Trayvon Martin case: use of Stand Your Ground law or pursuit of a black teen?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 11, 2012, 08:42:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2012, 08:08:08 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 11, 2012, 07:39:02 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2012, 07:36:07 PM
Given the fact that they were representing him at all and were doing it pro bono, I think you have to assume that they're enormous attention whores. :hmm:

I met Casey Anthony's lawyer.   :)  He seemed like a nice guy, if a little socially awkward.

He kinda looked like Scip.

:hmm:  A beardless, Puerto Rican Scip crossed with Eliot Spitzer, maybe.

Really?  I thought he had a beard.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 11, 2012, 09:17:15 PM
On further reflection, that's a really odd pocket square.

How so?  It matches the pattern of his shirt in contrast.

Sheesh.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2012, 09:22:06 PM

How so? 

The fold and the seersucker element, mainly.  But I defer to your sartorial judgment, of course.   :worthy:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 11, 2012, 09:45:05 PM

How so? 

The fold and the seersucker element, mainly.  But I defer to your sartorial judgment, of course.   :worthy:

Straight fold has been back in fashion for a while.

Neil

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 11, 2012, 09:45:05 PM
How so? 
Indeed.  You won't win in a fashion-contest against the most high-functioning of the forum gays.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

More on Zimmerman's background: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/25/us-usa-florida-shooting-zimmerman-idUSBRE83O18H20120425

Makes him look a lot more sympathetic than the "black people hating racist" picture we've seen in the media.

CountDeMoney

Meh, still a cop-wannabe with anger management issues.  That's a problem when guns are involved.

DGuller

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on April 25, 2012, 04:50:15 PM
More on Zimmerman's background: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/25/us-usa-florida-shooting-zimmerman-idUSBRE83O18H20120425

Makes him look a lot more sympathetic than the "black people hating racist" picture we've seen in the media.

Wow, that is one hell of an article.

However, while the more calm information that comes out about Zimmerman leads to me being much more sympathetic towards him, it doesn't change the fact that the police, at the time, sure seemed to give at best a cursory examination to the killing of a young black man. If a more thorough investigation makes it clear this is really just a rather depressing tragedy, than so be it - but it seems like that investigation would never have occurred except for the intervention of the media.

And someone being shot to death should never be treated callously or with the apparent indifference shown initially.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

And "Stand Your Ground" laws are fucking stupid. They should be called "Wave Your Gundick" laws, because that is what they are about.

The idea that there was some kind of terrible problem with innocent people not being able to defend themselves in legitimate circumstances such that a law that will inevitable result in giving people a license to shoot first rather than evade trouble is pretty damn hard to buy, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned