And we're back!

Main Menu

Paradox making a Cold War game

Started by Maladict, July 02, 2012, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 07, 2014, 03:31:49 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2014, 12:40:58 AM
I still think that the underlying Vicky systems (spheres of influence, limited wars, trade & economy focus, strong focus on gaining prestige over your peers, more intricate political system etc.) would make for a better Cold War game basis than HoI's combat/war focus.

Agreed.
I have actually been playing around with Vic 2 a bit, now that the game is set (no more expansions and patches) and the big mod projects have released their finals as well.  It plays pretty well overall if not quite as immersive as CK2, and the diplo system in the final version is actually pretty good.

What are some of the good mods?

Maladict

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2014, 03:55:54 PM
Who is the fat guy with odd shirt?

It's Johan. It was posted as revenge for killing off the game.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Yeah, it looks like him.  He lost a lot of weight.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Habbaku on March 07, 2014, 08:21:32 PM
Yeah, it looks like him.  He lost a lot of weight.
Before or after the photo?
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: PRC on March 07, 2014, 05:54:52 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 07, 2014, 03:31:49 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2014, 12:40:58 AM
I still think that the underlying Vicky systems (spheres of influence, limited wars, trade & economy focus, strong focus on gaining prestige over your peers, more intricate political system etc.) would make for a better Cold War game basis than HoI's combat/war focus.

Agreed.
I have actually been playing around with Vic 2 a bit, now that the game is set (no more expansions and patches) and the big mod projects have released their finals as well.  It plays pretty well overall if not quite as immersive as CK2, and the diplo system in the final version is actually pretty good.

What are some of the good mods?

I've been using PDM - seems stable so far and the economy runs well if not ultra-realistically.
The other big improvement projects one was the big competitor but they never released a version for the last expansion.
I would definitely play with the last expansion because it cleaned up issues with colonization and added the crisis sytem which is a fun wild card to the diplo system.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on July 02, 2012, 02:11:49 PM
Well, looking at P'dox catalogue the game should probably be more along the lines of Victoria - internal politics, research, spheres of influence, a world market (oil embargo, consumer products or lack thereof come to mind), a focus on prestige, the expeditions mechanic that could be adapted to the space race . . .

This sounds pretty interesting, though just read more of the thread and I see the game has been cancelled. I did like the idea of a Vicky type setting for a game like this.

Josquius

Vicky 2 remains a bit too focused on twitch gaming IMO. Getting colonies has nothing to do with diplomacy (which is how things worked) and are rather about who builds their stages quicker

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2014, 03:23:24 PM
At least they have learned when its time to cut bait - unlike what happened with the Russian developer that had the first crack at CK1
That worked out very well in the end though. Imagine a world without CK :o
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on March 12, 2014, 01:34:38 AM
Vicky 2 remains a bit too focused on twitch gaming IMO. Getting colonies has nothing to do with diplomacy (which is how things worked) and are rather about who builds their stages quicker

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2014, 03:23:24 PM
At least they have learned when its time to cut bait - unlike what happened with the Russian developer that had the first crack at CK1
That worked out very well in the end though. Imagine a world without CK :o

It would have been even better if Johan hadnt waited so long to take over the project.