And we're back!

Main Menu

Lent

Started by Sheilbh, February 22, 2012, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2012, 10:34:47 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2012, 10:20:02 AM
QuoteIn my region a traditional carnival dessert are "filloas", which are sorta like French crepes, so not quite pancakes and traditionally sweet, but you get the idea. 
Just looked up the recipe and it's basically the same.  The British one is normally just flour, eggs, milk and a pinch of salt so you can have savoury and sweet.  Is that Galician or all over Spain?

Also what do you do with the blood?  I'm imagining like large thin slices of black pudding :mmm:

It's basically Galician, although you can find them a bit around the NW of Spain.

And a "Filloa de sangue" looks like this:

It's basically the same recipe than the normal one, but with added pig blood in the mixture.

That looks like a big pile of shit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

CountDeMoney

Thank you, now I have to take a dump.

Sheilbh

It's basically the same recipe than the normal one, but with added pig blood in the mixture.
Interesting.  How do you eat them, are they savoury or sweet?  Looked up blood pancake and apparently it's something the Finns eat with jam.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

A lot of stuff Sheilbh mentions is also reflected in Polish culture/religiosity, so I suspect this is more of an European Catholic thing.

We have the Fat Thursday (the Thursday preceding the Ash Wednesday), and the Shrove Tuesday (literally "Leftovers") when people eat a lot of sweets, especially "paczki" (jelly-filled dougnuts) and "faworki" (crisp delicate pastry made of dough twisted into ribbons, deep-fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar).

Two styles of paczki (btw, "paczki" is plural of "paczek"):

Glazened:

Non-glazened:

Faworki:

On Ash Wednesday Catholics are supposed not to eat meat and generally refrain from luxurious foods - this, along with Good Friday, is one of the "strict fast" days in the Catholic calendar (although traditionally, the Christmas Eve is also a day of fasting in Poland, with the Christmas Eve dinner featuring only fish). Fish btw is not considered "meat", same with eggs.

During the entire Lent, Catholics are supposed to refrain from parties and dancing, and on Fridays they are also supposed to fast but this is not as strictly enforced.

I remember as a kid all these things used to be a big deal, but these days both the fasting and dancing thing is not really observed by younger people, including Catholics.

There is also a concept of giving up some vices (sex, masturbation, alcohol, tobacco, etc.) for lent, but again this is optional.

During the Lent period, in Catholic churches there is a special Friday evening ritual (not a holy mass btw) called the Stations of the Cross ("Droga Krzyżowa"), which involves people meditating on Christ's path to Calvary - this is the same as done by the Pope in the Collisseum on the Good Friday. I remember being forced to go to these as a kid, by the pressure from the priest.  <_<

11B4V

That stuff looks normal.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2012, 10:57:37 AM
A lot of stuff Sheilbh mentions is also reflected in Polish culture/religiosity, so I suspect this is more of an European Catholic thing.
I think a lot of the Fat Tuesday stuff is a bit deeper, but it does seem common across Europe. 

It probably started as something Catholic or Orthodox but it's since survived the Reformation.  As I say pancake day and lent here aren't terribly religious.  I've a friend in the Netherlands who said they have a big party and feasting before Ash Wednesday even though the Netherlands is officially Calvinist and not really that religious.

We have hot cross buns in the run-up to Easter too:

Apparently they tried to ban them during the Reformation but they were too popular so Elizabeth allowed bakeries to sell them but only on Christmas and Easter.  Though you can get them all year round now they're still associated with Easter and they're normally cheap this time of year :mmm:

We have the Stations of the Cross too and, yeah, for the Catholics Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are supposed to be fast days.  You don't eat anything all day unless you're old, very young, pregnant or ill.

Though as I say I'm surprised it's so religious and rarely observed in the US.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

I admit it's not a flattering pic, better looking ones are like brown-reddish versions of the normal ones.

They're a bit like blood puddings in that they also normally contain pine nuts and raisins.

Martinus

Here "fast" means you just don't eat meat and sweets (and possibly butter). I guess Poles like food too much to put up with "not eating anything" - only the fanatics do that.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2012, 11:18:10 AM
Though as I say I'm surprised it's so religious and rarely observed in the US.

I always figured it was because the Baptist don't seem to observe any of those things.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Yeah, to me the customs surrounding the end of the Carnivale and the Lent itself are a quintessential Catholic thing. There is very little actual spirituality in that, but a lot of obscure ritual and "fun" stuff (like sinful excess followed by for-show penance). I could see how Puritans, Baptists and the like would consider it to be some of the worst examples of Catholic excesses.

To me, stuff like this actually makes it worth to be a Catholic - a bunch of middle class people reading Bible and refraining from alcohol and sodomy is where the snooze fest begins.

FunkMonk

Quote from: 11B4V on February 23, 2012, 10:38:36 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2012, 10:20:02 AM
QuoteIn my region a traditional carnival dessert are "filloas", which are sorta like French crepes, so not quite pancakes and traditionally sweet, but you get the idea. 
Just looked up the recipe and it's basically the same.  The British one is normally just flour, eggs, milk and a pinch of salt so you can have savoury and sweet.  Is that Galician or all over Spain?

Also what do you do with the blood?  I'm imagining like large thin slices of black pudding :mmm:

It's basically Galician, although you can find them a bit around the NW of Spain.

big pile of shit

That looks like a big pile of shit.

:lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2012, 12:18:08 PM
To me, stuff like this actually makes it worth to be a Catholic

The only thing that would make it worthwhile to be any type of Christian would be getting into Heaven/avoiding Hell.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2012, 12:23:15 PM
The only thing that would make it worthwhile to be any type of Christian would be getting into Heaven/avoiding Hell.

True story. The trappings are neat, but they're just trappings.
and the horse you rode in on

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2012, 12:18:08 PM
Yeah, to me the customs surrounding the end of the Carnivale and the Lent itself are a quintessential Catholic thing. There is very little actual spirituality in that, but a lot of obscure ritual and "fun" stuff (like sinful excess followed by for-show penance). I could see how Puritans, Baptists and the like would consider it to be some of the worst examples of Catholic excesses.

To me, stuff like this actually makes it worth to be a Catholic - a bunch of middle class people reading Bible and refraining from alcohol and sodomy is where the snooze fest begins.

FYI....Catholics frown on that whole sodomy thing.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011