News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US-Cuban Relations under Obama

Started by derspiess, May 01, 2009, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2009, 11:17:59 AM
I think the CIA should arm the Cubans in America with vintage World War 2 weapons and allow them to try and take back the island.
You are insane. Korean War era weaponry should be far more effective and nearly as cheap.
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2009, 11:16:27 AMThoughts?  What will/should Obama do?  Should the US demand concessions of some sort from Cuba?  Would Obama be willing to expend political capital to cancel the embargo without preconditions?
I think this is to some extent Obama's strategy with rogue states.  If the US is the friendly country that's willing to talk it makes their anti-American rhetoric difficult to sustain, lessens antipathy in other (in this case Latin American) countries and makes it seem like the Cubans/Venezualans/Iranians are the ones unwilling to make an honest deal, which is usually the case.

I watched an interview with James Baker and he said that Reagan through to Clinton offered the Iranians unconditional talks at Secretary of State level on all subjects.  It never happened because the Iranian regime could never generate enough support to meet with the US at that level.  The one time they tried, with Clinton, Khatami authorised the meeting (at the UN) and, at the last minute, unknown to the US delegation Khameini needed to speak with the Foreign Minister.  So even then it failed.  But I think it recasts how it appears and puts the onus on the other regimes to make a very minimal concession, to be willing to negotiate in good faith.

On Cuba in particular I think it's just bizarre that it's a topic for discussion really.  This is a tiny, impoverished Caribbean island.  Lift the embargo, don't.  I don't think it matters hugely to the US (though it would be enormous to the Cuban economy). 

I think the changes made so far which I believe are to do with Cuban Americans visitng Cuba seem to me to be pretty common sense.  I think it should be lifted in general terms because I don't think Cuba's regime is that egregious.  But I don't think Cuba should occupy more than five minutes worth of thought or action.  It's unimportant.  Same goes for Chavez actually.  I think the American over-reaction (in my opinion) to Castro in the 60s and Chavez recently has actually bolstered their position.  It makes them seem far, far more important than they are.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Grallon on May 01, 2009, 11:30:09 AM
And what would such concessions be anyway ?

Concessions could range anywhere from compensation to US/Cuban citizens who had their property expropriated by the communist regime (the Cuban one, that is ;) )  to concrete human rights improvements by the Cuban gov't. to vague promises from Cuba to do something sometime in the future in the general direction of improving human rights.

And btw, I know some of you think Cubans probably have all the human rights they need (in the form of free health care and education), but some of us odd sorts view freedom of speech, association, etc. to be fundamental human rights.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 01, 2009, 12:13:54 PM
I think the changes made so far which I believe are to do with Cuban Americans visitng Cuba seem to me to be pretty common sense.  I think it should be lifted in general terms because I don't think Cuba's regime is that egregious.  But I don't think Cuba should occupy more than five minutes worth of thought or action.  It's unimportant.  Same goes for Chavez actually.  I think the American over-reaction (in my opinion) to Castro in the 60s and Chavez recently has actually bolstered their position.  It makes them seem far, far more important than they are.

I disagree that we've overreacted to Chavez, but putting that aside, don't you think an improvement in US-Cuban relations would result in a general improvement in US relations with Latin America? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2009, 12:18:05 PM
Concessions could range anywhere from compensation to US/Cuban citizens who had their property expropriated by the communist regime (the Cuban one, that is ;) )
To be honest I don't think that'll ever happen.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2009, 12:20:42 PMI disagree that we've overreacted to Chavez, but putting that aside, don't you think an improvement in US-Cuban relations would result in a general improvement in US relations with Latin America?
I think it would, but I think a lot of recent hostility was anti-Bush feeling.  If I were deciding I would treat Castro and Chavez as irrelevances, guys who just don't matter and fete Bachmann (sp?) and Lula.  Avoid the Kirchners.

Though I do think getting rid of the embargo would be an objectively good thing.

Got to run to dinner, I'll post more later :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2009, 11:44:30 AM
What's the point of the embargo again?
To punish Cuba for expropriating US-owned property.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on May 01, 2009, 12:18:05 PM
Quote from: Grallon on May 01, 2009, 11:30:09 AM
And what would such concessions be anyway ?

Concessions could range anywhere from compensation to US/Cuban citizens who had their property expropriated by the communist regime (the Cuban one, that is ;) )  to concrete human rights improvements by the Cuban gov't. to vague promises from Cuba to do something sometime in the future in the general direction of improving human rights.

And btw, I know some of you think Cubans probably have all the human rights they need (in the form of free health care and education), but some of us odd sorts view freedom of speech, association, etc. to be fundamental human rights.

They don't, those that did left or died a long time ago. All they really want is to be able to buy TVs & Playstations.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

As an aside, I recently heard that the Cuban government takes 33% off the top of any remittances.  The source was a Miami Cuban so take the information with as many grains of salt as you think appropriate.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2009, 03:01:30 PM
As an aside, I recently heard that the Cuban government takes 33% off the top of any remittances.  The source was a Miami Cuban so take the information with as many grains of salt as you think appropriate.
That's likely.  I don't know the rates but most developing countries tax remittances as income.  It's the primary source of inward investment in many.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2009, 03:01:30 PM

They are a Communist country - frankly I am surprised it is as low as 33%.

Shouldn't they take it all, and divide it up evenly amongst The People?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

saskganesh

here's a pretty good timeline of how things could work out regarding normalisation:

http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/chronology.html

(just substitute property for MIA's)
humans were created in their own image

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 01, 2009, 11:21:27 AM
The Cuban in Florida hate Castro, to win the Presindency you need Florida.

This has changed in the last few years. The children of the the refugees from the 50s and 60s and the refugees of the 80s and later have different attitudes to the refugees from the 50s and 60s.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSTRE53K5CS20090421

QuoteForty-three percent said they favored ending the embargo while 42 percent said they thought it should continue and 15 percent said they had no answer or were unable to respond when asked their opinion about the sanctions.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Quote from: Berkut on May 01, 2009, 11:33:34 AM
Indeed, grallon is right.

Obama should go ask raul what the US can do in return for the US for dropping the embargo. We should make some concessions to Cuba, and maybe then they will allow us to reset the relationship.

:lol:

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2009, 01:07:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2009, 11:44:30 AM
What's the point of the embargo again?
To punish Cuba for expropriating US-owned property.

Meyer Lansky is dead Yi.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017