Previous topic - Next topic

Do you own or rent your home?

Rent
23 (38.3%)
Own (no mortgage)
6 (10%)
Own (mortgage)
26 (43.3%)
I'm a homeless hipster scum (mongers option)
5 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 21, 2012, 12:15:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 20, 2012, 06:21:56 AMDepends on where;  I doubt Otto would have the same level of success in east Baltimore as he does in Frednecksburg.

Depends...what are the gun laws in Baltimore?  :lol:

Although I've never done it, you can actually make pretty solid money off of poor people if you rent to Section 8 people; you receive your rent payments from HUD, are insulated from the vagaries of poor person finances, and because HUD actually helps place people into homes you essentially have free marketing/tenant searching.

Problem is, Maryland--and Baltimore in particular--make it ungodly difficult to evict shitty tenants, and it's a process that takes forever.

I've known bail bondsmen that tried their hand at rental properties with Section 8, and it's telling when they'd rather get back into bail bonds because the income is more reliable.   :lol:

Tonitrus

I've been looking at condos in the Annapolis area (in case I get moved out there), and I'd much rather buy than rent...but Maryland seems like a dangerous area to be stuck with a property I couldn't rent out if I move again.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on January 21, 2012, 01:03:20 PM
As far as I can tell, the best tenant demographic are foreign students. They are often willing to pay above-market rates as they don't know better, leave again by themselves after 6 to 12 months, and you can rent out places that are badly maintained and would need renovation for a proper local tenant.
If I was to rent properties I'd target students in somewhere like Bristol.  They pay above-market rates (student housing was about double the cost of normal housing in Bristol) and many students are being paid for by very rich parents which means it can be even higher.

As you say most students care less about maintenance too.  My housemates and I are the only people I know who always got our deposits back in full - by obsessive week-long cleaning - almost everyone else got money taken off.

Edit:  I rent though.  I know people who pay about as much as I do on a mortgage but the chance of me being able to get a mortgage this side of 30 are nil :(
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Are you under 30 Sheilbh??? I can't believe any of the people who have been posting here since the beginning are under 35  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 21, 2012, 11:40:20 PM
Are you under 30 Sheilbh??? I can't believe any of the people who have been posting here since the beginning are under 35  :lol:

Really? We're only at what - the 9th year of this place?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Yeah, at least Sheilbh, g, and me are under 30.  (For now. -_- )  Actually, I think HMBob is too.  Ortiz is 30, but he's, well, he's young at heart.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Yeah, I think he started posting on Paradox when he was 17. In Sheilbh's case it's doubly surprising, as he has always sounded so mature.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Martinus on January 22, 2012, 04:50:50 AM

Yeah, I think he started posting on Paradox when he was 17. In Sheilbh's case it's doubly surprising, as he has always sounded so mature.

I put that down to his aristocratic upbringing  :cool:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 22, 2012, 05:24:02 AM

The castle does have an exceptional library :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2012, 05:32:49 AM

You live in a castle? :o

CountDeMoney

That's because he's British.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on January 22, 2012, 05:41:38 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2012, 05:32:49 AM

You live in a castle? :o

That's because he's British.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on January 22, 2012, 12:20:53 AM
Yeah, at least Sheilbh, g, and me are under 30.  (For now. -_- )  Actually, I think HMBob is too.  Ortiz is 30, but he's, well, he's young at heart.

HVC & I are still a couple of years away from being 30.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.