News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on February 21, 2012, 12:14:15 AM
So, your advice to someone who's vowed to never take another animal's life, is to commit the animals he cares more about than most humans to the tender mercies of an organization that will lock them in a cage and "try" not to kill them?

I mean, I'd drive down to Florida and release them into the wild before I took them to Katzenkonzentrationslager.  I'll do what I always do.  Turn death into a fighting chance to live.

Gator bait gotcha.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on February 21, 2012, 12:14:06 AM
If not to the Humane Society and his family won't take them, what do you want him to do garbo?

I don't know. I guess I'd try to see if there was someone to adopt them. I can't see Ide just running out to let them get killed for the sake of his career.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: katmaiGator bait gotcha.

THEY'RE FAST.

Thing is, by month 2 I should have enough money to bring them over if it's truly impossible for someone to keep them long-term.

I really hope my sister needs me to take care of a baby some day.  Sorry, sis.  No room at the inn.

Quote from: garbonI don't know. I guess I'd try to see if there was someone to adopt them. I can't see Ide just running out to let them get killed for the sake of his career.

Yeah, that's an option on the table.

Here's my choices in order of preference:

1)Have them shipped to Korea, or stack them one on top of the other, put them in a trenchcoat and sunglasses, and buy them an airline ticket.  I think this worked on Rescue Rangers, and even though they were mice and chipmunks, the principle is the same.
2)Pay a relative to keep them until I return next year, or, indefinitely, if I don't come back for a very long time.  Maintain ownership and be satisfied in that I am providing for their survival.
3)Adopt out as a single unit.  They're a family.  I might be gone, but they will have each other.
4)Adopt out individually.  They're tough.  They'll make it.  Also, they are cats.
5)Send to non-kill shelter.
6)Release into the wild, somewhere south of here, where it maintains mild temperatures year-round.  Because the world is kafkaesque and monstrous, I believe this is actually illegal, but option 7 isn't.
7)Send to kill shelter, bear guilt forever.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I guess you felt that last bit was inappropriate given your possibly new overlords? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Ideo - the thing about a shelter... is if they can't adopt out the animal, the put it to sleep painlessly.

"Giving them a fighting chance" is code words for 'well they'll get hit by a car or they'll starve to death'.

Hey - if you want to bring them to Korea, and you can, then great.  I just would hate to see that be the stumbling block that prevents you from going - if that is what you want to do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2012, 12:36:21 AM
Ideo - the thing about a shelter... is if they can't adopt out the animal, the put it to sleep painlessly.

Beebs, I get that you are trying to be kind...but really? I don't see how that would at all be comforting.  Sorry cats you had to get painlessly put to sleep because I wanted to go work outside the country. Tough breaks.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 12:40:43 AM

Beebs, I get that you are trying to be kind...but really? I don't see how that would at all be comforting.  Sorry cats you had to get painlessly put to sleep because I wanted to go work outside the country. Tough breaks.

If it is between that and "give them a fighting chance"?  No question whatsoever.  Life is harsh out there.

And not so much "because I wanted to work outside the country" and "I couldn't find a job other than outside the country".  I'd hate to see Ideo keep working at his restaurant because he was worried about his cats.

I mean - I'm a cat guy.  My cat sleeps curled up in my armpit every night and I love him.  But there's only so far I'd go for him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2012, 12:46:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 21, 2012, 12:40:43 AM

If it is between that and "give them a fighting chance"?  No question whatsoever.  Life is harsh out there.

And not so much "because I wanted to work outside the country" and "I couldn't find a job other than outside the country".  I'd hate to see Ideo keep working at his restaurant because he was worried about his cats.

I mean - I'm a cat guy.  My cat sleeps curled up in my armpit every night and I love him.  But there's only so far I'd go for him.

I think it is important to remember that other people may feel differently.

In fact, I'm not sure you are using the word 'love' appropriately in this context if 'love' means donate to the death squad when convenient.

Ideologue

Anyway, I'm tired of talking about the cats.  Suffice it to say that their welfare is of paramount importance to me.

QuoteDear [last name],

This never, ever gets old.

HUNTER IS MY FIRST NAME THE OTHER ONE IS MY LAST NAME IT'S WHY THEY'RE IN THAT ORDER.

I guess at least Koreans have an excuse, but still, c'mon.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Um...I just realized this might be a problem, but...how strict is your vegetarianism?

I've got a friend (ex navy/ex Buddhist monk) here who's a vegetarian, but it took him a long time to get a good enough handle on the language and food composition here to go back to it and he still falls off the wagon every now and again since it's pretty hard to practice it in public. Even a lot of vegetable dishes and stuff here are soaked in broths that have fish/meat juice or whatever. 

The Korean word for veterinarian literally translates to vegetable activist.

I don't think you'll be able to eat the school lunch, you'll have to bring a bag lunch with you.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Well, the actual word for what I am is eleven syllables long and still doesn't properly convey the nuances (lacto-ovo-pesco-vegetarian, but I try to only eat free-range eggs and only eat non-cephalopod sea creatures, with serious reservations about eating vertebrate sea life, i.e. fish, although I very occasionally, about three times a year, eat salmon with my dad--unfortunately I don't know if there's a prefix for "eater of non-chordates that also are not octopi, squid, or cuttlefish").

The point is, I'm not the strictest you'll ever meet, but I'm reasonably careful.

"Vegetable activist"? :lol:  Shouldn't it be the other way around? :hmm:

Anyway, my microphone works but to get the webcam working I need to buy a new SATA cable, because you can't download the drivers from HP and evidently the cable to my BD-RW etc. is broken.  That's obnoxious.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

P.S.: I don't like my speaking voice much. :(  Although my rendition of "Life On Mars" is not half bad.
Kinemalogue

Camerus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 20, 2012, 08:39:24 AM
Are they hiring?  :ph34r:

Unfortunately not anymore, and you have to be a certified teacher from my province in Canada anyway.   :P  But look for other stuff in Shenzhen if you can - I like it more than Shanghai myself, especially in the winter.  In fact, I just turned down a job in HK to stay here...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 11:31:43 PM
Richland sheriff is open Wednesday mornings to fingerprint civilians.  I'll be off then to do it.  If another PD can do it tomorrow on my break, I'll try then.

I requested a quote for transport of three cats to Jochiwon.  I'm not very sanguine about the possibility--Delta's domestic figures are like $200 an animal.  There is also the matter of acquiring the documentation proving they're safe--which is retarded, I'm sure cats in Korea are completely disease free. :rolleyes:

My sister basically refused to take care of them, even for $100 a month; she also refused to name a figure at which she would accept them.  Evidently she can't be bought, which is purely ridiculous.  I feel instead I should contract with someone for whom a $100 check every month (which means about a $50 a month profit) would matter more.  My stepsister would be ideal, but that branch of the family is allergic to cats. <_<

You do realize that you won't be able to bring them back, don't you?  US Customs will not allow it.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2012, 03:28:48 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 11:31:43 PM
Richland sheriff is open Wednesday mornings to fingerprint civilians.  I'll be off then to do it.  If another PD can do it tomorrow on my break, I'll try then.

I requested a quote for transport of three cats to Jochiwon.  I'm not very sanguine about the possibility--Delta's domestic figures are like $200 an animal.  There is also the matter of acquiring the documentation proving they're safe--which is retarded, I'm sure cats in Korea are completely disease free. :rolleyes:

My sister basically refused to take care of them, even for $100 a month; she also refused to name a figure at which she would accept them.  Evidently she can't be bought, which is purely ridiculous.  I feel instead I should contract with someone for whom a $100 check every month (which means about a $50 a month profit) would matter more.  My stepsister would be ideal, but that branch of the family is allergic to cats. <_<

You do realize that you won't be able to bring them back, don't you?  US Customs will not allow it.

I doubt that, I had a friend bring back a dog she adopted in Okinawa.  Just lots of paperwork.