News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Simplicity Vs Complexity In Modern Living.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2012, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: garbon link=topic=6761.msg361885#msg361885

I don't really understand how one design flaw that was later rectified has any role in this.

But why make that mistake in the first place with something thats the defining function of a phone ?  Most other manufacturers seemed to have been able to avoid that problem.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2012, 03:14:59 PM

I don't really understand how one design flaw that was later rectified has any role in this.

But why make that mistake in the first place with something thats the defining function of a phone ?  Most other manufacturers seemed to have been able to avoid that problem.

I think that's a side question and not really on about simplicity or lack thereof.

I think as smartphones have shown the defining function of a phone is evolving.  Much in the same way that the internet evolved the defining function of a computer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2012, 03:14:59 PM

If it was just a phone it would not make my life more simple.  The fact that it is so much more than a phone and it is simple to use does simplify my life.

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2012, 03:12:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2012, 02:52:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2012, 02:46:25 PM
Not per the opening context of this thread. The first post was explicitly against the complexity of smartphones.

I imagine it takes quite a lot of thought to make a single speed bike worth it, though it is the 'simpler' option.

I'm not sure it is, sometimes the simple solution is the best, cheapest, quickest, most obvious solution to a specific problem.

But most bikes are sold as consumer durables, where a longer list of functions and specifications, wins out over simpler designs, the consumers thinks they're getting more, where as it's just extra stuff they have to move with their own limited motive power. 

So many people end up with a bike that has 27+ gears (many not usable), front and rear suspension and impressive looking tyres rather than asking someone experience to help them find the bike for their needs.

heh, I remember back when I was a kid and the amount of "gears" your bike had was seen as how good your bike was and a defining status symbol.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on January 10, 2012, 07:32:49 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 10, 2012, 03:12:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 10, 2012, 02:52:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 10, 2012, 02:46:25 PM
Not per the opening context of this thread. The first post was explicitly against the complexity of smartphones.

I imagine it takes quite a lot of thought to make a single speed bike worth it, though it is the 'simpler' option.

I'm not sure it is, sometimes the simple solution is the best, cheapest, quickest, most obvious solution to a specific problem.

But most bikes are sold as consumer durables, where a longer list of functions and specifications, wins out over simpler designs, the consumers thinks they're getting more, where as it's just extra stuff they have to move with their own limited motive power. 

So many people end up with a bike that has 27+ gears (many not usable), front and rear suspension and impressive looking tyres rather than asking someone experience to help them find the bike for their needs.

heh, I remember back when I was a kid and the amount of "gears" your bike had was seen as how good your bike was and a defining status symbol.

Oddly I popped out this afternoon to a town 10 miles away, to pick up something and it only took me 35-36 minutes to get back, I'd assumed a single speed would have been a lot slower.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"