And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 20, 2012, 12:43:36 AM
That call cost me $3!  :mad:

OH FU YOU DIDN'T MENTION IT WAS COSTING MONEY TILL 45 MINUTES IN AND I SAID I WAS SORRY!

And I think you mean 3378 quatloos.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on February 20, 2012, 12:44:06 AM
But could you understand the yokel at all?
His accent wasn't that bad. I've heard much worse here, especially from teachers from England or Ireland.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

We should change this thread title to "Korea- Not Going".

Chocolate covered Christ, Hunter...can you be any more reticent about getting this shit done?  No wonder you're washing dishes with a fucking J.D.

Timmay's trying to hook you up, and you're just bullshitting.  Get the fucking TEFL cert, get your fucking passport, and submit your FBI check.  All it is is a fucking fingerprint check.  Do it this fucking week.

Or, have the balls to tell Timmay you're not really interested.  He's retarded, but he's a big boy, he can take it.

Ideologue

I'm emailing the Korean coordinator right now, about setting up a Skype interview (you said we need video, Tim? she doesn't mention it specifically, but she does use the phrase "see [me]"). :mellow:

Jesus, dude, we started this, what, four days ago?  SORRY I AIN'T ON THE PLANE YET.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also, I've been looking at the city I'll be living in, trying to figure out where shit is in relationship to everything else, and tomorrow I'm going to relearn my Hangul to make that process easier, so: :elvis:
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 01:55:25 AM
Also, I've been looking at the city I'll be living in, trying to figure out where shit is in relationship to everything else, and tomorrow I'm going to relearn my Hangul to make that process easier, so: :elvis:
It's a town of about 40k, but it's a concentrated and dense 40k with two rail stations. There are two cities of 500k and one of 1million within 30 minutes by rail from Jochiwon. Seoul is 45 minutes by KTX, 90 by commuter rail.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

All kidding aside, though, I'm actually getting kind of excited about it now.  It should be fun.  I'll be a soldier in the army of the Anglo-American monoculture, yet distant from actual Americans, and surrounded by Asian women.

When you think about it, it's like inviting me to live in my own personal Maslow's pyramid.

Quote from: TimIt's a town of about 40k, but it's a concentrated and dense 40k with two rail stations. There are two cities of 500k and one of 1million within 30 minutes by rail from Jochiwon. Seoul is 45 minutes by KTX, 90 by commuter rail.

I was gonna ask, is it just the google satellite imagery, or is it really that brown? :P

Lot of farmland to the east.  Large structures on the south side of town--very tall, apartments?
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 01:52:10 AM
Jesus, dude, we started this, what, four days ago?  SORRY I AIN'T ON THE PLANE YET.

Still plenty of time to freak out about the big massive changes this would involve in your life and back out. Or maybe that's just my thing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 01:34:18 AM

Chocolate covered Christ, Hunter...can you be any more reticent about getting this shit done?  No wonder you're washing dishes with a fucking J.D.

Timmay's trying to hook you up, and you're just bullshitting.  Get the fucking TEFL cert, get your fucking passport, and submit your FBI check.  All it is is a fucking fingerprint check.  Do it this fucking week.

Or, have the balls to tell Timmay you're not really interested.  He's retarded, but he's a big boy, he can take it.

:yes:

He's moving at the speed of constipation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 02:24:57 AM
All kidding aside, though, I'm actually getting kind of excited about it now.  It should be fun.  I'll be a soldier in the army of the Anglo-American monoculture, yet distant from actual Americans, and surrounded by Asian women.

When you think about it, it's like inviting me to live in my own personal Maslow's pyramid.

Quote from: TimIt's a town of about 40k, but it's a concentrated and dense 40k with two rail stations. There are two cities of 500k and one of 1million within 30 minutes by rail from Jochiwon. Seoul is 45 minutes by KTX, 90 by commuter rail.

I was gonna ask, is it just the google satellite imagery, or is it really that brown? :P

Lot of farmland to the east.  Large structures on the south side of town--very tall, apartments?

Looks like most of the imagery is from March...so after snow melts and before trees get going on leaves.  Shit will be brown.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2012, 02:27:07 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 01:34:18 AM

:yes:

He's moving at the speed of constipation.

I JUST EMAILED THE COORDINATOR TO SET UP AN INTERVIEW.  GOD'S FUCKING WOUNDS.

Besides, Tim was all like, "Fuck it, you won't be able to start soon anyway," and I was like, "Yeah, there is the matter of the bar exam."  And then Tim was like--a few hours ago--"Hey guess what!  The other guy died or something so they're pretty desperate" and I was all "Oh shit, I guess this is real" and the Korean lady emailed me and I emailed her back even though it's two in the fucking morning in America and Money is going "LOLOLOLOLOL" like usual and now you're pretty much up to date.

I'm pretty sure there ain't no satisfying some of you people unless I teleported straight to Jochiwon and started yelling English phrases at terrified kids right now.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 02:40:48 AM
I'm pretty sure there ain't no satisfying some of you people unless I teleported straight to Jochiwon and started yelling English phrases at terrified kids right now.

At least you'd be doing something.  Macht schnell, dammit.

Ideologue

Anyway, I wonder if my accent has actually improved since Yi met me.  Since I've been aware of it, I've been trying to minimize it, and if law school didn't do anything else, one might expect it improved my elocution.

Oh, well.  That's enough, I gotta get in some CK2 before I go to bed.  Duchy of Modena, take 27. -_-
Kinemalogue

Syt

My guess: Ide will go to Korea, within 3 months of arrival start bitching how crap everything is, how he fails at it/social life and how this is a total waste of his time and that it will remove him even further from meaningful and gainful employment.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on February 20, 2012, 02:51:27 AM
Anyway, I wonder if my accent has actually improved since Yi met me.  Since I've been aware of it, I've been trying to minimize it, and if law school didn't do anything else, one might expect it improved my elocution.

I like to imagine your posts read by the narrator from Dukes of Hazzard.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.