News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Finland's presidential elections

Started by Solmyr, January 11, 2012, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

All the cool people are electing presidents this year. The Finnish president doesn't have a lot of power and is mainly a representative figurehead, but can have significant authority and personal influence on people's views.

Here's an overview of the candidates in Finland (the preliminary elections just started, main election day is 22nd of January).

Sauli Niinistö, National Coalition party (center-right, an odd mix of conservatives and neo-liberals; they won the last parliamentary elections and hold the prime minister position at the moment). Pro-EU, favors responsible economic policy; was finance minister in the 90s. Enjoys good relations with the EU and the US. The only candidate to consistently get 40-50% support in polls (even among voters who don't support his party), seen as very likely to win, although there will most likely be a second round with him vs someone else. He's the one I'm voting for.

Timo Soini, True Finns party (anti-immigration, anti-EU nationalists with leftist economic policies; they came in second in the last elections but remained in opposition due to major disagreements with other big parties). A populist and demagogue who bases his image on making provocative statements; he favors withdrawal from the EU. His party is basically centered around him and would likely splinter otherwise, although they gained a lot of support in the recent elections.

Paavo Väyrynen, Center party (agrarian types; suffered a crushing defeat in the last elections but headed the government before then). He's been in politics for several decades now and many see him as a remnant of Cold War times, but he's been gaining popularity recently by poaching on Soini's supporters via adopting an anti-EU stance and speaking out for a return to old Finnish currency. May well be the other candidate in the second round.

Paavo Lipponen, Social Democrats (the other major party currently in the government). He is pretty right-wing despite being a Social Democrat. Was prime minister in the 90s (in the same government where Niinistö was finance minister). Known for his stubbornness and authoritarian attitude. Also criticized for being corrupt and self-serving (he worked as a consultant for Russia's Gazprom for a while). Oldest candidate at 70. All this has hurt his public image a lot, so he's unlikely to gain a lot of votes.

Pekka Haavisto, Green party (who also lost badly in the last elections). Has wide international experience (especially in working in Africa; he was EU representative in Sudan and Darfur) and is known for being very reasonable and well-spoken. He even criticizes the radicals of his own party. Is openly gay (living in a registered union with an Ecuadorian man), which has been used against him. Has a chance of getting to second round, as his supporters have rallied a lot in the last couple of weeks, and he's popular among young people.

Paavo Arhinmäki, Left Alliance (a smaller party who are in the government). The most leftist and youngest candidate (he's 35), was a radical and a football hooligan, now he's minister of sports and culture. Favors the usual leftist policies, anti-NATO, anti-racism, etc.

Sari Essayah, Christian Democrats (who hold one ministerial position in the government, that of minister of the interior). She's half-Moroccan. Member of EU parliament but EU-critical. Not likely to get many votes.

Eva Biaudet, Swedish National party (for the Swedish minority living in Finland; they are traditionally included in every government despite having a very small support base). Presses for rights of immigrants and minorities, sometimes a bit too much, and is generally leftist-idealist in outlook. Not likely to get many votes.

Anyway, it looks like the second round will be Niinistö vs someone else (most likely Väyrynen or Haavisto), with Niinistö winning. Surprises are possible, though.

Valmy

Niinisto, for somebody with such a seemingly rational political program, looks like a crazy man in the pic.  Like the Finnish Presidency is just a front for his crazy super villain scheme.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2012, 09:23:35 AM
Niinisto, for somebody with such a seemingly rational political program, looks like a crazy man in the pic.

Hah, this is a subject of many jokes here too. I give you another pic:

Barrister

Wait - I thought Solmyr was a Russian, not a Finn...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

I am, but I've lived in Finland for the last 20 years.

Admiral Yi

Yowza, Finns are some pale motherfuckers. 

Palest in the world you figure?  Icelanders?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2012, 09:46:55 AM
Yowza, Finns are some pale motherfuckers. 

Even the half Moroccan lady gets pale when you live in a land with so little sun.  At least you have nice saunas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2012, 09:23:35 AM
Niinisto, for somebody with such a seemingly rational political program, looks like a crazy man in the pic.  Like the Finnish Presidency is just a front for his crazy super villain scheme.
I kind of picture the typical Finn as looking like that.

Jacob

Yeah, Finns are often pretty crazy looking. Timo Soini looks like an anthropomorphic pig cartoon villain in that picture.

Solmyr, how come you live in Finland?

Martinus

Wtf. Nos. 1, 4 and 5 are the same guy.  :huh:

Martinus

QuotePaavo Lipponen, Social Democrats (the other major party currently in the government). He is pretty right-wing despite being a Social Democrat. [...]Also criticized for being corrupt and self-serving (he worked as a consultant for Russia's Gazprom for a while).

Sounds like a typical Central European social-democrat. :D

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2012, 01:00:27 PM
Solmyr, how come you live in Finland?

Moved here when my mother married a Finnish man (it was the time of the great exodus from the disintegrating USSR). I've pretty much integrated here since then.

Solmyr

Some fun facts about Niinistö. He was engaged for a while to Tanja Karpela, Miss Finland 1991, but the engagement broke off. He was in Thailand when the 2004 tsunami struck and barely survived along with his two sons (from his first wife, who died in a car crash in the 90s). He is now married to a woman 30 years his junior. :D He also ran in the previous presidential elections in 2006 against the incumbent president Tarja Halonen, but lost very narrowly (48% vs Halonen's 52%), so this is his second chance.

Sheilbh

I'd vote Väyrynen, Haavisto or Essayah I think.  They sound good.

Even for Northerners these people are very pale though.  Haavisto looks almost transparent.
Let's bomb Russia!