News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you work standard business hours?

Started by Zanza, March 11, 2012, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you work standard business hours?

Yes, about 40h between 8 am - 5 pm (or whatever is standard in your place)
22 (50%)
No, working during the day, but considerably more than 40h
9 (20.5%)
No, working about 40h, but not during the standard times (starting early/ending late)
4 (9.1%)
No, working shifts during the day (e.g. rotating between early and late shift)
3 (6.8%)
No, working shifts including night shifts
1 (2.3%)
No, not working
3 (6.8%)
Part-time, which is sorta like not working
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Part-timer, somewhat reluctantly, shifts all over the board.  Couldn't handle "standard business hours" due to a morning class that I have.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Generally 8:00 to 4:30, but right now I'm working from home and setting my own hours.  Trying to cram in a lot of work the beginning of this week so I can free up some time for hoopage.

HisMajestyBOB

The hours at my school are 1pm-9pm Wed-Fri, 9am-6pm Sat & Sun, and Mon & Tues off.
In practice, it's less than that - I typically leave after my last class on Wed & Thrs, so around 8pm, and get in around 3pm on Wed. On the other hand, my first class on Sunday starts at 8:45, making for a really long day.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Barrister

I'm working a slightly modified work pattern of about 7:15 to 3:30 - but always subject to court requirements.  If court runs late I'm stuck there until it's over.

But that is due in part to the particular duties I've been doing.  Once I (finally!) move back to regualr trial work it'll become more irregular.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

While I'm traning my replacements and hand over my projects I'm currently working 7 am till 6 pm (normal crunch time mode). Normally it would be 7 to 4 or 5, and fridays 7 to 1.

In my next job it'll be 9 am till 5:30 pm every day.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Yeah, 8.20-16.15.
It sucks.
I don't know what I want to do for a job in the future but I sure as hell know it doesn't involve being at my desk before 9.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

I really wish they would just start the severance stage already.

Caliga

Normal hours in the office are roughly 8:45 am to 5:45-6:00 pm, but most nights I also do stuff at home, and fairly often on weekends also.  For example, this past weekend I was working on something on Saturday morning from around 6 am to 8 am, and Sunday night from about 9 pm to 10 pm.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Mr.Penguin

Works either early (05:30 - 13:00) or normal hours (07:00 - 14:30), it depends on the job I have assigned. Also the length of the workday may differers from day to day. Wednesday and Friday are usually the long workdays...   
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

The Larch

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 12, 2012, 11:16:30 PM
The hours at my school are 1pm-9pm Wed-Fri, 9am-6pm Sat & Sun, and Mon & Tues off.
In practice, it's less than that - I typically leave after my last class on Wed & Thrs, so around 8pm, and get in around 3pm on Wed. On the other hand, my first class on Sunday starts at 8:45, making for a really long day.

Classes on a sunday? Those chinese are crazy...

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2012, 03:25:51 AM
I don't know what I want to do for a job in the future but I sure as hell know it doesn't involve being at my desk before 9.

Good luck with that, not many office-type jobs allow for that kind of schedule. I was very spoiled by my two first jobs, which allowed me a more or less flexible timetable for entering and leaving the office, and me not being a morning person it crystalized in not entering before 9:30. It was tough to adjust to other jobs which demanded being at 8 sharp at my desk.

At the moment personally I'd go with some kind of "other" answer, as I'm learning my ropes at freelance work, which involves setting my own hours, so at the moment it's slightly chaotic and/or anarchic.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2012, 06:31:09 AM

Of course! The kids have to go to public school during the week, so they go to private schools on weekends. Any time left over is to be spent on homework.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Larch

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 13, 2012, 06:46:52 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2012, 06:31:09 AM

Of course! The kids have to go to public school during the week, so they go to private schools on weekends. Any time left over is to be spent on homework.

Jesus Christ, private academies at least respect sundays over here. No wonder Chinese kids end up crazy.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2012, 03:25:51 AM
Yeah, 8.20-16.15.
It sucks.

You adjust.

The first couple weeks of my "getting to my desk by 7" was rough, but your body gets used to it after awhile.  And there are definite upsides.  All things being equal I pull out of my office at 3:30 - at that point a good chunk of the afternoon is still free.  Hell even by the time I take the train home, pick up my son from his dayhome, and get home and change out of my suit it's only 5pm.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.