News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Started by derspiess, April 04, 2012, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should voters be required to show photo ID?

Yes
31 (62%)
No
14 (28%)
Only Jaron
5 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 50

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 02:19:43 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:03:55 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 02:00:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2012, 01:06:05 PM
So long as they never require them to be Government ID Cards or Driver's License.  Wasn't that part of the deal that we would never require people to get those sorts of things?

That's part of the problem;  look at the new photo ID voter law passed in Texas:  Concealed carry gun permit?  Yes.  Student photo ID from a state university? Nope.

And then Texans wonder why the DOJ gets involved.

It's been a while since I was in college, but do university IDs contain any address info?

No.
And neither do concealed carry permits.

They do in Texas

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

No.

E: Aw blog dude's shopped version doesn't want to be leeched.  Spiess has the generic sample up there though.

They look like the new DLs, which I despise and I hope they change them again before I have to renew.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:20:14 PM
I guess they at least prove citizenship though, which is what the Texas law is trying to do.
This could be a difference in our systems, but surely the point you deal with eligibility to vote is when you're registering to vote, not when you're at the polling station? 
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2012, 02:23:38 PM
I guess they at least prove citizenship though, which is what the Texas law is trying to do.
This could be a difference in our systems, but surely the point you deal with eligibility to vote is when you're registering to vote, not when you're at the polling station? 

Why not at both points?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2012, 02:12:34 PM
It's been a while since I was in college, but do university IDs contain any address info?
Do passports?

No :blush:

Guess again what the Texas law is trying to do.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:21:34 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 02:00:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2012, 01:06:05 PM
So long as they never require them to be Government ID Cards or Driver's License.  Wasn't that part of the deal that we would never require people to get those sorts of things?

That's part of the problem;  look at the new photo ID voter law passed in Texas:  Concealed carry gun permit?  Yes.  Student photo ID from a state university? Nope.

And then Texans wonder why the DOJ gets involved.

No.

They do in Texas

Minority female?  With a concealed carry permit?  In Texas?  Obviously fake.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:10:07 PM
Dunno.  What's your problem with government issued IDs?

Well if you have one there is no controversy at all.  The only people who would not have a drivers license or a Passport or ID card would be people who, for whatever reason, would rather not have them.  Making them get one is something the Feds specifically promised they would never do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 02:33:59 PM
Minority female?  With a concealed carry permit?  In Texas?  Obviously fake.

With blue eyes no less.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

I assume citizenship is the basis for rejection of the university ID.

Solmyr

Isn't it kinda important for voting to identify that the person doing it is, in fact, a voter? In Finland people are required to show a photo id when voting (drivers' licenses are considered such).

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2012, 02:34:28 PM
Well if you have one there is no controversy at all.  The only people who would not have a drivers license or a Passport or ID card would be people who, for whatever reason, would rather not have them.  Making them get one is something the Feds specifically promised they would never do.

They would have also taken citizenship cards and that free voter ID thing.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2012, 02:27:51 PM
Why not at both points?
I don't understand.  Is the check at the polling booth to prove you're the person on the electoral register or to prove you're the person on the register and you remain eligible to vote?  If it's the former which is what I think you described then you'd need photo ID + address.  If it's the latter something like photo ID + address (presumably together not proof of address separately) + proof of citizenship/green card or whatever.

I think it would be remarkable if you had to prove you're the person on the register and, in effect, that you're still able to vote as you were when you registered.  It seems like it's making voting a bureaucratic hassle for the voter, the register and the polling booth which would deter people.  There's a balance to be struck and I think you're going too far.  Unless fraud is a serious, serious problem I think it wouldn't have a significant effect beyond deterring people from voting.  I mean just think if you get to the polling booth on your way to work, with your passport and your polling card but I forgot your gas bill to prove your address.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 02:35:56 PM

I would think the purpose of ID is to simply ID. When I vote, they look up my name on the voter registration role, which presumably is what is there to establish that the person I claim to be can in fact vote. The only point of ID at the polling place would be to make sure that I really am that person, right?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Solmyr on April 04, 2012, 02:37:22 PM
Isn't it kinda important for voting to identify that the person doing it is, in fact, a voter? In Finland people are required to show a photo id when voting (drivers' licenses are considered such).

I showed my voter registration card yesterday.  Has no photo.  They checked off my name on the roll.  And I voted.  FOR THE FUCKING DEMOCRAT INCUMBENT.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2012, 02:35:56 PM

How exactly would a non-citizen be on the voting rolls?  So how would having a University ID identifying you as a person not registered the vote do you any good?