News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US-Cuban Relations under Obama

Started by derspiess, May 01, 2009, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: saskganesh on May 01, 2009, 03:16:46 PM
here's a pretty good timeline of how things could work out regarding normalisation:

http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/chronology.html

(just substitute property for MIA's)

You think that Cuba will give the US a 90% ownership in its' number one crop?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 01, 2009, 03:06:47 PM
That's likely.  I don't know the rates but most developing countries tax remittances as income.  It's the primary source of inward investment in many.
Are you suggesting this is the standard income tax at work and not a special remittance tax?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2009, 01:45:34 AMAre you suggesting this is the standard income tax at work and not a special remittance tax?
It could be.  I didn't understand why you brought up that Cuba taxes remittances at all.  Almost all developing countries tax remittances because they're a major source of income. 

I think the UK has a taxes remittances too actually.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2009, 12:18:05 PM
And btw, I know some of you think Cubans probably have all the human rights they need (in the form of free health care and education), but some of us odd sorts view freedom of speech, association, etc. to be fundamental human rights.

I agree that we should not be Cuba's best buds but I fail to see how being unpleasant is a good enough reason to keep the embargo going.  We put the embargo on Cuba because they allied with the Soviets not because they were oppressive...if that was the reason we would probably have stopped trading with most of Latin America at some point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 01, 2009, 12:20:52 PM
To be honest I don't think that'll ever happen.

Neither do I.  I was just setting up the range of what could be considered a concession. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall