Rush Limbaugh's apology doesn't change anything

Started by garbon, March 05, 2012, 01:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

As an outsider following American politics pretty closesly for 30 years or so, there does seem to have been a change in the right in the last few years.

The relogious right were always vocal and important but they never seemed to have quite the stanglehold on the right that they do now.

It's a great shame. Some hugely important and inventive policies have come out of the US right over the decades. It seems to me to be intellectually moribund at present. I hope it is a temporary phenomenen but read Speesh and others jumping to the defence of scum like Limbaugh makes me doubt it.

derspiess

Rush Limbaugh is not the Religious Right, ya goofs. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 10:09:55 AM

Of course not, but his listeners overlap pretty immensely, and he certainly panders to them. Without them, this entire contraception thing is a non-issue. Limbaugh is certainly no religious nut, but he is a nutjob radical right asshole, and that makes him a rather close ally of the religious right, and vice versa.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Gups

Which issues does Rush part company with the Religious Right on (serious question - I've never heard his show)?

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 06, 2012, 10:15:00 AM

Of course not, but his listeners overlap pretty immensely, and he certainly panders to them. Without them, this entire contraception thing is a non-issue. Limbaugh is certainly no religious nut, but he is a nutjob radical right asshole, and that makes him a rather close ally of the religious right, and vice versa.

I don't think you have to be a Religious Right nutjob to disagree with the notion that Catholic institutions should be required by federal law (or executive fiat or whatever) to provide free contraception to students or employees.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Gups on March 06, 2012, 10:20:27 AM
Which issues does Rush part company with the Religious Right on (serious question - I've never heard his show)?

Can't think of any off the top of my head.  I can say his sense of humor and thought process are pretty distinguishable from your typical RR'er.

He's socially conservative-- bash him for that if you want, but he's not really part of the Religious Reich that keeps Berkut up at night.

Admiral Yi

Gups:

I've never heard him talk the Jesus talk on his show.  He's the right wing equivalent of MSNBC--his raison d'etre is to bash Democrats.  If some cultural conservative issues happen to come up while doing so, so be it, but that's not his main schtick.

Gups

So he takes his position on issues like this one on the basis that his enemies'' enemy is his friend rather than as a matter of principle?

PDH

I am not sure principle is part of his being.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Gups on March 06, 2012, 10:59:04 AM
So he takes his position on issues like this one on the basis that his enemies'' enemy is his friend rather than as a matter of principle?

You are overthinking this.  He is an entertainer with a radio show.  The political angle is just the schtick is uses to pull in an audience.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 10:35:15 AM
I don't think you have to be a Religious Right nutjob to disagree with the notion that Catholic institutions should be required by federal law (or executive fiat or whatever) to provide free contraception to students or employees.

Geez, everybody's just hearing what they want to hear out of this one.  Not free contraception, healthcare packages that include coverage of contraception.  Big, neon difference there.

And that's the kicker.  Employees.  To their students?  I don't have a problem with them restricting availability to their students.  By definition, a Catholic school is instilling their dogma in their students.  Don't like it?  Withdraw the student and send them to a protestant school, or even (gasp) public school.  But as an employer, they're not some special class that gets to make up their own rules for dealing with employees that may or may not share their religious beliefs.  They've got to follow the same rules that everyone else does.
Experience bij!

Jacob

So in summary: Mr. Limbaugh doesn't talk much about Jesus, but on actual policy he happens to agree with the religious right 19 out of 20 times?

... or are there any issues where he's at odds with the religious right?

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2012, 10:35:15 AMI don't think you have to be a Religious Right nutjob to disagree with the notion that Catholic institutions should be required by federal law (or executive fiat or whatever) to provide free contraception to students or employees.

Yeah, you pretty much do.

Gups

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 06, 2012, 11:18:14 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 06, 2012, 10:59:04 AM

You are overthinking this.  He is an entertainer with a radio show.  The political angle is just the schtick is uses to pull in an audience.

Like I said, I've never heard him speak. I only read news reports or comments about him. From these he seems to be failry influential.

katmai

More so 20 years ago, ever since the drug problems and previous nonsensical rants like this have destroyed his cred.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son