The most beautiful woman in the world... and we're all freaking jealous...

Started by Alexandru H., April 03, 2012, 01:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2012, 06:49:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 03, 2012, 06:28:12 PM
I find the whole height obsession sort of puzzling.

IIRC, you're tall and thin.

lol, he isnt anywhere near 6'7''.

In other news, it seems others have had a similar reaction to the story.  From the Globe:

QuoteThe main point most people seem to like making is that Ms. Brick may be perky and blond (and certainly not short on confidence). But she isn't really all that ravishing.

Of course, the tweets don't put it quite so politely. Some people have been downright nasty – hurling insults like verbal spitballs. Others have wondered if this isn't all a joke. One imagines that Ms. Brick has a thick skin to match her big ego.

The main point of her essay has a ring of truth to it – as research has shown, women can be the toughest critics of good-looking members of their own sex. (Otherwise, we wouldn't have all those celebrity cellulite spottings in magazines.) One Canadian experiment has demonstrated, for instance, that women will even snipe with strangers if a woman is dressed too provocatively in their presence – something that will come as no surprise to most women.

But the bigger question the essay raises is this: What does the reaction say about us? At best, Ms. Brick looks in the mirror and sees something fabulous – and good on her, though perhaps she was unwise to share that view so baldly with the world. At worst, she's just conceited. But do the rest of us need to be so ugly, as The Telegraph sagely observed.

Writing the Telegraph piece, Brendan O'Neill asks, "Which is sadder: a woman who thinks she is beautiful even though she is actually average-looking, possibly even plain, or the swarming together of thousands and thousands of people to ridicule and heap bile upon said silly woman? Yep, it's the latter."

As he points out, it's not Ms. Brick's essay that should make us take notice, it's all those people on Twitter pouncing with such ferocious delight to attack her.

It's not pretty, to say the least.

What do you think of the reaction to Ms. Brick's essay? And what does it say about us?

What says languish?  Did we really have to be so "ugly".

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

I'm happy for Mrs Brick if she does not have problematic body issue problems. She might be one of those girls who just is fabulous and gorgeous by virtue of her spirit and attitude. Picture wise, the random girl I find at the supermarket is better looking.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

she's what, 41? maybe she's just living int he past. Besides her 50 year old husbands friends, but compared to most 50 year olds she wins be a large margin.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Monoriu

katmai

Besides CC is conceited giant and Drakken is swedish wannabe space cadet from mars, can anyone else catch me up to date on this thread?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on April 03, 2012, 07:51:00 PM
Besides CC is conceited giant and Drakken is swedish wannabe space cadet from mars, can anyone else catch my up to date on this thread?

Brit chicks have weird faces.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 03, 2012, 07:52:51 PM
Besides CC is conceited giant and Drakken is swedish wannabe space cadet from mars, can anyone else catch my up to date on this thread?

Brit chicks have weird faces.

tru dat yo!

Ed Anger

Fun Ed Anger fact:

I thought 'Sporty Spice' looked fuckable.

The 90's were a weird time.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Besides CC is conceited giant and Drakken is swedish wannabe space cadet from mars, can anyone else catch me up to date on this thread?
Woman is conceited, delusional, or all british women are ugly (except brazen). She's dumb for submitting the article. people on the internet are mean.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 03, 2012, 07:57:10 PM
Fun Ed Anger fact:

I thought 'Sporty Spice' looked fuckable.

The 90's were a weird time.

I liked her best :blush: