Tenn. Science Bill Allowing Creationism In Schools Passes State Senate

Started by jimmy olsen, March 22, 2012, 01:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Question:  Was there a previous law that prohibited students from questioning a scientific theory before?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Fate on March 22, 2012, 09:41:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 09:22:19 AM
We have had that in Texas forever and what it meant for me was 'ok so there is this creationism thing...but enough about that on to the science curriculum'.  And it seems like this is the same thing as it will not impact the science curriculum.  Maybe I am just ignorant but I do not see the harm in just mentioning this issue in schools.
Can we mention "that vaccination causes autism" in schools too as an alternative hypothesis to vaccines wiping out polio and smallpox? Maybe we can have the career counselors in high school talk about how chiropractors, homeopaths, and astrologists are wonderful and respectable career choices as well. There is absolutely no harm in polluting our nation's children with pseudoscience instruction from the government. It's not like it legitimizes it in the minds of the public at all.
Some of those make good money. It's the counselor's job to help kids find good paying jobs (has long as they're not illegal).
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Fate

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 22, 2012, 11:07:03 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 09:22:19 AM
We have had that in Texas forever and what it meant for me was 'ok so there is this creationism thing...but enough about that on to the science curriculum'.  And it seems like this is the same thing as it will not impact the science curriculum.  Maybe I am just ignorant but I do not see the harm in just mentioning this issue in schools.
Can we mention "that vaccination causes autism" in schools too as an alternative hypothesis to vaccines wiping out polio and smallpox? Maybe we can have the career counselors in high school talk about how chiropractors, homeopaths, and astrologists are wonderful and respectable career choices as well. There is absolutely no harm in polluting our nation's children with pseudoscience instruction from the government. It's not like it legitimizes it in the minds of the public at all.
Some of those make good money. It's the counselor's job to help kids find good paying jobs (has long as they're not illegal).
Those aren't good jobs. They're nothing but scam artist professions that are little better than lawyers or Republicans.

Valmy

Sure.  Probably the same way.  'There are people who believe Autism is caused by Vaccines.  Here is the evidence.'  That was how it worked in my classroom.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Fate on March 22, 2012, 11:22:46 AM
Those aren't good jobs. They're nothing but scam artist professions that are little better than lawyers or Republicans.

There is no lower scum than the counselor who would advise children to become lawyers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Retards.  Slip it into the history curriculum and you could successfully argue that you're just giving students an early leg up on anthropology. :P
Experience bij!

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 12:35:30 PM

Sure.  Probably the same way.  'There are people who believe Autism is caused by Vaccines.  Here is the evidence.'  That was how it worked in my classroom.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

There are a lot of people who actually believe that it is illegal to pray in school in the US.  That is not the case.  I think it's illegal to for a teacher to lead the class in prayer or any religious ceremony in a public school, but that's not the say as saying prayer is illegal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on March 24, 2012, 10:57:59 AM
OK. :rolleyes:

Here's the full Chick Tract Big Daddy

The point by point refutation of Big Daddy from Iron Chariots

Edit: I realize the irony of my presenting you with both sides of an issue and letting you decide while arguing that this should not be done in the classroom.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

You have a wiki in place to tell you what to say to every known argument for the existence of God.  :unsure:  That's really weird.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2012, 11:21:00 AM
You have a wiki in place to tell you what to say to every known argument for the existence of God.  :unsure:  That's really weird.

A quick google of "catholic apologetics"

gives me one million sevenhundred and thirty thousand hits. If one makes me wierd, how wierd does 1,730,000 make you?

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on March 24, 2012, 11:27:14 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2012, 11:21:00 AM

A quick google of "catholic apologetics"

gives me one million sevenhundred and thirty thousand hits. If one makes me wierd, how wierd does 1,730,000 make you?

Are any of them wikis?  Are all of them actually websites that promote "Catholic apologetic"?  Here I can type in "Atheism Defense"  http://www.google.com/search?q=Athiesm+defense&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=w0U&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&ei=9vZtT_PhEofO2AX36t3xAQ&ved=0CB4QvwUoAQ&q=Atheism+defense&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=61ced53140c9a9e9&biw=1600&bih=766  I got 12 million and half hits.  I don't think that the number of hits on Google means a great deal, but you seem to.

I think I see why you need this wiki to tell you what to say now. Carry on. :)

Viking

googling "catholic apologetics" gives 1,73 million
googling catholic defense gives 115 million

But, you do make the point that not all 1,73 million sites are catholic apologetics sites, they might be pages referring to catholic apologetics. The first 40 listed are catholic apologetics sites or sites selling books on catholic apologetics. I didn't look any further. However being shocked by what a couple of guys in Austin Texas are doing with a wiki leaves open the question what your view of what the catholic church has been doing these past 2000 years if not asserting something without evidence and then making up arguments to try and justify any counter argument.

I don't think you understand what the word apologetics means and how the Catholic Church invented it.

Razgovory

I understand that I don't have wiki bookmarked to give me arguments and that you do.  Still, if you are happy with your Google hits numbers and what ever comfort that provides you, go for it.  We all have our little crutches to get us through our lives.