News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2012, 02:53:31 AM
My guess: Ide will go to Korea, within 3 months of arrival start bitching how crap everything is, how he fails at it/social life and how this is a total waste of his time and that it will remove him even further from meaningful and gainful employment.

You forgot the part about the fucked up girlfriend with Daddy issues he'll get all torqued up about.

Eddie Teach

Eh, Korea was very much an American girl. New girlfriend's likely to have an entirely new set of issues.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2012, 02:54:37 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 02:51:27 AM
Anyway, I wonder if my accent has actually improved since Yi met me.  Since I've been aware of it, I've been trying to minimize it, and if law school didn't do anything else, one might expect it improved my elocution.

I like to imagine your posts read by the narrator from Dukes of Hazzard.

That was none other than the great Waylon Jennings.  :mad:

Syt

I know, aka as "Ironhead Haynes" from an epic "Married With Children" episode.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 02:58:37 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 20, 2012, 02:53:31 AM
My guess: Ide will go to Korea, within 3 months of arrival start bitching how crap everything is, how he fails at it/social life and how this is a total waste of his time and that it will remove him even further from meaningful and gainful employment.

You forgot the part about the fucked up girlfriend with Daddy issues he'll get all torqued up about.

I'm on my way back to the top!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 01:34:18 AM
We should change this thread title to "Korea- Not Going".

Chocolate covered Christ, Hunter...can you be any more reticent about getting this shit done?  No wonder you're washing dishes with a fucking J.D.

Timmay's trying to hook you up, and you're just bullshitting.  Get the fucking TEFL cert, get your fucking passport, and submit your FBI check.  All it is is a fucking fingerprint check.  Do it this fucking week.

Or, have the balls to tell Timmay you're not really interested.  He's retarded, but he's a big boy, he can take it.

You took the words from my mouth, Timmay is bending over backwards to hook him up with a sweet deal and he's being incredibly bitchy and difficult to work with at every step, or at least it seems so. Frankly, Ide, with that general attitude it's no wonder that you're stuck.

Camerus

@HMB:  Yeah, I am still here.  In fact, I planning on signing a new 2 year contract this week.   :sleep:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on February 20, 2012, 04:45:31 AM
You took the words from my mouth, Timmay is bending over backwards to hook him up with a sweet deal and he's being incredibly bitchy and difficult to work with at every step, or at least it seems so. Frankly, Ide, with that general attitude it's no wonder that you're stuck.

It was Tim's idea in the first place. Would you be ready to pack up your life and move halfway around the world in a week because somebody mentioned an idea that caught your fancy? :yeahright:

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2012, 04:58:27 AM

It was Tim's idea in the first place. Would you be ready to pack up your life and move halfway around the world in a week because somebody mentioned an idea that caught your fancy? :yeahright:

Ide has been bitching for ages about working in that restaurant and being unable to get any decent job, so it doesn't come from out of the blue. If he doesn't want the teacher job, and there could be reasonable reasons for it as you mention, he should say it outright and not lead Tim on with vague statements. And I don't get why they have to discuss everything in public anyway.

HisMajestyBOB

Why not? Tim did.  ;)

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on February 20, 2012, 04:51:51 AM
@HMB:  Yeah, I am still here.  In fact, I planning on signing a new 2 year contract this week.   :sleep:

Cool, whereabouts are you?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

BTW, I'm open* to suggestions for a radical reinvention of my own life. However, I am not a "people person" and have only an Associate's degree. Any kind of teaching or sales job is right out.

*meaning I'll daydream about it for a week or two before giving up due to real and perceived difficulties.

Ideologue

If that is so, then I apologize to Tim.

I didn't mean to be difficult; if I have been it's because:

1)Yeah, it's a big step, and one I wasn't sure about at first.  But after a hundred applications get trashed, the idea that someone actually does value me, even if they're on the other side of the world, is sufficient to move me, even if there's a lot of inertia to overcome.

2)Some of the things by necessity either involve waiting till I can save up the cash--I am not joking, not exaggerating, not putting on a show when I say I barely have enough for my current obligations.  And maybe a few hundred dollars is no big deal to you guys, but it's not something I can pull out of my wallet on a whim.  I actually wrote a whole thing before I realized that my personal finances are none of your business.  Let it be enough that I say ~$300 is a big deal for me.

That said, I'm coming up with it.  I'll get my passport tomorrow.  I'll call L-1 and see if I can get my FBI check sent to the State Department (or to me, I've got to look up the procedure again) for apostillement, and if not, well, here we go again.

Okay?

3)The uncertainty of the prospect--bear in mind that there were indications that I could not get this specific gig, and the discussion for some time centered around the idea of ESL in Asia in general, and therefore I could focus on more immediate concerns, like moving out over the next few days, paying final bills, etc.; it was tonight that Tim told me that they would like to work with me instead, if they could, and I'm waiting to hear back from the coordinator.

Hopefully, this post seems less "bitchy" than the ones with our usual back-and-forth.  The accusation that I've been ungrateful stung, but if there's any truth to that, again, Tim, I'm sorry.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on February 20, 2012, 05:01:42 AM

Ide has been bitching for ages about working in that restaurant and being unable to get any decent job, so it doesn't come from out of the blue. If he doesn't want the teacher job, and there could be reasonable reasons for it as you mention, he should say it outright and not lead Tim on with vague statements. And I don't get why they have to discuss everything in public anyway.

Guess what: we haven't been. ;)
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 05:26:50 AM
2)Some of the things by necessity either
That said, I'm coming up with it.  I'll get my passport tomorrow.  I'll call L-1 and see if I can get my FBI check sent to the State Department (or to me, I've got to look up the procedure again) for apostillement, and if not, well, here we go again.

Get it sent to you. If you have it sent straight to the state department it will take ages to get done.

Have it sent to you. Then mail it to a courier in DC and have them personally bring it to the State Department. Then it'll be done in like three days instead of taking a month. Unfortunately this is another expense ($50?)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Ah, that's right. :)  You said earlier.

I think I've got to get a new one actually--the FBI say to have it apostilled it has to go directly to them, not through a channeling service, which L-1 must be.  I guess I've gotta apologize again, though, I assumed the FBI check was waaay more expensive--it says it's only $18.

What the heck did I pay $94 for? :blink:  Of course, I bear in mind that the only way the SCSC permits you to have your fingerprinting/background done for the bar is through L-1 Solutions. :whistle: That's nice, SC.  Keep it classy.

Hey, does anyone know why do they fingerprint you for a background check?  Is it to check to see if your prints match anything from unsolved crimes or something?
Kinemalogue