Previous topic - Next topic

Do you own or rent your home?

Rent
23 (38.3%)
Own (no mortgage)
6 (10%)
Own (mortgage)
26 (43.3%)
I'm a homeless hipster scum (mongers option)
5 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Eddie Teach

I live in a van down by the river.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Buying a square meter of appartment in the city I live roughly costs the national monthly median household income. That's like spending about 9% of the monthly median household income per square feet. How does that compare to other places?

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on January 19, 2012, 05:10:26 PM
Buying a square meter of appartment in the city I live roughly costs the national monthly median household income. That's like spending about 9% of the monthly median household income per square feet. How does that compare to other places?

The median monthly income in Poland is about 3000 zlotys. A square meter of a not-particularly-fancy flat in Warsaw center is around 8-10 thousand zlotys. I bought my new one for 13,000. Prices can go up to 35,000 in one of these top new apartment buildings.

Renting a small flat in city centre (30-40 square metros) is about 2,000 zloty per month plus water, electricity etc. if you are not looking for a particularly high standard.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

The median monthly income in Poland is about 3000 zlotys. A square meter of a not-particularly-fancy flat in Warsaw center is around 8-10 thousand zlotys. I bought my new one for 13,000.

Gee, your flat looked bigger than 1.3 square meters or so in the pics.  :)

Martinus

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2012, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2012, 05:26:52 PM

The median monthly income in Poland is about 3000 zlotys. A square meter of a not-particularly-fancy flat in Warsaw center is around 8-10 thousand zlotys. I bought my new one for 13,000.

Gee, your flat looked bigger than 1.3 square meters or so in the pics.  :)

13,000 per metre. :P

100 metres (plus a parking space in an underground garage and 16 square metres of balcony that came "free").

Iormlund

Varies widely. Price for these apartments before the bubble burst was over twice median household income per square meter. A couple hundred meters from here at least two or three times as much. Can't say how much they are worth now since nobody buys anything anymore.

You might find something for just median monthly household income if you don't mind living among Gypsies or loads of poor immigrants in places like the Barrio Oliver or Delicias. But I would.

Grey Fox

Today, I rent
Tomorrow, I own with mortgage. Voted that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Own, with mortgage, getting four and a quarter.

My house is a 1915 Craftsman.
and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

I've mostly lived in hotels for the past 3 years, letting the taxpayer patriotically pay for it.

MadImmortalMan

Should have had underwater/not underwater mortgage options.   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

Quote from: fahdiz on January 19, 2012, 06:11:32 PM

Fixed?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 19, 2012, 06:24:34 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on January 19, 2012, 06:11:32 PM

Fixed?

Yes sir. FHA.

The rates are so good right now people in my immediate area are getting/refinancing to as low as 3.75. It's a fucking bonanza.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

I've seen ads on TV for refi at 2.89, but by no-name companies.

Josquius

Rent.
This is probably the way of the future, with jobs for life dying out and city living coming in vogue it makes no sense to buy a house.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on January 19, 2012, 06:50:01 PM
Rent.
This is probably the way of the future, with jobs for life dying out and city living coming in vogue it makes no sense to buy a house.

I think so, yes. There will always be a significant portion of the population that will not make that change, but I think it will continue to move that direction.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers