Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Started by derspiess, April 04, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Yes
31 (62%)
No
14 (28%)
Only Jaron
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2012, 03:09:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 02:57:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 05, 2012, 12:52:37 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 12:50:16 PM
CC, we've had a discussion that involved this very concept many, many moons ago regarding the phenomenon of health issues of inner city denizens.  You will not find any sympathy for their disadvantages here.

I fully expect that to be the case.  It reminds me a bit of the dust up BB and I had many moons ago over some of the causes of unemployment.

Well what's the option? Force grocery stores and other places that sell "good" foods to keep stores open in unprofitable areas?

I think the ultimate problem is consumer demand (or lack thereof) for healthy foods in those areas.

Yeah, people just dont care.

garbon

I think the ultimate problem is consumer demand (or lack thereof) for healthy foods in those areas.

Well then it does seem like step one would be some sort of education to encourage people to recognize the importance of healthy foods.  Of course, even if you realize healthy foods are important, if there aren't any available in the neighborhood or you have to spend more time/money to acquire and prepare them...you probably are likely to forgo them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2012, 03:33:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 05, 2012, 03:11:51 PMYeah, people just dont care.

:hmm:

One more thing to add to the list.

People dont care enough to get health care coverage; don't care enough about being unemployed to get a job; dont care enough about eating poorly to justify a grocery store in their area; and they certainly dont care enough to vote.

Thank goodness we have the Republican party to make all this apparent.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 05, 2012, 03:43:02 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2012, 03:33:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 05, 2012, 03:11:51 PMYeah, people just dont care.

:hmm:

One more thing to add to the list.

People dont care enough to get health care coverage; don't care enough about being unemployed to get a job; dont care enough about eating poorly to justify a grocery store in their area; and they certainly dont care enough to vote.

Thank goodness we have the Republican party to make all this apparent.
Considering that a lot of those people still vote for Republicans, maybe they really don't care.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2012, 03:55:58 PM
Considering that a lot of those people still vote for Republicans, maybe they really don't care.

A lot of people who don't care enough to vote, vote Republican? :hmm:

STALK STALK ACORN

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2012, 02:39:43 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 12:50:16 PM
CC, we've had a discussion that involved this very concept many, many moons ago regarding the phenomenon of health issues of inner city denizens.  You will not find any sympathy for their disadvantages here.

That's okay.  You can sleep at night knowing your boy Marion Barry is fighting the good fight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mike-debonis/post/marion-barry-stands-by-remark-that-asian-businesses-ought-to-go-from-ward-8/2012/04/05/gIQAP2TlxS_blog.html

Fuck those little overcharging yellow bastards.  $1.75 for a can of Pepsi, my ass.  The dazzling urbanites may be stranded in their neighborhood, but so was my squad car.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 03:58:30 PM
Fuck those little overcharging yellow bastards.  $1.75 for a can of Pepsi, my ass.  The dazzling urbanites may be stranded in their neighborhood, but so was my squad car.

Bullet proof glass and weekly trips to the ER aren't cheap.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 05, 2012, 01:52:27 PM
Organizations like the League of Women Voters and Rock the Vote--

Who at least leave a paper trial of their work.  Unlike Diebold.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 03:16:57 PM

Well then it does seem like step one would be some sort of education to encourage people to recognize the importance of healthy foods.  Of course, even if you realize healthy foods are important, if there aren't any available in the neighborhood or you have to spend more time/money to acquire and prepare them...you probably are likely to forgo them.

Considering 5% of the population accounts for nearly half the costs of the US healthcare system, maybe having the options available to eat right economically would help drive down costs. Maybe?

QuoteNearly half of people in the top 5 percent of health care spending had high blood pressure; a third had high cholesterol; and a quarter had diabetes.

Wow, those three chronic issues sound less like birth defects and GORKs than it does the results of your average inner-city denizen's diet.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2012, 04:01:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 03:58:30 PM

Bullet proof glass and weekly trips to the ER aren't cheap.

Neither is tuition to Stanford or Yale, but since their little shit kids get scholarships anyway, they can't use that excuse for $4 Funyuns.  AND THEY OVERCHARGE FOR EXTRA STARCH AND STILL FUCKING RIP YOU OFF BY SKIMPING ON IT

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 04:17:41 PM
Neither is tuition to Stanford or Yale, but since their little shit kids get scholarships anyway, they can't use that excuse for $4 Funyuns.  AND THEY OVERCHARGE FOR EXTRA STARCH AND STILL FUCKING RIP YOU OFF BY SKIMPING ON IT

OK English Bob.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2012, 04:21:16 PM

OK English Bob.

Now, a bag of Funyuns...well, I mean...why not shoot a bag of Funyuns.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 04:13:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 03:16:57 PM

Considering 5% of the population accounts for nearly half the costs of the US healthcare system, maybe having the options available to eat right economically would help drive down costs. Maybe?

QuoteNearly half of people in the top 5 percent of health care spending had high blood pressure; a third had high cholesterol; and a quarter had diabetes.

Wow, those three chronic issues sound less like birth defects and GORKs than it does the results of your average inner-city denizen's diet.

Again, who is going to provide those options?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Not sure 4 bucks is enough to get me to eat a bag of Funyuns. :x
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?