News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lent

Started by Sheilbh, February 22, 2012, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2012, 02:02:39 PM
I've decided I hate Ash Wednesday. Every year I get tricked my the first person I see with a dirty smudge. :(

It's funny. For Poland being such a Catholic country I've never seen anyone like that in the street here.

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2012, 06:06:07 PM
I had no idea this was still a sectarian or terribly religious thing. 
I had no idea this was still a thing.

rufweed

dps

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2012, 06:06:07 PM
I had no idea this was still a sectarian or terribly religious thing.  I had pancakes with friends last night and they were all giving something up (or going to the gym more) for lent.  None of them are religious at all.

If you take part in pancake day you should be required to sacrifice something for lent <_<

That seems weird.  I mean, I get why non-Christians observe Christmas--the exchanging of the gifts and decorating and stuff can be fun.  But why a non-Christian would give up something for Lent I can't comprehend.

And even among Christians, at least in the parts of the country I've lived in, it's mostly a Catholic or Orthodox thing. 

Camerus

Some people feel challenging themselves by doing a self-sacrifice for 40 days will, if successful, increase their confidence and mojo.  Religion doesn't have to factor into it at all.

As for the question, my usual poisons.

Scipio

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2012, 09:31:22 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 22, 2012, 09:30:05 AM
Nothing at all. Come on, not even my grandma gives up dairy.
I wanted to do the full Greek Lent inspired by Kazantzakis, but I could face giving up dairy, eggs, meat, fish, oil and wine :bleeding:

You get Alcohol and oil on Saturdays and Sundays.  I'm looking forward to my traditional ten pounds of lost weight for Lent.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on February 22, 2012, 10:38:52 PM
That seems weird.  I mean, I get why non-Christians observe Christmas--the exchanging of the gifts and decorating and stuff can be fun.  But why a non-Christian would give up something for Lent I can't comprehend.
I think people treat it like a second chance at New Year's resolutions and that sort of thing.  Plus I've known loads of people who start (or try) to quit smoking with Lent and that sort of thing.  It's pretty common.  As I say almost everyone I know is doing something for lent.

Do you guys have pancake day?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2012, 07:33:56 AM
I think people treat it like a second chance at New Year's resolutions and that sort of thing.  Plus I've known loads of people who start (or try) to quit smoking with Lent and that sort of thing.  It's pretty common.  As I say almost everyone I know is doing something for lent.

Never heard of it, is it a British tradition, maybe?

Eddie Teach

I try to have Pancake Day a couple times a month. :mmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 23, 2012, 07:45:34 AM
By the sounds of it. I always thought Americans had it though.

It's for Shrove Tuesday, before Lent starts, you eat loads of pancakes (I had cheese ones, some with cured meats and cheese, lemon and sugar, honey, syrup...:mmm:) traditionally it's to use up all of the ingredients that you wouldn't eat during Lent - like butter, eggs, milk and sugar.  It's the traditional, less full-on British version of Carnival or Mardi Gras I think.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2012, 07:51:24 AM
By the sounds of it. I always thought Americans had it though.

It's for Shrove Tuesday, before Lent starts, you eat loads of pancakes (I had cheese ones, some with cured meats and cheese, lemon and sugar, honey, syrup...:mmm:) traditionally it's to use up all of the ingredients that you wouldn't eat during Lent - like butter, eggs, milk and sugar.  It's the traditional, less full-on British version of Carnival or Mardi Gras I think.

In my region a traditional carnival dessert are "filloas", which are sorta like French crepes, so not quite pancakes and traditionally sweet, but you get the idea.  :lol:

They are also traditional in November, at the time of the "matanza", ie traditional pig slaughtering time, but those ones are made with pig blood.  :ph34r:

Josephus

My mother used to make a prinjolata. A very, very sweet cake we had before Lent.

http://www.maltabulb.com/easy_dessert_recipe.html

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2012, 07:33:56 AM

nope, used to be traditional here too: on "Vette Dinsdag" (Mardi Gras, or the day before Ashwednesday) you ate pancakes (though I'm not sure if it's the american or 'french' version since crepes are the normal version here. Though they're called "pannenkoeken", pancakes here.)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 23, 2012, 10:12:49 AM
nope, used to be traditional here too: on "Vette Dinsdag" (Mardi Gras, or the day before Ashwednesday) you ate pancakes (though I'm not sure if it's the american or 'french' version since crepes are the normal version here. Though they're called "pannenkoeken", pancakes here.)
British pancakes are much the same as Dutch ones I think.  American pancakes are called Scotch pancakes here and are common for breakfast in Scotland.  The pancakes we have on Shrove Tuesday are closer to crepes but a little bit thicker, not least because you make them at home.

QuoteIn my region a traditional carnival dessert are "filloas", which are sorta like French crepes, so not quite pancakes and traditionally sweet, but you get the idea. 
Just looked up the recipe and it's basically the same.  The British one is normally just flour, eggs, milk and a pinch of salt so you can have savoury and sweet.  Is that Galician or all over Spain?

Also what do you do with the blood?  I'm imagining like large thin slices of black pudding :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 23, 2012, 10:20:02 AM
QuoteIn my region a traditional carnival dessert are "filloas", which are sorta like French crepes, so not quite pancakes and traditionally sweet, but you get the idea. 
Just looked up the recipe and it's basically the same.  The British one is normally just flour, eggs, milk and a pinch of salt so you can have savoury and sweet.  Is that Galician or all over Spain?

Also what do you do with the blood?  I'm imagining like large thin slices of black pudding :mmm:

It's basically Galician, although you can find them a bit around the NW of Spain.

And a "Filloa de sangue" looks like this:

It's basically the same recipe than the normal one, but with added pig blood in the mixture.