State Department sets a cost to renouncing citizenship- $450

Started by Lettow77, February 03, 2012, 11:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2012, 11:30:07 AM
Grabon, your schtick about San Francisco/NY/US is great and everybody else sucks is getting pretty tired.

Clearly I'm not the only one who would find it odd to give up American citizenship. That was at the heart of V's story that all the immigration agents found it odd.

That said, I find the inclusion of the US funny considering that all my early years here I disliked the whole of America. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 11:39:48 AM
Grabon, your schtick about San Francisco/NY/US is great and everybody else sucks is getting pretty tired.
Clearly I'm not the only one who would find it odd to give up American citizenship. That was at the heart of V's story that all the immigration agents found it odd.

That said, I find the inclusion of the US funny considering that all my early years here I disliked the whole of America. :D
Yeah, but immigration agents are retarded.  Your not supposed to be, unless your Martinusism is finally starting to express itself.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 11:27:15 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2012, 11:22:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 10:21:09 AM
I think I'd be shocked to if someone chose citizenship from a do-nothing country over that of the US.
That's because you're stupid.  What good does the status of the US as a superpower do for the average citizen, especially a dual citizen living abroad?
We're a bit better at protecting our citizens who weren't caught in the commission of a crime. More muscle and what not.  And then of course, there is the free access to the country.
You guys really aren't that good at it though.  Look at all those truck drivers who got their heads sawed off in Iraq.

Free access to the country doesn't really do your average dual citizen much good, especially when it comes with your punishing taxation regime.  Especially for someone with EU-area citizenship, the US doesn't really have much to offer.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2012, 01:04:24 PM
You guys really aren't that good at it though.  Look at all those truck drivers who got their heads sawed off in Iraq.

I'm not really sure a warzone is a great example. No citizenship would help you there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Siege on February 05, 2012, 03:50:26 AM
blah blah. I still ain't talking to you.
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2012, 09:33:17 AM
I ain't talking to you, either.

And yet here the posts are....

regarding the thread topic.. I'm pretty sure that the cost is much reduced from the figure as of 1863 for renouncing ones citizenship.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Did we plunge Singapore into a blackout in its deadly 50 degree winters when they caned that guy for spitting on a sidewalk or something?  No.

We should bring extraterritoriality back.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

QFT.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Ain't no fucking schticks getting tired. I won't have it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I still enjoy Garbon's schtick.  I can play off his East Coast elitism.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 03:37:40 PM

It is dreadful to think of myself as someone from/living on the East Coast. :weep:

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 03:41:06 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2012, 03:37:40 PM

It is dreadful to think of myself as someone from/living on the East Coast. :weep:

I know - I hate to think of myself as living south of 60. :weep:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2012, 04:21:58 PM
I know - I hate to think of myself as living south of 60. :weep:

Shouldn't that tear freeze solid on the way down?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Should he at some point achieve a wider experience of the world you can rest assured that whatever that is will be elevated to exalted status as well. The thing is, the lad has only done so much that could be pegged as mildly interesting in his life - lived in a couple of cool big cities and gone to a prestigious school. Clearly he has a need to be smugly superior (and I'm pretty good at identifying that sort of thing) and that's all he has to hang it on.

Give it time and there'll be more added to the schtick.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2012, 01:23:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2012, 01:04:24 PM

I'm not really sure a warzone is a great example. No citizenship would help you there.

Outside of raging warzones, I don't think the US has a particular edge at protecting its citizens abroad compared to most other Western countries.