Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Started by derspiess, April 04, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Yes
31 (62%)
No
14 (28%)
Only Jaron
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 04:17:41 PM
Neither is tuition to Stanford or Yale, but since their little shit kids get scholarships anyway, they can't use that excuse for $4 Funyuns.  AND THEY OVERCHARGE FOR EXTRA STARCH AND STILL FUCKING RIP YOU OFF BY SKIMPING ON IT

Well they aren't likely getting those scholarships through the school unless they have poor parents. Neither Yale or Stanford offer merit scholarships.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 04:43:52 PMAgain, who is going to provide those options?

Maybe solutions to complex social problems aren't simple enough that a single solution is adequate?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2012, 05:55:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 04:43:52 PMAgain, who is going to provide those options?

Maybe solutions to complex social problems aren't simple enough that a single solution is adequate?

Of course not. I thought I suggested as much in my post.  However, if CC and Seedster are going to use this as an example of how the Republicans here are so unsympathetic then I'd like to see the plans they'd like endorsed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Do you know how many radio personalities would be put out of work with that attitude?

garbon

Quote from: sbr on April 05, 2012, 06:15:57 PM

Do you know how many radio personalities would be put out of work with that attitude?

Who listens to radio personalities? :x

sbr

Where else could Yi and derspice get such silly ideas?

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 06:15:18 PMOf course not. I thought I suggested as much in my post.  However, if CC and Seedster are going to use this as an example of how the Republicans here are so unsympathetic then I'd like to see the plans they'd like endorsed.

You expect serious policy discussions on this subject, when the general Republican m.o. is one of scapegoating, disenfranchisement and/or neglect? I'd think the first order of business would be for the Republicans to show that they're at all interested in addressing the problem constructively... or, you know, acknowledge that it's a problem at all.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 04:43:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 04:13:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 03:16:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2012, 03:09:24 PM
I think the ultimate problem is consumer demand (or lack thereof) for healthy foods in those areas.

Well then it does seem like step one would be some sort of education to encourage people to recognize the importance of healthy foods.  Of course, even if you realize healthy foods are important, if there aren't any available in the neighborhood or you have to spend more time/money to acquire and prepare them...you probably are likely to forgo them.

Considering 5% of the population accounts for nearly half the costs of the US healthcare system, maybe having the options available to eat right economically would help drive down costs. Maybe?

QuoteNearly half of people in the top 5 percent of health care spending had high blood pressure; a third had high cholesterol; and a quarter had diabetes.

Wow, those three chronic issues sound less like birth defects and GORKs than it does the results of your average inner-city denizen's diet.

Again, who is going to provide those options?

Government must force assist the private sector to do it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 05:22:35 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 04:17:41 PM
Neither is tuition to Stanford or Yale, but since their little shit kids get scholarships anyway, they can't use that excuse for $4 Funyuns.  AND THEY OVERCHARGE FOR EXTRA STARCH AND STILL FUCKING RIP YOU OFF BY SKIMPING ON IT

Well they aren't likely getting those scholarships through the school unless they have poor parents. Neither Yale or Stanford offer merit scholarships.

Stop trying to help.  :mad:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2012, 06:23:19 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 06:15:18 PMOf course not. I thought I suggested as much in my post.  However, if CC and Seedster are going to use this as an example of how the Republicans here are so unsympathetic then I'd like to see the plans they'd like endorsed.

You expect serious policy discussions on this subject, when the general Republican m.o. is one of scapegoating, disenfranchisement and/or neglect? I'd think the first order of business would be for the Republicans to show that they're at all interested in addressing the problem constructively... or, you know, acknowledge that it's a problem at all.

That's what the Republicans on Languish do? I'm not even sure we can have a discussion if you're going to start from that assumption.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 06:39:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 04:43:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 04:13:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 03:16:57 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2012, 03:09:24 PM
I think the ultimate problem is consumer demand (or lack thereof) for healthy foods in those areas.

Well then it does seem like step one would be some sort of education to encourage people to recognize the importance of healthy foods.  Of course, even if you realize healthy foods are important, if there aren't any available in the neighborhood or you have to spend more time/money to acquire and prepare them...you probably are likely to forgo them.

Considering 5% of the population accounts for nearly half the costs of the US healthcare system, maybe having the options available to eat right economically would help drive down costs. Maybe?

QuoteNearly half of people in the top 5 percent of health care spending had high blood pressure; a third had high cholesterol; and a quarter had diabetes.

Wow, those three chronic issues sound less like birth defects and GORKs than it does the results of your average inner-city denizen's diet.

Again, who is going to provide those options?

Government must force assist the private sector to do it.

Oh lovely.

garbon