News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US-Cuban Relations under Obama

Started by derspiess, May 01, 2009, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

The changing back & forth rhetoric between the US and Cuba has been interesting so far in the Obama era.  Not long ago, it sounded as if the Barack-Raul lovefest might indeed spawn normalized relations-- some 'analysts' were even anticipating a deal of sorts at the recent Summit of the Americas.  The resumption of some travel/remittances to Cuba seemed to generate some serious momentum.

Hell, I thought Obama might very well be able to get some concessions out of Cuba in exchange for ending the embargo (this is my preferred scenario, btw.)

Well since the summit, it seems that Fidel has reeled in his little brother a bit, first "clarifying" Raul's statement that expressed willingness to put human rights on the table for potential US-Cuba talks, and now by accusing the US of wanting to "enslave" Cuba. 

I know this idiotic bullshit is typical for his May Day speeches/statements, but Fidel seems to be upping the rhetoric to prevent any improvement in US-Cuba relations. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_cuba;_ylt=AnEDqBeiOtbLAj1fk5CctJm3IxIF

Thoughts?  What will/should Obama do?  Should the US demand concessions of some sort from Cuba?  Would Obama be willing to expend political capital to cancel the embargo without preconditions?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I think the CIA should arm the Cubans in America with vintage World War 2 weapons and allow them to try and take back the island.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

The Cuban in Florida hate Castro, to win the Presindency you need Florida.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

just drop the embargo and let the Floridians buy the island. problem solved.
humans were created in their own image

Grallon

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2009, 11:16:27 AM

Thoughts?  What will/should Obama do?  Should the US demand concessions of some sort from Cuba?  Would Obama be willing to expend political capital to cancel the embargo without preconditions?

Remember, the US under Obama are trying to improve their image on the world stage.  In that light, the they should not make 'demands' of anyone.  Besides if a 50 year embargo hasn't cowed Cuba, maintaining it for another 50 won't make a difference.  So how exactly would asking for concessions work ?  A third war perhaps ?  And what would such concessions be anyway ?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Berkut

Indeed, grallon is right.

Obama should go ask raul what the US can do in return for the US for dropping the embargo. We should make some concessions to Cuba, and maybe then they will allow us to reset the relationship.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

I think Obama should lift the embargo regardless.  If he manages to get something out of Cuba, good.  If not, then the embargo is still stupid, and should go.  History shows that open relations with free market democracies are the biggest danger to communist regimes, so we can put a dent in Cuba's communism that way even without getting any concessions.

Ancient Demon

Wait for Fidel Castro to die, then lift the embargo. I don't think any improvement in relations is possible as long as he lives.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

KRonn

Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2009, 11:17:59 AM
I think the CIA should arm the Cubans in America with vintage World War 2 weapons and allow them to try and take back the island.
This sounds like the best plan.

Hmm... I wonder if it's been tried before....

garbon

What's the point of the embargo again?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

It's purpose is to prop up the Communist regime in Cuba by giving them a believable external threat.

Martinus

I think US should take a hardline approach towards Cuba until all those guilty of human rights abuse and torture in the Cuban military base of Guantanamo are brought to justice.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on May 01, 2009, 11:47:12 AM
I think US should take a hardline approach towards Cuba until all those guilty of human rights abuse and torture in the Cuban military base of Guantanamo are brought to justice.

Done.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 01, 2009, 11:46:27 AM
It's purpose is to prop up the Communist regime in Cuba by giving them a believable external threat.

Meh, I am no fan of the embargo, but the idea that it is what is keeping the Castros in charge is a bit of a stretch.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2009, 11:17:59 AM

But this time we should shoot any that try to get back.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017