Crushing unemployment among the young people in the EU

Started by Martinus, February 01, 2012, 04:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I would never hire a homo, nor allow one to be hired by a subordinate.  They are incapable of thinking or working.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 06:08:02 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2012, 06:06:17 PM
You said that you automatically toss the resumes of people with military service record.  That's a clear-cut violation of the federal law concerning employment discrimination in US.

I repeat - how that differs from what EdAnger said? Seriously, go fuck yourself. I was responding in kind to an equally ridiculous statement from EdAnger - I am not going now to explain myself to some idiot who can't take a joke.
Ed Anger discriminated for veterans, not against them.  And age discrimination is illegal only on the old side.  That's the difference.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2012, 06:09:14 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 06:08:02 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2012, 06:06:17 PM
You said that you automatically toss the resumes of people with military service record.  That's a clear-cut violation of the federal law concerning employment discrimination in US.

I repeat - how that differs from what EdAnger said? Seriously, go fuck yourself. I was responding in kind to an equally ridiculous statement from EdAnger - I am not going now to explain myself to some idiot who can't take a joke.
Ed Anger discriminated for veterans, not against them.  And age discrimination is illegal only on the old side.  That's the difference.

This is discrimination either way. As I said, your law is fucked up if it allows to discriminate by refusing to hire people without military service record (in genera - I am not talking about jobs where this might be relevant, such as security guards).

Besides, if you have 100 cvs and are supposed to pick 5 people to invite for an interview, you want to pick creme de la creme. People who do military service usually are people with some fucked up priorities and no clear path ahead of them (if they subsequently seek a job of a lawyer) so you discard such losers just as you would discard someone who spent 5 years backpacking in Tibet.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on February 01, 2012, 06:08:04 PM
I would never hire a homo, nor allow one to be hired by a subordinate.  They are incapable of thinking or working.

Thankfully you are not in any position to decide either way.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

QuoteThat's largely responsible but not the only reason. For example in my line of work people are more frequently hired on the basis of consultancy agreements (that are easier to terminate) but still you see the same phenomenon - that's because it pays off more for firms to keep experienced, older workers than to hire and train new people.

And because of the crisis, from 2008 firms almost stopped hiring new people, which result in the growing unemployment. More worrisome, even during the temporary pick up of 2011, firms would prefer to hire fresh graduates than people who graduated in, say, 2008 and haven't worked since then - now that 2012 looks a bit bleaker again, they stopped hiring again. So you are going eventually to end up with this "lost generation" of people who have not worked since 2008 or so - I wonder how the societies are going to deal with this problem eventually. @/quote]
Exactly the problem Japan has been having over the past 2 decades. Its a major issue here about graduates missing their train and being stuck in a life of
temporary employment, often well below their skill level.

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 01, 2012, 11:37:18 AM
Its those inflexible labour markets that you keep on hearing about in action. The converse is that surprisingly few established workers have lost their jobs (speaking for the UK, there are probably as many stories as countries).

The problem for an unemployed young person in the UK is how to keep busy during the downturn so that a life of unemployment is avoided. Tyr going off to Japan is part of that tradition, during the early 80s many of my friends taught English in the Sudan, kids have it easy these days  :P

The Sudan? :blink:
Wow.
That is...mental.
I wonder, did these friends manage to integrate back into polite society or were they doomed to be forever teachers?

Though yes, I have it too easy, Japan has been tamed and there's an established pattern of foreign teachers here. Wish I'd came in the 80s instead when the land was still new (and exciting).

I think I'm following more in the Auf Wiedershen tradition myself :geordie: 
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 06:16:20 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 01, 2012, 06:08:04 PM

Thankfully you are not in any position to decide either way.

How is that different from throwing out the ex-military and "gun people"?  :wacko:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

And for Mart, We get tax credits for hiring vets.

QuoteCompanies can claim a credit against taxes owed of as much as $5,600 for hiring veterans, and as much as $9,600 for hiring veterans with service-connected disabilities, if the veteran has been looking for work for six months or longer.

The new law also provides as much as $2,400 for hiring a veteran who has been looking for work for one to six months.

Plus, you get some logistic REMF that knows his/her shit, and they make wonderful SCM consultants for military work.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 06:15:24 PM
Besides, if you have 100 cvs and are supposed to pick 5 people to invite for an interview, you want to pick creme de la creme. People who do military service usually are people with some fucked up priorities and no clear path ahead of them (if they subsequently seek a job of a lawyer) so you discard such losers just as you would discard someone who spent 5 years backpacking in Tibet.
what would be the difference between a military lawyer with 5 years or experience and a district attorney/crown prosecutor with 5 years of experience, all other things being equal? Why is working for one branch of the government reprehensible, gets you qualified as a loser but not the other one?

Would it be better to work 5 years for a private firm as low ranking lawyer and spending most of your paycheck on drugs and booze while you figure out your priorities in life?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 05:51:18 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on February 01, 2012, 05:44:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2012, 05:21:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 04:15:57 PM
And because of the crisis, from 2008 firms almost stopped hiring new people, which result in the growing unemployment. More worrisome, even during the temporary pick up of 2011, firms would prefer to hire fresh graduates than people who graduated in, say, 2008 and haven't worked since then - now that 2012 looks a bit bleaker again, they stopped hiring again. So you are going eventually to end up with this "lost generation" of people who have not worked since 2008 or so - I wonder how the societies are going to deal with this problem eventually.

They were saying that exact same thing in Canada in around '92, '93.  Everyone managed to find jobs eventually.

I don't know about that. There are two very scary things about this crisis: first, it's been far longer than the 93 crisis and doesn't seem it is going to get better at all anytime soon. In fact we're going straight down again. Second, in this country it comes right after a housing bubble during which many young men were encouraged to drop out from school by the inflated salaries in construction. So we have lots of <30 yo kids with no useful schooling or experience. Where are they going to find a job, especially when they are competing with over 5 million immigrants?

I don't know to what extent this is different from previous recessions, but there is a rather consistent theme to this one that gets repeated, in different variations, in most places: young people were told they need to do XYZ by older people and this prove to be wrong and now they are getting told it was their (wrong) choice to do XYZ so they have noone but themselves to blame.

So there is a distinct intra-generational conflict in this one and I wonder how this will play out.

The solution is for the younger generation to rise up against the older generation. Once everyone over 40 or so has forcibly been retired, there will be plenty of job opportunities for younger people. :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Ideologue

Retired like not working, or retired like in Blade Runner?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 06:15:24 PM
This is discrimination either way. As I said, your law is fucked up if it allows to discriminate by refusing to hire people without military service record (in genera - I am not talking about jobs where this might be relevant, such as security guards).

I wouldn't hire ex-military to be a security guard, especially Army/Marines....those fuckers take anything that isn't nailed down.

Our classroom's dry-erase markers and printer paper must be defended to the death.  :mad:

Richard Hakluyt

@Tyr - when they got back there was a substantial, but short-lived, boom. Suddenly they were employable and converted themselves into IT people, accountants, a graphic designer and, of course, teachers. Its all supply and demand and most of them had pretty good degrees from good universities. But the best thing is to enter the job market at the right time, which is not really a matter of choice  :(

This current depression is turning into the worst one I have seen, worse than the 1980s I think. The only redeeming feature is that we are much richer than those days so there is less absolute destitution.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Ideologue on February 02, 2012, 01:07:21 AM
Retired like not working, or retired like in Blade Runner?

The latter saves money. We'll charge them for the bullet.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

The HK job market is no where near as bad, but we still have a lot of problems.  University graduates are almost guranteed to have jobs.  The problem is that a lot of those jobs are shitty ones, and that the job market for high school graduates is even worse.  You either get a professional/office position, or you get a fast food/restaurant/cleansing/sales/security job.  There is not much in between.  You either make it or you are doomed.