Marines posed with flag resembling Nazi SS logo in Afghanistan

Started by FunkMonk, February 09, 2012, 04:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 11, 2012, 03:25:59 AM
I see swastikas on buddhist temples all the time. No one cares, because it's not a Nazi symbol.

To be fair, nobody would care even if it was a Nazi symbol.  :contract:

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2012, 12:11:26 AM
Oh for Godsake.  I am making an obvious point here.  I know you are not dense.
You are just making shit up to justify a point that you have decided is a priori true.  You are correct that I am not the dense one here.

These guys aren't history dweebs that know about the symbology of the Waffen-SS (which ceased to exist 66 years ago).  They are just guys that made a flag using symbology that they have seen other scout sniper units use in the past.  It doesn't look anything like the SS lightning runes, frankly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

I wonder if the average Talib islamoid has heard of the SS?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on February 11, 2012, 09:36:04 AM

Possibly, but whether they have ever seen the SS rune is a better question.  I showed the picture of the Marines with the flag to my AP Euro kids and asked them if they saw anything wrong, and they didn't.  They knew what the SS was, but only one was familiar with the rune (and didn't see the resemblance in the Marine flag until I pointed it out), since it's not much of a big deal outside (perhaps) the skinhead circle and, of course, holocaust/war crimes historians and survivors/descendents of those involved on either side.

People will find things to get their panties in a wad about, though.  Such people should be grateful to these Marines for given them a chance to strut their stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2012, 08:56:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2012, 12:11:26 AM
Oh for Godsake.  I am making an obvious point here.  I know you are not dense.
You are just making shit up to justify a point that you have decided is a priori true.  You are correct that I am not the dense one here.

These guys aren't history dweebs that know about the symbology of the Waffen-SS (which ceased to exist 66 years ago).  They are just guys that made a flag using symbology that they have seen other scout sniper units use in the past.  It doesn't look anything like the SS lightning runes, frankly.

Which other scout snipers used it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Of course. What you think? They live in caves?

---oh wait...They do, don' t they?

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on February 11, 2012, 12:16:13 PM

Of course. What you think? They live in caves?

---oh wait...They do, don' t they?
:lol:

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

For the record, I wasnt personally offended either, except by sheer stupidity.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2012, 11:29:06 AMSuch people should be grateful to these Marines for given them a chance to strut their stuff.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on February 11, 2012, 11:29:06 AM

Possibly, but whether they have ever seen the SS rune is a better question.  I showed the picture of the Marines with the flag to my AP Euro kids and asked them if they saw anything wrong, and they didn't.  They knew what the SS was, but only one was familiar with the rune (and didn't see the resemblance in the Marine flag until I pointed it out), since it's not much of a big deal outside (perhaps) the skinhead circle and, of course, holocaust/war crimes historians and survivors/descendents of those involved on either side.

People will find things to get their panties in a wad about, though.  Such people should be grateful to these Marines for given them a chance to strut their stuff.

What do you find to get your panties in a wad about?