Crushing unemployment among the young people in the EU

Started by Martinus, February 01, 2012, 04:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Clearly Europe needs to invest in developing their oil sands. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2012, 09:44:15 AM
That is just crazy.  How the F does that happen?

There is an aging population with smaller cadres coming of age behind them combined with early retirement ages...so the number of jobs must be collapsing at really fast rate for this to happen.  I mean when people retire do they just cut the job and move forward?  Does Europe just not require workers at all?

There's another factor affecting youth unemployment: two-tiered systems, where older workers are impossible to get rid of while new employees are very cheap (often free) to fire. So when the downturn comes older, less productive workers are kept and young employees get the axe.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

Its those inflexible labour markets that you keep on hearing about in action. The converse is that surprisingly few established workers have lost their jobs (speaking for the UK, there are probably as many stories as countries).

The problem for an unemployed young person in the UK is how to keep busy during the downturn so that a life of unemployment is avoided. Tyr going off to Japan is part of that tradition, during the early 80s many of my friends taught English in the Sudan, kids have it easy these days  :P

derspiess

The solution is to make it even more difficult to fire or lay off older workers.  If they sat in that chair for 15 years, it should be guaranteed to them regardless of performance :)

edit: shit, I should have read page 2 before I posted my smartass yet insightful remark  :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

szmik

black/grey market is what keeps European economy afloat  :secret:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Iormlund

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 01, 2012, 11:32:16 AM
Wait, this does NOT include students? Wow.

And the definition of 'students' is very broad. Here it includes, for example, those that are participating in one of the myriad recycling courses offered through the unemployment office or various unions/employer associations. And that's only one way of cooking the numbers.

So reality is actually worse than these figures.

Ideologue

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 01, 2012, 11:37:18 AM
Its those inflexible labour markets that you keep on hearing about in action. The converse is that surprisingly few established workers have lost their jobs (speaking for the UK, there are probably as many stories as countries).

The problem for an unemployed young person in the UK is how to keep busy during the downturn so that a life of unemployment is avoided.

Is "terrorist" an occupation, or just does it only count as volunteer work?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I don't hire young people. Unless they are veterans.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2012, 09:31:37 AM
Niemcy?  WTF?

Slavic term for Germans.  Means something like "foreigner" or "mute"  Similar to the Germanic root "Walla", which can be found in Wales, Waloons, Walachia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on February 01, 2012, 10:01:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2012, 09:44:15 AM
That is just crazy.  How the F does that happen?

There is an aging population with smaller cadres coming of age behind them combined with early retirement ages...so the number of jobs must be collapsing at really fast rate for this to happen.  I mean when people retire do they just cut the job and move forward?  Does Europe just not require workers at all?

There's another factor affecting youth unemployment: two-tiered systems, where older workers are impossible to get rid of while new employees are very cheap (often free) to fire. So when the downturn comes older, less productive workers are kept and young employees get the axe.

That's largely responsible but not the only reason. For example in my line of work people are more frequently hired on the basis of consultancy agreements (that are easier to terminate) but still you see the same phenomenon - that's because it pays off more for firms to keep experienced, older workers than to hire and train new people.

And because of the crisis, from 2008 firms almost stopped hiring new people, which result in the growing unemployment. More worrisome, even during the temporary pick up of 2011, firms would prefer to hire fresh graduates than people who graduated in, say, 2008 and haven't worked since then - now that 2012 looks a bit bleaker again, they stopped hiring again. So you are going eventually to end up with this "lost generation" of people who have not worked since 2008 or so - I wonder how the societies are going to deal with this problem eventually.

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on February 01, 2012, 04:14:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 01, 2012, 04:11:19 PM
I don't hire young people. Unless they are veterans.
What do you consider young?

24 and under. 25 seems to be the age in which the fucknuts snap out of their stupid shit, buckle down and grow the fuck up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2012, 04:14:38 PM
Niemcy?  WTF?

Slavic term for Germans.  Means something like "foreigner" or "mute"  Similar to the Germanic root "Walla", which can be found in Wales, Waloons, Walachia.

Yeah, it means something like "mute" or "not of the speech". Since Slavic languages are similar and broadly understandable to each other, Germans were the first people Slavs met who spoke some gibberish. :P

DGuller

Niemcy?  WTF?
In Russian, "Niemcy" means Germans.  But actual Germany as a country is "Germania".