Woman goes to ER, kicked out for trespassing, dies in jail.

Started by jimmy olsen, April 02, 2012, 04:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on April 02, 2012, 12:33:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2012, 11:14:44 AM
One thing that makes me a little suspicious about the article is how they put "Mom" in the headline rather than "woman".

Well... she probably chose not to afford whore pills.

:punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2012, 12:38:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 12:03:31 PM
One thing that makes me a little suspicious about the article is how they put "Mom" in the headline rather than "woman".

This becoming a thing with you isn't it?

Has been for a while.  If it were a guy who technically happened to have fathered children, do you think they would have used "Dad" in the headline??

Where exactly, are you going with this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on April 02, 2012, 12:38:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 10:44:09 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 02, 2012, 10:33:07 AM
Not sure what either one did wrong. Lady says her ankle hurts, which isn't really a hospital matter, i don't think, and so they ask her to leave. She doesn,'t so cops are called. Later she dies. Even if the hospital had treated her ankle she'd still die from the blood clot.

Exactly who's matter is it when you have a part of your body hurting?  If they had treated her ankle, isn't it possible they would have found the blood clot?  I mean, that is the doctor's job isn't it?  To find out why what is wrong with a person.
If you got to a doctor or hospital becasue your ankle hurts they can't be expected to run a full battery of tests to see what else you may have. They would never work in a real world enviroment. grumbler says taht her ankle was indeed treated, in which case i really can't see what the hospital or the police did wrong.

Alright, if a doctor can't reasonably be expected to find out what's wrong with a person who comes in with a problem, who do you go to?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 12:41:27 PM

Has been for a while.  If it were a guy who technically happened to have fathered children, do you think they would have used "Dad" in the headline??

if women didn't leave the kitchen they wouldn't be getting into all this trouble.

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 12:41:27 PMWhere exactly, are you going with this?

I think derSpiess is suggesting that since she was homeless and mentally ill, she does not deserve the sympathy that normally goes with someone being a mom.

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on April 02, 2012, 12:43:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 12:41:27 PM

if women didn't leave the kitchen they wouldn't be getting into all this trouble.

:P

True.  The tornado would have killed her long ago.

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 12:43:05 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 02, 2012, 12:38:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 10:44:09 AM
Quote from: HVC on April 02, 2012, 10:33:07 AM
Not sure what either one did wrong. Lady says her ankle hurts, which isn't really a hospital matter, i don't think, and so they ask her to leave. She doesn,'t so cops are called. Later she dies. Even if the hospital had treated her ankle she'd still die from the blood clot.

Exactly who's matter is it when you have a part of your body hurting?  If they had treated her ankle, isn't it possible they would have found the blood clot?  I mean, that is the doctor's job isn't it?  To find out why what is wrong with a person.
If you got to a doctor or hospital becasue your ankle hurts they can't be expected to run a full battery of tests to see what else you may have. They would never work in a real world enviroment. grumbler says taht her ankle was indeed treated, in which case i really can't see what the hospital or the police did wrong.

Alright, if a doctor can't reasonably be expected to find out what's wrong with a person who comes in with a problem, who do you go to?
You die :P

Seriously, it's not like TV man, how can you infer that someone has blood clots, or cancer, or something from a twisted ankle or some other minor ailment. If you have symptoms of something they test for that. What else are they supposed to do? Your family doctor can run basic stuff like blood tests, blood pressure and the like to filter out some common diseases (especially if they run in your family), but in the end unless you have specific symptoms it's unlikely to get caught.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

And she was obviously white, or the article would've said "Black", right?

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on April 02, 2012, 12:47:12 PM
You die :P

Seriously, it's not like TV man, how can you infer that someone has blood clots, or cancer, or something from a twisted ankle or some other minor ailment. If you have symptoms of something they test for that. What else are they supposed to do? Your family doctor can run basic stuff like blood tests, blood pressure and the like to filter out some common diseases (especially if they run in your family), but in the end unless you have specific symptoms it's unlikely to get caught.

Oh, I thought that all that time that doctors spent in medical school might be useful for something.  I think that abnormally high blood pressure would be a symptom of blood clots.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 02, 2012, 12:48:27 PM

And she was obviously white, or the article would've said "Black", right?

Article or headline?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on April 02, 2012, 12:45:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 02, 2012, 12:41:27 PMWhere exactly, are you going with this?

I think derSpiess is suggesting that since she was homeless and mentally ill, she does not deserve the sympathy that normally goes with someone being a mom.

Or that moms don't deserve special consideration that other women don't get.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 02, 2012, 01:40:18 PM

Wrong.  My point is that her having given birth to a couple children is not relevant to what happened to her.  It's certainly worth mentioning in the body of the article; I just don't think there's any good reason to mention it in the headline.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2012, 01:45:20 PM
Wrong.  My point is that her having given birth to a couple children is not relevant to what happened to her.  It's certainly worth mentioning in the body of the article; I just don't think there's any good reason to mention it in the headline.

I'm going to go against my natural inclination and agree with you.  Even a blind squirrel finds an occasional acorn.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Seems to me this would would happen under any system.  Patient walks in complaining of a sprained ankle and gets treated for that and is discharged.  That happens even in the country with the best social health care system anywhere  :Canuck:.  How is it that any emergency room health care professional in any system could come to the conclusion that she was also suffering from blood clots which had first formed in her legs and had travelled to her lungs where they would kill her hours later.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2012, 01:45:20 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 02, 2012, 01:40:18 PM

Is her being born female relevant to what happened to her?