News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I think Ide is understandably...less than 100% enthusiastic about this job.  He is obviously overqualified, and he is not going to use the JD that he spent so much time, effort and money getting.  When Tim first posted aboubt it, I thought Ide wouldn't take it.  Because it may diminish his chances of getting a successful legal career down the line.  But I also see that something is better than nothing. 

Camerus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 20, 2012, 05:02:01 AM
Cool, whereabouts are you?

I'm in Shenzhen, teaching at an international private school.  I love my job and I get 14 weeks paid vacation a year.   :lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 05:53:47 AM
Hey, does anyone know why do they fingerprint you for a background check?  Is it to check to see if your prints match anything from unsolved crimes or something?

Really want to know what an "FBI background check" is?  A verification of all the times and reasons you've been fingerprinted before.  Dates and jurisdictions, and sometimes the reason, including any times for licensing or other documentation.  It's usually less than half a sheet long, looks like a teletype.

In your case, it may be a sheet long.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2012, 04:58:27 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 20, 2012, 04:45:31 AM
You took the words from my mouth, Timmay is bending over backwards to hook him up with a sweet deal and he's being incredibly bitchy and difficult to work with at every step, or at least it seems so. Frankly, Ide, with that general attitude it's no wonder that you're stuck.

It was Tim's idea in the first place. Would you be ready to pack up your life and move halfway around the world in a week because somebody mentioned an idea that caught your fancy? :yeahright:

Nobody expects him to be in Korea tomorrow, the process is long and there are many things to do as Tim is saying, but he could still be a bit more forthcoming about it.

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 05:28:33 AMGuess what: we haven't been. ;)

I could guess as much.  :P

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on February 20, 2012, 07:59:56 AM

I'm in Shenzhen, teaching at an international private school.  I love my job and I get 14 weeks paid vacation a year.   :lol:

Are they hiring?  :ph34r:
I'm in Shanghai, working for EF. My school is pretty good and well-run, but understaffed. Only get 12 vacation days, not counting holidays, sadly. Fortunately, I don't have to work extra to make up the time off from holidays, and we get a few more days off around the holidays than most Chinese people.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2012, 06:19:32 AM
I think Ide is understandably...less than 100% enthusiastic about this job.  He is obviously overqualified, and he is not going to use the JD that he spent so much time, effort and money getting.  When Tim first posted aboubt it, I thought Ide wouldn't take it.  Because it may diminish his chances of getting a successful legal career down the line.  But I also see that something is better than nothing. 
Surely it would do better for his chances than working in a kitchen.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 05:26:50 AM
2)Some of the things by necessity either involve waiting till I can save up the cash--I am not joking, not exaggerating, not putting on a show when I say I barely have enough for my current obligations.  And maybe a few hundred dollars is no big deal to you guys, but it's not something I can pull out of my wallet on a whim.  I actually wrote a whole thing before I realized that my personal finances are none of your business.  Let it be enough that I say ~$300 is a big deal for me.

Credit cards are not just for buying giant TVs at walmart on Black friday, you know.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

They would probably never let me in.

Not that my opinions regarding the PRC or Chinese "traditional medicine" are openly published, but I don't think I'd be able to behave over there.

I'd wind up as a Liberation Theologian minus the collar, with sweet and sour sauce.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2012, 11:06:36 PM

I did go once, and they treated me like such scum I didn't even get to the stuff I wanted to talk to them about (whether and to what extent they believed my criminal record would impact my ability to get work, anyone they knew in a hiring position in government service--even though I think they're not supposed to do that--etc.).  Like, I was really embarrassed to talk to her, because she acted like I was a complete asshole because I didn't have any volunteer experience (yeah, because I got thrown out of the GAL program on my last training day because I had a criminal record--which I disclosed, mind) or a 1L summer internship (I think I had a 2.7 GPA my 1L year, I sucked like a sucking competition in Sucktown, and I was pretty much too depressed/aware of my chances to even try).

Ever since then I've been very avoidant of my CSO, until she sent me the employment survey, which I filled out with gusto.  She said she was sorry.  But I'm pretty sure she's just going to hit me again.

I can't speak to law, but for me coming out of school the interview process was like a side job. Between mock interviews, strategy prep for interviews, career counseling sessions, networking BS, traveling to interviews, etc. I think I missed about a third of my classes. (I did apply to about 20 jobs, even though I was really targeting about 3, with the rest being practice/fallback). I would have been lost without career services.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Ide's righteous indignation with Career Services pays a salary all its own.  :ph34r:

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2012, 09:36:41 AM
Surely it would do better for his chances than working in a kitchen.

He could join the Hong Kong public administration, managed by mono.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Yes and no. I can see how moving across the world is a big deal.  Also, there is something to be said on the emotional component of signing up for at least a year of going over there as that puts a definite halt on Ide doing something with his law degree for at least that period. And I get that as even with this restaurant job it has to feel sort of like a temp thing while one waits for an app to finally be accepted.  But yeah on the converse, new scene and the opportunity to save bank seem pretty good.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2012, 10:01:25 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 05:26:50 AM
2)Some of the things by necessity either involve waiting till I can save up the cash--I am not joking, not exaggerating, not putting on a show when I say I barely have enough for my current obligations.  And maybe a few hundred dollars is no big deal to you guys, but it's not something I can pull out of my wallet on a whim.  I actually wrote a whole thing before I realized that my personal finances are none of your business.  Let it be enough that I say ~$300 is a big deal for me.

Credit cards are not just for buying giant TVs at walmart on Black friday, you know.

From what he pointed out earlier (the length of time unemployed), I'd guess they are mostly maxed out / during that period of time when he says he thought it likely they'd go with someone else, doesn't make sense to take on more debt that you can't afford.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2012, 11:47:15 AM

He could join the Hong Kong public administration, managed by mono.

There is the small matter of his Chinese proficiency which he has neglected to mention so far.  That includes written Chinese, spoken Cantonese and spoken Mandarin BTW.  If he manages these, there is the issue of legal HK residency status, which as a foreigner he will obtain by proving that he has lived here for 7 years.  Assuming that he has that, he still has to err pass the background and security checks and I do recall his DUI conviction.  If he gets that out of the way, it is only a matter of passing 5 examinations and 3 interviews when competing with 30,000 other local graduates. 

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 10:05:02 AM

They would probably never let me in.

Not that my opinions regarding the PRC or Chinese "traditional medicine" are openly published, but I don't think I'd be able to behave over there.

I'd wind up as a Liberation Theologian minus the collar, with sweet and sour sauce.

I am sure they can't care less what you think about traditional medicine  :lol:  The only part of China you'll have trouble getting into is Tibet.