Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

mongers

Quote from: Neil on February 10, 2012, 08:52:28 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 08:47:04 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 09, 2012, 09:49:04 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 09, 2012, 05:48:53 PM
I can imagine that a lot of people who are not into history (that's at least 95% of the population) don't know what the flag means. 
Yep. Soldiers aren't known for being the brightest bunch.
Neither are you. Here you are calling "Marines", soldiers. You aren't too bright are you?

One more time for the slow people in regards to the US military:

Marines=Marines
Soldiers=Army
Irrelevant.  Marines are a subset of the group 'soldier'.

Trying to push some weird military verbage on sensible people is unacceptable.

I'll agree and not agree.

A better question would be, are they infantry ?  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

I can imagine that a lot of people who are not into history (that's at least 95% of the population) don't know what the flag means. 
Neither are you. Here you are calling "Marines", soldiers. You aren't too bright are you?

Marines=Marines
Soldiers=Army

Naw, your still F'ed up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2012, 09:33:17 PM

Marines=Marines
Soldiers=Army

I'll agree and not agree.

A better question would be, are they infantry ?  :D

The SS...ooops Scout Snipers, usually are I believe. A reqiurement I think.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

It's worse when Navy folk get butthurt about their "ship" being called a "boat".  :P

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2012, 09:44:50 PM
It's worse when Navy folk get butthurt about their "ship" being called a "boat".  :P

Or the Coast Guard....Puddle Pirates

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on February 10, 2012, 09:43:33 PM

The SS...ooops Scout Snipers, usually are I believe. A reqiurement I think.

Yeah its a bit odd we haven't had Seigy around to make a comment on this, not because of the nazi stuff, but it would be nice/amusing to hear some inter-service rivalry about who are the better snipers etc.    :D

Incidentally British Royal Marines, who are commandos, iirc do quite a bit of the sniper training for other UK forces, I think.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2012, 09:48:23 PM
Incidentally British Royal Marines, who are commandos, iirc do quite a bit of the sniper training for other UK forces, I think.

Too bad they can't leave the island, what with no navy and all.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2012, 09:51:39 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 10, 2012, 09:48:23 PM

Too bad they can't leave the island, what with no navy and all.

:D

Actually I think you'll find the 'Task Force' set sail yesterday, all two of them.  :Embarrass:

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:37:54 AM
Not the same thing at all, since if I saw a bunch of people using a Nazi salute, I would be pretty certain that they were using that salute *because* it was the Nazi salute, rather than it simply being a coincidence.

You mean like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_American_flag_with_the_Bellamy_salute.jpg

[Board won't imbed images for some reason]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2012, 09:58:38 AM
There is nothing coincidental about it.  As you said it is an attempt to be badass and hardcore by associating with some badass hardcore dudes like the Waffen SS.  It is a homage to the SS and how awesome they were for godsake that is the intention.  It is pretty funny.  But come on dude you have to have "panties" and be fucking "sensitive" to be offended by the SS?  What.  The.  Fuck?

You are taking 'outrage at PC' to stupid new levels.  The Marines did this precisely to be hardcore and shock people for fucksake.  At least give them their due.
:bleeding:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Oh, you were the one who said "Homage".  Berkut kept attributing that to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Josephus on February 10, 2012, 10:10:37 AM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2012, 09:42:51 AM
Quote from: PDH on February 10, 2012, 09:36:44 AM
The problem with symbols is that they have cultural meaning, Berk.  In this case, while your qualifier "forever" makes the answer no, the presence the runic double S has meaning that does indeed resonate.

Good point, but my point is that one should not be offended or concerned about the meaning behind a symbol unless there is some good reason to think the person(s) using the symbol actually intend for it to reflect that meaning. KISS using the runic S font is not an issue because nobody really thinks that they are trying to emulate the Nazi SS, even if they symbol in question shares some coincidental similarity.

How is this any different? Do people think they actually were trying to re-create the Nazi SS symbol? Because they did a piss poor job if they were - it is the wrong color, wrong spacing, and has none of the typical iconography that goes with the SS.

I am not surprised that this gets used just like I am not surprised that there are birthers in the world. But I am not going to agree with them.

So you're saying that if a political party uses a blue swastika, on a green background....it's OK, because it's nothing like the Nazi black on red?
I see swastikas on buddhist temples all the time. No one cares, because it's not a Nazi symbol.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point