Trayvon Martin case: use of Stand Your Ground law or pursuit of a black teen?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

A cop caught me driving on the wrong side of the street once.  Didn't even give me a ticket. :D
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2012, 08:38:52 PM
A cop caught me driving on the wrong side of the street once.  Didn't even give me a ticket. :D

Modern law enforcement is trained regarding sensitivity for the handicapped.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

I would be surprised if that gets ticketed often.  I would imagine that doing it is such an obvious and stupid mistake that embarassment is enough of a punishment.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on April 26, 2012, 11:25:12 PM
I would be surprised if that gets ticketed often.  I would imagine that doing it is such an obvious and stupid mistake that embarassment is enough of a punishment.

The DWI charge is usually enough.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2012, 07:17:02 PM
:lol:  all kidding aside I like cops. I only ever met one  cop who deserved disdain (and I met a lot of cops, my parents owned a bar in welfare central). And I think being a cop was just incidental to being an overall bitch.

Meanwhile, I think I've only met one cop who was worthy of respect. And I think being a cop was just incidental to being worthy of respect. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2012, 11:54:01 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2012, 07:17:02 PM
:lol:  all kidding aside I like cops. I only ever met one  cop who deserved disdain (and I met a lot of cops, my parents owned a bar in welfare central). And I think being a cop was just incidental to being an overall bitch.

Meanwhile, I think I've only met one cop who was worthy of respect. And I think being a cop was just incidental to being worthy of respect. ;)

I work with more cops than anyone but Seedy - and even his experience was only in a past life.

I have met a handful of cop assholes.  But the very large majority were conscientious and caring.

As a general rule though, dealing with cops is a matter of how do you deal with them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

The plot: thickens.
QuoteThe day after George Zimmerman fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, a family physician wrote in a report obtained by ABC News that Zimmerman had a broken nose, "a pair of black eyes, two lacerations to the back of his head and a minor back injury."

The three-page medical report is part of the discovery -- stacks of documents and CDs – currently being examined by the prosecution and the defense, ABC News reported.

The doctor wrote that Zimmerman, 28, made an appointment to make sure he could return to work, ABC News reported. Zimmerman, an insurance underwriter at the time, told the doctor that his lower back hurt; photos  show that he also had bruising on his upper lip.

The report also notes that Zimmerman had been prescribed mood medications Adderall and Temazepam before the shooting, ABC News reported. The doctor added that Zimmerman refused to go to the hospital the night of the shooting and added that it was "imperative" that he see his psychologist.

On the night of the shooting, police officials from Sanford, Fla. said that Zimmerman told them he had used the gun in self-defense.

After more than a month of legal handwringing, during which the case was being intensely scrutinized by the media, Zimmerman was charged with second-degree murder for Martin's death on Feb. 26. The prosecution contends that Zimmerman tracked the teen, who was returning to the gated community, where his father's girlfriend lived, after buying snacks at a corner store.

He was charged on April 11; he was released from jail 12 days later on $150,000 bail.

Since the shooting, debate has raged over whether Martin attacked Zimmerman before being shot, punching him in the face and hitting his head against the pavement.

Martin's family, pointing to surveillance video from the police station, note that Zimmerman didn't have any apparent wounds. Zimmerman's attorney argued that the footage was of too-low quality to determine whether he had been injured.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

WTF!?  :wacko:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/11/trayvon-martin-gun-range-targets-sold-out-in-two-days/
Quote'Trayvon Martin' gun range targets sold out in two days
By David Edwards
Friday, May 11, 2012 13:24 EDT

A person selling gun range targets modeled after slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin says that their "main motivation was to make money off the controversy."

WKMG's Mike DeForest reported on Friday that the unidentified seller told him that the targets "sold out in 2 days."

"The response is overwhelming," the seller said.

While the item appears to have been removed from GunBroker.com, a cached version of the page was still available at the time of publication.

Photos of the item, which was titled "10 Pack Trayvon Martin Targets," showed crosshairs over a hoodie similar to the one Trayvon Martin was wearing when he was shot by neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman in February. The figure has a bag of Skittle in his pocket and is holding what appears to be a can of iced tea, similar to what Martin had purchased before being gunned down. The pack of 10 targets was being sold for $8.

"Everyone knows the story of Zimmerman and Martin," a description on the targets reads. "Obviously we support Zimmerman and believe he is innocent and that he shot a thug. Each target is printed on thick, high quality poster paper with a matte finish! The dimensions are 12″x18″ ( The same as Darkotic Zombie Targets) This is a Ten Pack of Targets."

The seller's ID was listed as "hillerarmco" from Virginia Beach, Virginia. A website by the same name is registered to Hiller Armament Company in Virginia Beach, but the associated phone number had been disconnected.

Zimmerman attorney Mark O'Mara told WKMG that this type of "hatred" just makes his client's defense even more problematic.

"This is the highest level of disgust and the lowest level of civility," O'Mara said. "It's this type of hatred — that's what this is, it's hate-mongering — that's going to make it more difficult to try this case."

"I hope there is a crime that we can charge that person who made that with," he added. "I'm not sure what it is, but we need to come up with one because that's disgusting."

Watch this video fro WKMG, broadcast Mat 11, 2012.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

The next logical step is to sell Zombie Trayvon Martin targets.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall