going to do that, you might as well then say it isn't terribly inaccurate to summarize the Dem position as "throw enough money at it and you'll be able to solve the issue."

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 07:31:16 PMIf you're going to do that, you might as well then say it isn't terribly inaccurate to summarize the Dem position as "throw enough money at it and you'll be able to solve the issue."

I'll accept that, if not for Democrats, then at least for myself.

I'd put it slightly differently, but it's not that far off - "you can't solve or significantly address social problems if you're unwilling to commit the money to do so."

As for my characterization - is it that inaccurate for derspiess, Yi or Caliga? Is it inaccurate for Newt Gingrich, Romney or Santorum?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 07:28:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2012, 07:14:52 PM

IIRC grabon's mom is a Hindustani.

That's a joke, right? :unsure:

I guess he fell for your bit a while back.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall