Trayvon Martin case: use of Stand Your Ground law or pursuit of a black teen?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on April 25, 2012, 08:32:18 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 04:50:15 PM
More on Zimmerman's background: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/25/us-usa-florida-shooting-zimmerman-idUSBRE83O18H20120425

Makes him look a lot more sympathetic than the "black people hating racist" picture we've seen in the media.

Wow, that is one hell of an article.

However, while the more calm information that comes out about Zimmerman leads to me being much more sympathetic towards him, it doesn't change the fact that the police, at the time, sure seemed to give at best a cursory examination to the killing of a young black man. If a more thorough investigation makes it clear this is really just a rather depressing tragedy, than so be it - but it seems like that investigation would never have occurred except for the intervention of the media.

And someone being shot to death should never be treated callously or with the apparent indifference shown initially.

Why is it "one hell of an article"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 25, 2012, 08:32:18 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 04:50:15 PM
More on Zimmerman's background: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/25/us-usa-florida-shooting-zimmerman-idUSBRE83O18H20120425

Makes him look a lot more sympathetic than the "black people hating racist" picture we've seen in the media.

Wow, that is one hell of an article.

However, while the more calm information that comes out about Zimmerman leads to me being much more sympathetic towards him, it doesn't change the fact that the police, at the time, sure seemed to give at best a cursory examination to the killing of a young black man. If a more thorough investigation makes it clear this is really just a rather depressing tragedy, than so be it - but it seems like that investigation would never have occurred except for the intervention of the media.

And someone being shot to death should never be treated callously or with the apparent indifference shown initially.

I thought I read that the cops thought they had enough evidence to arrest him but prosecutors said no.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2012, 09:11:36 PM

It manages not to contradict the headline in the first few paragraphs, which puts it above some we've seen lately.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 25, 2012, 09:31:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2012, 09:11:36 PM

It manages not to contradict the headline in the first few paragraphs, which puts it above some we've seen lately.

"George Zimmerman: Prelude to a shooting"  I didn't know this was a opera.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

I dont find him very sympathetic after reading that article.  It paints a picture of a guy who thinks he can take the law into his own hands because he views the police as ineffectual.  Vigilantism isnt very sympathetic.  It leads to honest people getting shot or held at gun point as they try to change the locks on their new home.

Guns dont kill people, just the idiots who buy them...

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 26, 2012, 03:36:27 PM
I dont find him very sympathetic after reading that article.  It paints a picture of a guy who thinks he can take the law into his own hands because he views the police as ineffectual. 

:huh:

just look at Seedy
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Realize that Zimmerman has valid concerns about the police forces in America!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on April 26, 2012, 04:46:22 PM
CdM had the good mind to leave. So really, the cops left behind are actually worse then him :ph34r: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2012, 05:27:13 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 26, 2012, 04:46:22 PM
CdM had the good mind to leave. So really, the cops left behind are actually worse then him :ph34r: :P

That's goddamned right.

HVC

:lol:  all kidding aside I like cops. I only ever met one  cop who deserved disdain (and I met a lot of cops, my parents owned a bar in welfare central). And I think being a cop was just incidental to being an overall bitch.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2012, 07:17:02 PM
And I think being a cop was just incidental to being an overall bitch.

Much like other douchebaggy careers, like lawyers, doctors and MBAs, it's the profession that attracts the personality.

Razgovory

No cop has ever given me trouble.  I guess I just look law abiding.  I have met cops that shouldn't have been cops, but they never gave me any trouble.

sbr

I haven't had any trouble with any of the cops I have had official interactions with.

Back years ago when I was in college I stayed home to study on Halloween while my friends went out to party.  They got home and wanted food so I drove everyone to Denny's.  Everyone in the restaurant was in costume, except me and a couple of on duty cops.  They walked past our table on the way out and I said, "Hey nice costumes!".  They were not amused at ALL.  Luckily I was sober.