State Department sets a cost to renouncing citizenship- $450

Started by Lettow77, February 03, 2012, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2012, 12:45:20 AM
Outside of raging warzones, I don't think the US has a particular edge at protecting its citizens abroad compared to most other Western countries.

Plenty of missionaries would agree with you if they weren't already dead.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2012, 12:43:39 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2012, 11:30:07 AM
Grabon, your schtick about San Francisco/NY/US is great and everybody else sucks is getting pretty tired.

Should he at some point achieve a wider experience of the world you can rest assured that whatever that is will be elevated to exalted status as well. The thing is, the lad has only done so much that could be pegged as mildly interesting in his life - lived in a couple of cool big cities and gone to a prestigious school. Clearly he has a need to be smugly superior (and I'm pretty good at identifying that sort of thing) and that's all he has to hang it on.

Give it time and there'll be more added to the schtick.

I thought he did a spell in London.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2012, 07:46:32 AM
I thought he did a spell in London.

Impossible. An American Patriot would never step foot in the UK!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I'm the guy who hates the brits. ick. A grubby little people.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2012, 05:35:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2012, 04:21:58 PM
I know - I hate to think of myself as living south of 60. :weep:

Shouldn't that tear freeze solid on the way down?

That's the problem.  It was above freezing this last weekend. :weep:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valdemar

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 11:27:15 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2012, 11:22:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 10:21:09 AM
I think I'd be shocked to if someone chose citizenship from a do-nothing country over that of the US.
That's because you're stupid.  What good does the status of the US as a superpower do for the average citizen, especially a dual citizen living abroad?

We're a bit better at protecting our citizens who weren't caught in the commission of a crime. More muscle and what not.  And then of course, there is the free access to the country.

Ah, but as a general rule Danes get that as well ;), no restrictions on access, especially not back then (this was the 80s)

V

Josephus

You (Americans) still have it better than us (CAnadians). We have to renew our passports every five years (I think it's 10 for you), and each time it's close to $100.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2012, 10:03:48 AM
You (Americans) still have it better than us (CAnadians). We have to renew our passports every five years (I think it's 10 for you), and each time it's close to $100.

Yeah but you get to go to Cuba.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2012, 10:06:26 AM
Quote from: Josephus on February 07, 2012, 10:03:48 AM

Yeah but you get to go to Cuba.

3 more weeks. :-)

PS...You can still get to Cuba. I've met Americans there. You just have to fly from Canada or Mexico. The Cubans won't stamp your passport if you ask them not to.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Valdemar on February 07, 2012, 09:52:10 AM
Ah, but as a general rule Danes get that as well ;), no restrictions on access

V

I doubt that. Non-citizens can't just remain in most any country without applying for permanent residence or some such. Or unless you're low enough on the radar to remain illegally. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2012, 10:59:50 AM

V

I doubt that. Non-citizens can't just remain in most any country without applying for permanent residence or some such. Or unless you're low enough on the radar to remain illegally. -_-

Ah, but that wasn't what you said :) you used entry as example, not residence, almost no limitations on entry, and visa for such freedom loving folks as us has never been tha hard, not even long term ones :)

garbon

Quote from: Valdemar on February 07, 2012, 12:05:50 PM

V

Ah, but that wasn't what you said :) you used entry as example, not residence, almost no limitations on entry, and visa for such freedom loving folks as us has never been tha hard, not even long term ones :)

It is what I meant though. Unencumbered entry doesn't mean much if you still have to get your ass out within a certain period of time.

Neil

I suppose that could be disadvantageous if you wanted to stay in the US.  But First World people generally find that the US is a nice place to visit, but that they wouldn't want to live there.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valdemar on February 07, 2012, 12:05:50 PM

V

Whatever happened to publicly subsidized prostitute services?  That was pretty much the greatest, kindest act of any government ever.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)