Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Started by derspiess, April 04, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Yes
31 (62%)
No
14 (28%)
Only Jaron
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 02:33:59 PM
Minority female?  With a concealed carry permit?  In Texas?  Obviously fake.

Go tell that to the good folks in Anytown :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 02:35:56 PM
I assume citizenship is the basis for rejection of the university ID.
Can they not get concealed carry permits?
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe Department of Justice is reviewing Texas' election law changes to determine whether they comply with the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

States have enacted a slew of restrictive voting laws since the 2010 elections, and Texas is only one of several places where students now face new obstacles to vote. Tennessee passed a similar law this year making student IDs invalid for voting use, while the Wisconsin legislature passed legislation that only allows voters to use student IDs if the IDs have certain information, including addresses and expiration dates.

The Wisconsin law amounted to a ban on student IDs, according to observers, because none of Wisconsin's universities issue cards that include the necessary information.

"I've actually never seen a case where student ID does have an address," said Matthew Segal of Our Time, an advocacy group for Americans under 30 years old. Segal also spoke during Monday's Capitol Hill forum.

The University of Wisconsin estimated that it would be forced spend $700,000 every two years in order to make its new ID cards that comply with the law, which requires that all school IDs used in elections expire in less than two years after those elections.

The state's Government Accountability Board, which runs the state's elections, has clashed with the Republican legislature over stopgap solutions. The board recommended that students be allowed to vote by placing state-produced stickers on their IDs that carried the required information, but the lawmakers said that compromise could encourage fraud. A conflict over the use of technical college IDs is still ongoing.

In Maine, Charlie Webster, the chairman of the state Republican Party, has accused more than 200 out-of-state students attending college in Maine of committing voter fraud by registering to vote in Maine -- a claim that has been met with significant skepticism within the state.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on April 04, 2012, 02:37:22 PM
Isn't it kinda important for voting to identify that the person doing it is, in fact, a voter? In Finland people are required to show a photo id when voting (drivers' licenses are considered such).

I have always just used my voter registration card.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:40:48 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 02:33:59 PM
Minority female?  With a concealed carry permit?  In Texas?  Obviously fake.

Go tell that to the good folks in Anytown :contract:

MISS SAMPLE IF THATS YOUR REAL NAME

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on April 04, 2012, 02:38:30 PM
I would think the purpose of ID is to simply ID. When I vote, they look up my name on the voter registration role, which presumably is what is there to establish that the person I claim to be can in fact vote. The only point of ID at the polling place would be to make sure that I really am that person, right?

As things stand now a vote is essentially self-certifying during registration that they are eligible to vote.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:10:07 PM
Dunno.  What's your problem with government issued IDs?
Then why not follow the Continental method and have ID cards?
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Hey Sheiblh, here's a nifty report by the Brennan Center on the issue.  Enjoy more lessons on American democracy.

http://www.brennancenter.org/content/resource/voting_law_changes_in_2012/

derspiess

So Seedy, I take it from your first post that you voted yes?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:46:18 PM

I don't need a photo ID to vote, so as far as I'm concerned, neither do negroloids in Texas.

Fate

Why are GOPtards against a national ID card but love photo ID?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 02:47:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:46:18 PM

I don't need a photo ID to vote, so as far as I'm concerned, neither do negroloids in Texas.

YES OR NO WILL DO.

Btw, I read where you're not only not required in MD, but that you're not allowed to show ID.  Is that true?  :huh:

derspiess

Quote from: Fate on April 04, 2012, 02:49:02 PM
Why are GOPtards against a national ID card but love photo ID?

We don't like voter fraud.  Didn't know that was such a partisan position to take.

mongers

So what's wrong with waltzing in, saying who you are and at what address, they tick you off their voter roll/registration and you go and cast your ballot ?  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:50:43 PM
Btw, I read where you're not only not required in MD, but that you're not allowed to show ID.  Is that true?  :huh:

Don't know;  the state of Maryland has never attempted to violate my civil rights or disenfranchise me, so I never looked into it.