And we're back!

Main Menu

Hail to the King! ...of the Jews?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 04, 2012, 10:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

WTF?  :huh:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2012/02/pastor-eddie-long-king.html

QuotePastor Eddie Long is elevated to king, but of what?
February 3, 2012 | 11:56 am

Eddie Long, pastor of a Georgia megachurch and no stranger to controversy, is learning the hard way that, as popular wisdom holds, it is indeed good to be king -- but it may not be all it's cracked up to be.

In a video that has gone viral, Long is named king by Ralph Messer, a self-described messianic rabbi from Colorado. As part of the ceremony, which has been roundly condemned, Long is wrapped in  what is purported to be a 312-year-old Torah scroll. The video also shows him, while seated in a chair, being carried around the stage of his New Birth Missionary Baptist Church to the joy of an obviously enraptured congregation.

"He now is raised up from a commoner to a kingship," Messer shouts as he watches what seems to be a teary Long, wrapped in a traditional Jewish prayer shawl, being carried.

Long once was one of the best-known televangelists in the United States; at its peak, New Birth claimed more than 25,000 congregants, with Long's voice and image resonating around the world through sermons and broadcasts.

In recent years, several Southern televangelists fell from public grace because of their complicated personal lives, and Long's public image has taken a bit of beating itself.

Two years ago, four young men accused him of coercing them into having sex, charges Long denied. Last year, the lawsuits were settled out of court and the terms have not been disclosed.

As for Messer, he describes himself on his congregation's website as "president and founder" of Simchat Torah Beit Midrash -- a congregation and school based in Colorado. "With an Apostolic and Evangelistic anointing, Rabbi Messer actively teaches the Hebrew Roots of the Christian Faith."

The congregation describes itself as "a community of Jewish and non-Jewish believers in Yeshua HaMashiach (Jesus Christ)." Messer doesn't claim any connection to the more traditional branches of Judaism.

In the Old Testament, Jews do have kings, famously anointed by great prophets, as Samuel did for Saul.

But there is no Jewish ceremony in which a person is wrapped in a Torah scroll. The ceremony of carrying does not come from the Old or New Testament and does not exist as part of a coronation. It is usually associated as a celebratory gesture by European Jews to lift, for example, a bridegroom, above his brethren at a wedding.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

The Torah says only an israeli can rule over israel.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on February 04, 2012, 10:59:00 PM
The Torah says only an israeli can rule over israel.
It says nothing of the sort.  Besides, these days Russians rule over Israel.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

You know what?  Fuck democracy.  We need to start arresting these people.  The village idiots need to be protected from their own stupidity.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on February 05, 2012, 07:34:20 AM
You know what?  Fuck democracy.  We need to start arresting these people.  The village idiots need to be protected from their own stupidity.
Now you're just being silly
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on February 05, 2012, 07:59:58 AM
I'm grumpy. :)
You should bust into the church dressed as a centurion and demand they "render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's".

1 Karma Chameleon point

Scipio

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 05, 2012, 08:06:39 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 05, 2012, 07:59:58 AM
I'm grumpy. :)
You should bust into the church dressed as a centurion and demand they "render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's".
Caesar was never a ranker.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

The True King of the Jews disapproves of the title of this thread.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.