News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Dog Megathread

Started by fhdz, January 25, 2012, 07:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

That's a Rhodesian ridgeback, right 11b4?   Let me know what you think of the breed, was interested in getting one.    :)
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

11B4V

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 31, 2014, 10:22:27 AM
That's a Rhodesian ridgeback, right 11b4?   Let me know what you think of the breed, was interested in getting one.    :)

Yes, Rhodesian Ridgeback.

The old boy I put to rest last week was half Ridgeback, but that half dominated his personality. They are not labs, are more independant thinkers and they operated usually in packs by hunter in Africa. They have a PACK MENTALITY. Incredibly loyal, if they trust you as the owner. They are an athletic type breed that needs to run and have room to excersie. Basically,

In 1652, a Dutch merchant named Jan van Riebeck settled in South Africa and began trading cattle for the native dogs. Other immigrants from Holland, Germany and France followed, becoming Boers (farmers) with their own Africaan language. They crossed the Khoi dogs with their Mastiffs, Bloodhounds, Great Danes, Pointers, Staghounds, Irish Wolfhounds and Greyhounds, among others, to create a breed better adapted than the European breeds to life in Africa and especially well-suited to track wild game. According to an American Kennel Club publication: "The Boers (Africaans for farmers) needed a dog that was resistant to local diseases; able to thrive in spite of extreme temperatures, limited water, rough bush, and relentless ticks; and an extraordinarily brave and cunning hunter, all while being a loyal family dog. Mating European breeds to native ridged Khoi hunting stock, the Boers produced unique dogs that hunted by both sight and scent and were devoted family guardians."

They are often mistaken for lazy couch potatos. Dont be fooled. 

Right now Reggie is pushing around the 9 yo and 17 yo. He has placed himself #3 in the pecking order of the houshold as he sees it. That is only due to there inexpirence in not being around puppies. I will be changing that and working with them.

One thing you will run across talking/reading articles from reputable breeders/trainers of this breed is, "negative reinforcemnet will not work with this breed. They go to pieces and will ignore you."

Do a lot of reading/research on this breed before you decide.

Some helpful stuff below and there is more on the net. Read, call breeders...etc, before you decide.

http://www.kodaridgebacks.com/breed_info/temperament

Here's a good vid showing a Ridgeback at full speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q02b0K-d7ko
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 30, 2014, 10:21:08 PM
The puppy has already taken inventory of 11b's survivalist foods. He describes it as 'ruff'.

:cheers:

Jacob

Awesome looking puppy :) And glad to hear you're going with positive reinforcement in training (at least that's what I'm inferring from you telling us negative reinforcement won't work).

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2014, 08:38:41 PM
Awesome looking puppy :) And glad to hear you're going with positive reinforcement in training (at least that's what I'm inferring from you telling us negative reinforcement won't work).

Ive always used very, very little negative reinforcement. With this one, there will be no negative.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2014, 08:37:08 PM
The puppy has already taken inventory of 11b's survivalist foods. He describes it as 'ruff'.

25 cases of Beggin' Strips have been added to the order list.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 31, 2014, 08:55:10 PM

WHATS IN THE BAG I CANT READ

11B4V

Horrible treats those are. 25 cases of bacon and grain-free dry food.  ;) :P

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on January 31, 2014, 09:48:43 PM

Horrible treats those are. 25 cases of bacon and grain-free dry food.  ;) :P

He'll trade 5.56 ammo for delicious dog treats. Not your horrid dry shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

The friend I watched the Super Bowl at had this little wonder. Didn't someone here become a corgi fan recently? I'm tempted to join that wagon as this guy was just adorable.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

crazy canuck

We have our hands full with our new dog.  She is a perfect angel in the house and in that enviornment it is hard to understand why she flunked out of her working dog training.  Then we take her out for a walk and it becomes immediately apparent.  We are told that she was the alpha female of the bunch.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  I like to work with and train dogs that have a lot of confidence.  But she also has a very low excitement threshold when she gets around other dogs.  Which is also fine so long as the other dogs dont become passive around her.  The second that happens her alpha instincts kick in and play quickly turns into putting those other dogs in their place - particularly small dogs.

So for now she stays on the leash while we work on increasing her tolerance threshold.  Making some good progress but it is certainly a process.

The good thing she is very smart and responds well to positive reinforcement.  But she has a very strong prey drive and its going to take her a while to learn she doesnt have to be master of all she surveys in the dog world.

katmai

:lol:

I can relate sounds exactly like my dog. She insists on bossing any dog she sees and likes to bring me voles and shrews in neighborhood
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

My parents' dog has a strong Alpha female streak in her, and it shows at the dog park;  she will not tolerate any of the male dogs giving her the business, re: too much sniffing back there, and don't even try to mount her.  She's ultra jealous of any dogs giving my Dad any attention at the park. 

However, when I take my sister's dog who is incredibly passive, Maggie the Moron, she will protect her from the other dogs trying to bogart her by mounting them.  :lol:

She's a solid dog, shepard/coonhound mix with a lot of Rottie in her;  I imagine if she were human, she'd be a Latin Queen prison boss at Pelican Bay.

11B4V

4 mos as of yesterday. Around 40 pounds