The most beautiful woman in the world... and we're all freaking jealous...

Started by Alexandru H., April 03, 2012, 01:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteFor every female Starbucks employee who made it her business to remember my name, there was a male employer telling me to do up my top three shirt buttons in the office.

:lol:

Valmy

The Guardian says Daily Mail is sexist and stuff: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/04/samantha-brick-thrown-to-wolves?INTCMP=SRCH

QuoteWhich leads us to the issue about how much it obviously hates its female writers. Again, and not coincidentally, it has plenty of those in abundance. There was much talk a few months ago about how poorly represented women are in the media. As Kira Cochrane pointed out in her extensive piece on the matter, the Daily Mail comes closer than any other British paper in achieving parity of male and female bylines, yet this paper overturns the assumption that gender equality among writers is, in and of itself, the goal. The paper uses its female writers as Trojan horses to voice its most misogynistic attitudes, whether its having them embody the worst kind of female stereotypes (Liz Jones as the label-obsessed bitter single woman, Amanda Platell as the high-flying but lonely single woman, Jan Moir as Glenda Slagg, etc etc) through their confessional journalism, or having them write horrible things about other women, such as Lynda Lee Potter's notorious take on Mo Mowlam or Allison Pearson's opinion on Princess Beatrice's body.

However this is weird:
QuoteThe general motto of the Daily Mail seems to be that a woman's role in life is to be pretty, thin, get married, quit work, have children and, ideally, disappear or die before getting embarrassingly old and fat (it is no wonder the paper loved Diana so much.)

It seems  the Daily Mail thinks it is the 1970s which is probably the last time a mom was able to quit work outside of the upper classes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Viking

I like Samantha Brick, she has cojones and probably has a devastatingly sexy bearing posture and attitude. She's the kind of woman that would never, despite the guardians best efforts, starve herself or puke after meals. So what if she's delusional, she's happy and functional and when she looks in the mirror she doesn't hate herself.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Capetan Mihali

I can't see what's so wrong with S. Brick except her desire to declare herself attractive...I can hardly imagine how being a little conceited taps into such a wellspring of anon haters...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

QuoteIf Brad Pitt were to say: 'Yes, I'm a good-looking fella,' then the world would nod sagely in agreement. But if Angelina Jolie uttered something along those lines, she'd be subject to the same foaming-at-the-mouth onslaught hurled at me yesterday.

I do believe she is "taking the piss".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Certainly this whole thing is one of the better trolls recently. Of course she caught people of guard by writing this in the Daily Mail, otherwise known for its well researched, unexcited news coverage.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on April 06, 2012, 12:25:25 AM
I like Samantha Brick, she has cojones and probably has a devastatingly sexy bearing posture and attitude. She's the kind of woman that would never, despite the guardians best efforts, starve herself or puke after meals. So what if she's delusional, she's happy and functional and when she looks in the mirror she doesn't hate herself.

Claiming she is a victim of the female gender's collective jealousy (and the male gender's  collective desire to buy her shit) is what she was doing here.  If she didn't decide to attack other people I would have no problem with it at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 06, 2012, 12:50:39 AM
QuoteIf Brad Pitt were to say: 'Yes, I'm a good-looking fella,' then the world would nod sagely in agreement. But if Angelina Jolie uttered something along those lines, she'd be subject to the same foaming-at-the-mouth onslaught hurled at me yesterday.

I do believe she is "taking the piss".

Yeah that is pretty hilarious.  No way she could seriously mean that.

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on April 06, 2012, 12:25:25 AM
I like Samantha Brick, she has cojones and probably has a devastatingly sexy bearing posture and attitude.

An average-looking woman who thinks she's drop-dead gorgeous gets points taken away in my book. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

How are you guys applauding her?  This is no different from the "I'm hideous" crowd- it's just the other pole of the same delusion.  Unrealistically elevated self-image, unrealistically low self-esteem.

Don't feed the attention whore, move along.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 06, 2012, 11:56:55 AM
How are you guys applauding her?  This is no different from the "I'm hideous" crowd- it's just the other pole of the same delusion.  Unrealistically elevated self-image, unrealistically low self-esteem.

Don't feed the attention whore, move along.

Meh if it gets posted on Languish it will be discussed by us.  Blame Romania.