News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Actually, how do the Chinese view Americans in their country?  How does the government?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2012, 08:54:31 PM
Actually, how do the Chinese view Americans in their country?  How does the government?

There are plenty of Americans and westerners living in China.  It is nothing special.  They teach English, work in international companies, and spend money.  That's all good for the place.  One thing about the Chinese government is that they are very suspicious of NGOs.  If you work for Goldman Sachs, that's fine.  Greenpeace?  Not so much. 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2012, 09:09:21 PM
Greenpeace?  Not so much.

Nobody likes those bastards. French dealt with them the best.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2012, 08:40:44 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2012, 11:47:15 AM

He could join the Hong Kong public administration, managed by mono.

There is the small matter of his Chinese proficiency which he has neglected to mention so far.  That includes written Chinese, spoken Cantonese and spoken Mandarin BTW.  If he manages these, there is the issue of legal HK residency status, which as a foreigner he will obtain by proving that he has lived here for 7 years.  Assuming that he has that, he still has to err pass the background and security checks and I do recall his DUI conviction.  If he gets that out of the way, it is only a matter of passing 5 examinations and 3 interviews when competing with 30,000 other local graduates.

No prob.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2012, 12:16:27 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2012, 10:01:25 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 05:26:50 AM
2)Some of the things by necessity either involve waiting till I can save up the cash--I am not joking, not exaggerating, not putting on a show when I say I barely have enough for my current obligations.  And maybe a few hundred dollars is no big deal to you guys, but it's not something I can pull out of my wallet on a whim.  I actually wrote a whole thing before I realized that my personal finances are none of your business.  Let it be enough that I say ~$300 is a big deal for me.

Credit cards are not just for buying giant TVs at walmart on Black friday, you know.

From what he pointed out earlier (the length of time unemployed), I'd guess they are mostly maxed out / during that period of time when he says he thought it likely they'd go with someone else, doesn't make sense to take on more debt that you can't afford.

Yeah, Discover reduced my limit from $8000 to $500, Chase didn't renew my card when it expired, HSBC actually rescinded my card (after I paid it off in full :rolleyes: ), and the only significant-balance line of credit I have left is maxed plus one dollar and expires at the end of February, and I have not so far received a replacement.

Passport in and expedited, and I bought a mike and webcam ( <_< ) to talk to the coordinator.  I need to email her back in the next few and let her know that talking at 9 p.m. isn't possible till Friday, since I won't be home till 9:30 at the earliest (9-9 tomorrow, 2:30-9 Wednesday, 9-9 Thursday :bleeding: , off Friday :) ), but anything later, like I suggested to begin with, is A-OK.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2012, 08:44:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 10:05:02 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on February 20, 2012, 07:59:56 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 20, 2012, 05:02:01 AM
Cool, whereabouts are you?

I'm in Shenzhen, teaching at an international private school.  I love my job and I get 14 weeks paid vacation a year.   :lol:

They would probably never let me in.

Not that my opinions regarding the PRC or Chinese "traditional medicine" are openly published, but I don't think I'd be able to behave over there.

I'd wind up as a Liberation Theologian minus the collar, with sweet and sour sauce.

I am sure they can't care less what you think about traditional medicine  :lol:  The only part of China you'll have trouble getting into is Tibet.

Uh huh.  HSUS up in this motherfucker, you yellow bastards.

I'd set a chink on fire in protest. LULZ MOO GOO GAI PAN-SEARED BITCH

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 10:08:44 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2012, 08:44:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 10:05:02 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on February 20, 2012, 07:59:56 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 20, 2012, 05:02:01 AM
Cool, whereabouts are you?

I'm in Shenzhen, teaching at an international private school.  I love my job and I get 14 weeks paid vacation a year.   :lol:

They would probably never let me in.

Not that my opinions regarding the PRC or Chinese "traditional medicine" are openly published, but I don't think I'd be able to behave over there.

I'd wind up as a Liberation Theologian minus the collar, with sweet and sour sauce.

I am sure they can't care less what you think about traditional medicine  :lol:  The only part of China you'll have trouble getting into is Tibet.

Uh huh.  HSUS up in this motherfucker, you yellow bastards.

I'd set a chink on fire in protest. LULZ MOO GOO GAI PAN-SEARED BITCH

Man, moo goo gai pan is like bland in bland sauce.  And shrimp with lobster sauce looks like an abortion, but tastes worse.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2012, 09:09:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2012, 08:54:31 PM

There are plenty of Americans and westerners living in China.  It is nothing special.  They teach English, work in international companies, and spend money.  That's all good for the place.  One thing about the Chinese government is that they are very suspicious of NGOs.  If you work for Goldman Sachs, that's fine.  Greenpeace?  Not so much.

Well, it wasn't always the case.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

So is this really going to happen?  Is Ide really going off to the Wild East?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 10:33:45 AM
Ide's righteous indignation with Career Services pays a salary all its own.  :ph34r:

By the way I share Ideo's indignation with career services.  When I walked into my career services office and told them I was pulling out of all of my interviews in Winnipeg (because I had lined up a series of interviews in Calgary 100% on my own) they looked at me like I had two heads.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 09:57:31 PM

Passport in and expedited, and I bought a mike and webcam ( <_< ) to talk to the coordinator.  I need to email her back in the next few and let her know that talking at 9 p.m. isn't possible till Friday, since I won't be home till 9:30 at the earliest (9-9 tomorrow, 2:30-9 Wednesday, 9-9 Thursday :bleeding: , off Friday :) ), but anything later, like I suggested to begin with, is A-OK.
Good.

FBI check?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Richland sheriff is open Wednesday mornings to fingerprint civilians.  I'll be off then to do it.  If another PD can do it tomorrow on my break, I'll try then.

I requested a quote for transport of three cats to Jochiwon.  I'm not very sanguine about the possibility--Delta's domestic figures are like $200 an animal.  There is also the matter of acquiring the documentation proving they're safe--which is retarded, I'm sure cats in Korea are completely disease free. :rolleyes:

My sister basically refused to take care of them, even for $100 a month; she also refused to name a figure at which she would accept them.  Evidently she can't be bought, which is purely ridiculous.  I feel instead I should contract with someone for whom a $100 check every month (which means about a $50 a month profit) would matter more.  My stepsister would be ideal, but that branch of the family is allergic to cats. <_<
Kinemalogue