It can't get any worse than accidentally burning Korans, right? Right?

Started by CountDeMoney, March 11, 2012, 01:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2012, 12:29:59 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 15, 2012, 12:02:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2012, 11:53:40 AM
Maybe you shouldn't be working there then.  I'm sure having contempt for a people hinders efforts to create propaganda.

Eh, not sure respect for the subjects is that helpful when trying to manipulate large groups of people. I suspect many people in marketing and advertising are cynical assholes.

Contempt for your audience shows through in your work.

Don't think it matters so much when your audience holds you in even more contempt.

Razgovory

I think Hans hold most of us in mild contempt, which is why his arguments suck so much.  As opposed to me who loves each and everyone one of you, and has splendid arguments that are elegant, logical, and full of warm feelings and good cheer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

My arguments are awesome because I hold myself in contempt.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2012, 12:39:13 PM
I think Hans hold most of us in mild contempt, which is why his arguments suck so much.

It ain't mild.  :lol:

Siege

I never thought Penetta for a coward.

The message was two-fold and clear: "I don't trust my own people, and I am afraid to die."

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jacob

Quote from: Siege on March 15, 2012, 05:52:21 PMThe message was two-fold and clear: "I don't trust my own people, and I am afraid to die."

Many people feel they have reasons to continue living, siegy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on March 15, 2012, 05:52:21 PM

The message was two-fold and clear: "I don't trust my own people, and I am afraid to die."

Do you go without body armor?  Do you ride on the top of the Styker?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2012, 10:20:50 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 15, 2012, 05:52:21 PM

Do you go without body armor?  Do you ride on the top of the Styker?
Don't give him any ideas. :unsure:  :hmm:  Never mind, forget I said that.

Siege

Quote from: Jacob on March 15, 2012, 05:57:18 PM
Quote from: Siege on March 15, 2012, 05:52:21 PMThe message was two-fold and clear: "I don't trust my own people, and I am afraid to die."

Many people feel they have reasons to continue living, siegy.

Well, yeah. I do too. But I refuse to live my life in fear of death or pain.
It just doesn't work. From a practical point of view, fear only makes you make mistakes, and thus fail at whatever you are doing.

Anyway, I do feel fear, I just overcome it with determination to accomplish the mission.
As time passes, fear becomes an old friend, always there when the bullets fly.
And if you embrace it, it makes you faster, stronger.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

11B4V

I think Hans hold most of us in mild contempt, which is why his arguments suck so much.  As opposed to me who loves each and everyone one of you, and has splendid arguments that are elegant, logical, and full of warm feelings and good cheer.

I think it's more insecurity. He knows the GOP is now a collection of wackos and outdated fundies. He knows in his heart, that he no longer identifies with them and therefor he is lost.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

The dude is a Buckeye. We're in ur villages killin ur d00ds.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on March 16, 2012, 09:09:02 PM

I think it's more insecurity. He knows the GOP is now a collection of wackos and outdated fundies. He knows in his heart, that he no longer identifies with them and therefor he is lost.

Yes, Hans knows this.  I remember him talking about 32 year cycles of political ascendancy.  The GOP was on top in their current cycle.  I pointed out that meant his party was big trouble then.  He didn't really have an answer for that.  At least one I can remember.

citizen k

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-16/robert-bales-said-to-be-suspect-in-afghan-civilian-shootings-1-.html

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, 1st platoon sergeant, Blackhorse Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, in 2011.

Martinus

He looks mentally retarded and/or psychotic in that picture.