Crushing unemployment among the young people in the EU

Started by Martinus, February 01, 2012, 04:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2012, 04:21:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2012, 09:31:37 AM
Niemcy?  WTF?
In Russian, "Niemcy" means Germans.  But actual Germany as a country is "Germania".

In Polish, "Niemcy" means both Germans and Germany. The adjective "German" is "Niemiecki/a/ie"

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 04:17:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 04:14:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2012, 09:31:37 AM
Niemcy?  WTF?

Slavic term for Germans.  Means something like "foreigner" or "mute"  Similar to the Germanic root "Walla", which can be found in Wales, Waloons, Walachia.

Yeah, it means something like "mute" or "not of the speech". Since Slavic languages are similar and broadly understandable to each other, Germans were the first people Slavs met who spoke some gibberish. :P

Interestingly it would seem your word for Italy has the same Germanic root found in Wales and Walloonia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 01, 2012, 04:17:33 PM
24 and under. 25 seems to be the age in which the fucknuts snap out of their stupid shit, buckle down and grow the fuck up.

Are there really that many 24 year old veterans?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2012, 04:31:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 01, 2012, 04:17:33 PM
24 and under. 25 seems to be the age in which the fucknuts snap out of their stupid shit, buckle down and grow the fuck up.

Are there really that many 24 year old veterans?

I think there is a 3 year hitch for the Navy. Or was.  Point is, Vets get a pass in my book. Unless I think you dropped a carcass down a well somewhere.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2012, 09:51:09 AM
Granted we have pretty bad youth unemployment in the US as well but here the freaking Baby Boomers seem determined to work until they drop over dead.
Not me! I'm going to retire as soon as I can!  :cool:

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 04:15:57 PM
And because of the crisis, from 2008 firms almost stopped hiring new people, which result in the growing unemployment. More worrisome, even during the temporary pick up of 2011, firms would prefer to hire fresh graduates than people who graduated in, say, 2008 and haven't worked since then - now that 2012 looks a bit bleaker again, they stopped hiring again. So you are going eventually to end up with this "lost generation" of people who have not worked since 2008 or so - I wonder how the societies are going to deal with this problem eventually.

They were saying that exact same thing in Canada in around '92, '93.  Everyone managed to find jobs eventually.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 01, 2012, 04:11:19 PM
I don't hire young people. Unless they are veterans.

Any cv suggesting any links to the military, guns, and the like lands in the dust bin, whenever I'm doing recruitment.

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2012, 05:21:47 PM
And because of the crisis, from 2008 firms almost stopped hiring new people, which result in the growing unemployment. More worrisome, even during the temporary pick up of 2011, firms would prefer to hire fresh graduates than people who graduated in, say, 2008 and haven't worked since then - now that 2012 looks a bit bleaker again, they stopped hiring again. So you are going eventually to end up with this "lost generation" of people who have not worked since 2008 or so - I wonder how the societies are going to deal with this problem eventually.

They were saying that exact same thing in Canada in around '92, '93.  Everyone managed to find jobs eventually.

I don't know about that. There are two very scary things about this crisis: first, it's been far longer than the 93 crisis and doesn't seem it is going to get better at all anytime soon. In fact we're going straight down again. Second, in this country it comes right after a housing bubble during which many young men were encouraged to drop out from school by the inflated salaries in construction. So we have lots of <30 yo kids with no useful schooling or experience. Where are they going to find a job, especially when they are competing with over 5 million immigrants?

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on February 01, 2012, 05:44:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2012, 05:21:47 PM

I don't know about that. There are two very scary things about this crisis: first, it's been far longer than the 93 crisis and doesn't seem it is going to get better at all anytime soon. In fact we're going straight down again. Second, in this country it comes right after a housing bubble during which many young men were encouraged to drop out from school by the inflated salaries in construction. So we have lots of <30 yo kids with no useful schooling or experience. Where are they going to find a job, especially when they are competing with over 5 million immigrants?

I don't know to what extent this is different from previous recessions, but there is a rather consistent theme to this one that gets repeated, in different variations, in most places: young people were told they need to do XYZ by older people and this prove to be wrong and now they are getting told it was their (wrong) choice to do XYZ so they have noone but themselves to blame.

So there is a distinct intra-generational conflict in this one and I wonder how this will play out.

Iormlund

I'm pretty sure most older people told them to study. But the chance of making twice as much as university graduate is hard to pass up for a 16yo.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 05:40:32 PM

Any cv suggesting any links to the military, guns, and the like lands in the dust bin, whenever I'm doing recruitment.
Don't they have employment laws in Poland?  Doing something like this in US is illegal and could land the employer in trouble.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2012, 06:01:02 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2012, 05:40:32 PM

Don't they have employment laws in Poland?  Doing something like this in US is illegal and could land the employer in trouble.

First of all, lawyers are employed on consultancy contracts, not on employment ones. Moreover, I fail to see how this would be illegal - people write these cvs for a reason - to give an employer an idea about the kind of a person they are. People with interest in guns etc. are nuts and troublemakers. How the fuck did you not comment in any way on what Ed Anger said - that he wouldn't hire young people unless they were veterans - and this is something you object to?

DGuller

You said that you automatically toss the resumes of people with military service record.  That's a clear-cut violation of the federal law concerning employment discrimination in US.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2012, 06:06:17 PM
You said that you automatically toss the resumes of people with military service record.  That's a clear-cut violation of the federal law concerning employment discrimination in US.

I repeat - how that differs from what EdAnger said? Seriously, go fuck yourself. I was responding in kind to an equally ridiculous statement from EdAnger - I am not going now to explain myself to some idiot who can't take a joke.

Unless you are implying that you can say you only hire people with military service record, but you cannot say that you only hire people without military service record - in which case your law is more fucked up than I thought it was.