State Department sets a cost to renouncing citizenship- $450

Started by Lettow77, February 03, 2012, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Ideologue on February 05, 2012, 02:59:03 AM
You realize, of course, that we don't really need infantry.  Our deployment of such is just the handicap we give Third World countries when we invade them.  You're basically the equivalent of a house rule that keeps it from being too one-sided.

You are mistaken.
No matter what you do, you need to take, control, and hold the ground.
Guess who you need for this?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on February 05, 2012, 03:07:27 AM
You realize, of course, that we don't really need infantry.  Our deployment of such is just the handicap we give Third World countries when we invade them.  You're basically the equivalent of a house rule that keeps it from being too one-sided.

You are mistaken.

Housekeeping.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Neil

You are mistaken.
No you don't.  All that nonsense can be cleared up by proper technology and atomics.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

You are mistaken.

Police; bioweapons scientists; neutron bomb engineers; drones.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on February 05, 2012, 03:05:44 PM

You are mistaken.

Police; bioweapons scientists; neutron bomb engineers; drones.

You have drones twice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valdemar

My uncle (now long gone) was born in Boston, as was my mother. For some reason he had dual citizenship (while she hasn't, but I guess she could if she would) and after a few years of doing business in the US he hit some sort of roof that would make him elligble for double taxation.

So, to avoid the hassle he asked the embassy if he could renounce his US citizenship and thus be a forreigner working in the US whenever needed. Sure, no problem, was the reply. Are you sure? Yes, yes indeed, as long as you apply for the right visa next time you come working, then no problem. So he renounced his citizenship.

What happened? First time he stepped into JFK it pooped up on their screen he had renounced and he was instantly detained for 2 hours having to explain why he had denounced. Certainly everyone in the whole wide world was craving, needing, dying to get, a citizenship, so he MUST have a ulterior, and sinister, motive for renouncing, ultimately something to do with not being elligble to be persecuted or something.

My uncle, being a rather good, and high powered, lawyer made immigration see the error of their weays and nothing more came of it, but the sheer incredulity of the imigration that anyone would voluntarily give up US rights was beyond them :D

V

garbon

I think I'd be shocked to if someone chose citizenship from a do-nothing country over that of the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

You are mistaken.

Marines?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 10:21:09 AM
I think I'd be shocked to if someone chose citizenship from a do-nothing country over that of the US.
That's because you're stupid.  What good does the status of the US as a superpower do for the average citizen, especially a dual citizen living abroad?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2012, 11:22:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 10:21:09 AM
That's because you're stupid.  What good does the status of the US as a superpower do for the average citizen, especially a dual citizen living abroad?

We're a bit better at protecting our citizens who weren't caught in the commission of a crime. More muscle and what not.  And then of course, there is the free access to the country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Grabon, your schtick about San Francisco/NY/US is great and everybody else sucks is getting pretty tired.