Tenn. Science Bill Allowing Creationism In Schools Passes State Senate

Started by jimmy olsen, March 22, 2012, 01:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Lettow still makes the state look more ridiculous.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/20/tennessee-science-bill-al_n_1368261.html?ref=education
QuoteTennessee Science Bill Allowing Discussion Of Creationism In Schools Passes State Senate

The Tennessee state Senate passed a bill Monday that protects teachers who allow student to question and criticize "controversial" scientific theories like evolution.

The Senate voted 24-8 for SB 893, which would allow teachers to help students "understand, analyze, critique and review in an objective manner the scientific strengths and scientific weaknesses of existing scientific theories" like "biological evolution, the chemical origins of life, global warming and human cloning."

"The idea behind this bill is that students should be encouraged to challenge current scientific thought and theory," Republican state Sen. Bo Watson told The Tennesseean. Watson is the bill's sponsor.

The proposal also instructs teachers on how to comfortably and appropriately "address students' concerns about certain scientific theories" within a curriculum established by the Board of Education. The bill would not affect the state's science curriculum.

Democratic opponents of the bill, however, question whether the motives behind the measure are more political than educational. Democratic Sen. Andy Berke said the bill would cast Tennessee in a negative light, referencing the state's historical battleground for evolution in education.

"We're simply dredging up the problems of our past with this bill that will affect our future," Berke told The Tennessean. "I'm a person of faith. If my children ask, 'How does that mesh with my faith?' I don't want their teacher answering that question."

The measure has also drawn staunch opposition from several groups, including the National Center for Science Education and the American Civil Liberties Union. In a statement to legislators, eight Tennesseans who are members of the National Academy of Science said the bill will likely lead to "scientifically unwarranted criticisms of evolution," the Knoxville News-Sentinel reports.

"By undermining the teaching of evolution in Tennessee's public schools, HB368 and SB893 would miseducate students, harm the state's national reputation, and weaken its efforts to compete in a science-driven global economy," the statement reads.

A version of the legislation passed the state House last April, and now the revised Senate version returns to the House for a vote. Gov. Bill Haslam said Monday he would discuss the bill with the state Board of Education.

"It is a fair question what the general assembly's role is," he said. "That's why we have a state board of education."

The move among Tennessee lawmakers is one of several across the country that seeks more wiggle room for discussion or of intelligent design in public schools. Indiana legislators in January moved forward on a bill that would allow school districts to decide whether to include creationism alongside teachings of evolution in science curriculum.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/26/indiana-senate-creationism-teaching-bill_n_1234185.html?ir=Education

Oklahoma, New Hampshire and Missouri have also considered similar bills designed to encourage critical examination of evolution theory.

Research from two Pennsylvania State University professors revealed last year that the majority of public school biology teachers in the U.S. shy away from teaching evolution because they're either unwilling or unprepared to teach it: some advocate creationism while others are afraid to address the topic for fear of controversy.

According to results of the 2009 National Assessment of Educational Progress, a federal test known as the Nation's Report Card, less than half of U.S. fourth-, eighth- and 12-th grade students were considered proficient in science.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

will the students be encouraged to challenge current theological thought and theory?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

11B4V

I'll have to try the cat and butter thing. I dont believe that. 40-50 foot drop test should confirm the results.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 22, 2012, 04:17:29 AM
I'll have to try the cat and butter thing. I dont believe that. 40-50 foot drop test should confirm the results.

When you launch the cat, be sure to use proper grain load.

Valmy

We have had that in Texas forever and what it meant for me was 'ok so there is this creationism thing...but enough about that on to the science curriculum'.  And it seems like this is the same thing as it will not impact the science curriculum.  Maybe I am just ignorant but I do not see the harm in just mentioning this issue in schools.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 09:22:19 AM
Maybe I am just ignorant but I do not see the harm in just mentioning this issue in schools.

There's nothing wrong with mentioning it in school--Sunday School.

Quoteand appropriately "address students' concerns about certain scientific theories" within a curriculum established by the Board of Education.

LOL, like the students are the ones with the concerns.  Just come out and say it, "students' Bible-thumping parents' concerns".

Fate

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2012, 09:22:19 AM
We have had that in Texas forever and what it meant for me was 'ok so there is this creationism thing...but enough about that on to the science curriculum'.  And it seems like this is the same thing as it will not impact the science curriculum.  Maybe I am just ignorant but I do not see the harm in just mentioning this issue in schools.
Can we mention "that vaccination causes autism" in schools too as an alternative hypothesis to vaccines wiping out polio and smallpox? Maybe we can have the career counselors in high school talk about how chiropractors, homeopaths, and astrologists are wonderful and respectable career choices as well. There is absolutely no harm in polluting our nation's children with pseudoscience instruction from the government. It's not like it legitimizes it in the minds of the public at all.

HVC

i went to catholic school so we had the whole creationism thing, which is fine, but they were good enough to keep it out of science class. I blame protties. Damn literalists.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on March 22, 2012, 10:53:20 AM
i went to catholic school so we had the whole creationism thing, which is fine, but they were good enough to keep it out of science class. I blame protties. Damn literalists.

Nobody ever mentioned creationism in Catholic school to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017